Photo

Excessive CPU useage by menu_cached process

Best Answer ylee, 15 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

I have added the hopeful last set of potential fixes from upstream into the repo. Please let us know if this fixes the menu-cache issue reported here. It should in theory and it does for me locally on my test machines.

Just run your system updates as normal to install them. Or if you would prefer not to update your entire system the below should suffice:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libmenu-cache3 libmenu-cache-bin

If these  packages cause any additional issues NOT related to the menu-cache issue please open a new support thread. Thanks for your time and patience.

I think I speak for more than myself on this but, Thanks ylee for all your time and effort in keeping Bodhi Linux one of the best distro's around!

Thanks Randy :D But really no need to thanks me. It is all in days work or in this case almost a weeks work. And really the true thanks goes to Andriy who had an interest and motivation to fix an LXDE library which worked fine in LXDE to accommodate changes in EFL and who quickly knew how to modify the menu-cache code based up the errors showing up in my debugging sessions. It would have taken me days if not weeks to get to that level of competency  with that code base. 

Regardless I have always contributed back to Open-source as long as I have been using it. This predates my usage of Bodhi. It is just I am really visible here and Bodhi members of course notice.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 craigus

craigus

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for your efforts, ylee. I hope that you and those close to you will be OK during and after the weather event.

In the meantime, I persist with my own innovative solution described earlier :rolleyes:

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12503 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

I've put some new libmenucache packages in the main repo that may or may not fix the issue. Please upgrade and see. Testing here as well. 

#23 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4571 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

I've put some new libmenucache packages in the main repo that may or may not fix the issue. Please upgrade and see. Testing here as well. 

No improvement on my computer.

Enjoy,

Charles

#24 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

I was so optimistic when I read this:

But alas it doesn't work :(

For the record those new menu-cache deb files appear to come from the lubuntu-dev PPA.

I had already tried menu-cache from git but that was before the last two commits. Both commits seemed related to issues we have been having, and I have found yet another related issue. Menu-caches behavior when moksha/enlightenment is restarted. That brings up what I said earlier:

However If I go back to the previous commit and compile efl at commit elput: Fix resource leak then both pcmanfm as well as the menu-cache menu item work as expected. In other words some latter commit is the one breaking the menu-cache menu item. That one I haven't tried git bisect on. (That process took most of yesterday for me to go thru due to the length of time for efl to compile).

I was wrong here, menu-cache/pcmanfm work fine at the commit  elput: Fix resource leak until  moksha/enlightenment is restarted :( In my git bisecting I was not testing what happens after an e restart. It didn't occur to me that the behavior would be different. It was something I noticed latter playing with various promising efl packages. I have efl 1.19.1 patched deb files that work fine UNTIL I restart moksha. Then the same issue manifest itself again.

So essentially I am back to doing more git bisecting as with efl 1.18.4 it all works fine even after an e-restart :(

Thanks for your efforts, ylee. I hope that you and those close to you will be OK during and after the weather event.

In the meantime, I persist with my own innovative solution described earlier :rolleyes:

Thanks craigus, all is well here. I just had some high winds and lots of rain. Spent the day cleaning up tree branches and debris from my yard.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#25 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:26 AM

Been in communication with LStranger (Andrej N. Gritsenko) an LXDE developer and we have some progress in debugging this issue. Still not completely solved but it is looking good. I will let you know more as it develops.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#26 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12503 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

Another set of potential fixes from upstream into the repo. Please let me know if this seems to help folks seeing this issue (just run your system updates as normal to get them). 

#27 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4571 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

Another set of potential fixes from upstream into the repo. Please let me know if this seems to help folks seeing this issue (just run your system updates as normal to get them). 

Using Open with in PCManFM and giving a custom command still shows 1 core at 100 %, so no progress.

#28 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12503 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

Ahh looks like the update they are referencing isn't in their PPA yet. Should rebuild some time soon. Will post when there is another update. 

#29 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

Using Open with in PCManFM and giving a custom command still shows 1 core at 100 %, so no progress.

Ahh looks like the update they are referencing isn't in their PPA yet. Should rebuild some time soon. Will post when there is another update.

He is still working on it Charles and Jeff, we have made progress tho. With his latest git commits Menu-cache is not at 100% anymore, nor is it after an e restart. (with efl 1.19.1, haven't been testing on latter versions of efl -- I am hoping for the best regarding latter versions)

It still has one outstanding issue and that is: The Application functionality of pcmanfm if it is enabled in pcmanfm settings doesn't function unless pcmanfm is started in a terminal :unsure:   (enlightenment/EFL desktops only, works fine in LXDE).  I have been doing the debugging and Andriy doing the patching of menu-cache so it is a little slow going. All thru e-mail and all as time and our work schedules permit. 

@Jeff that LXDE-dev PPA you are using is about one day behind the git commits. So I would anticipate maybe two or more days before this is fully fixed and the fix in said PPA.  And that is assuming my last e-mail has enough information for Andriy to fully and correctly deal with the Application issue pcmanfm is now having. That is assuming the fix to come doesn't cause further issues or we don't discover further issues.

The last few relevant responses from Andriy:

You wrote to me:
[.......]

>.xsession-errors when it doesn't work:
>(pcmanfm:1129): Menu-Cache-CRITICAL **: fail to re-connect to the server.

This is pretty much bad. I suppose it's related to accept() errors handling
which was changed. If that's the case then you'll see menu-cached restarts
often. I would appreciate it if you could gather strace from menu-cached,
please, that should shed a light on what happens, maybe another case have
to be added besides (errno == ECONNABORTED) as a valid failure condition.
Thank you in advance!

With best regards,
    Andriy.

I sent a huge strace file at this point clearly showing, I was hoping anyway,  the Application malfunction of pcmanfm.

Hi again!

Nevermind my last letter, I've found everything in your strace. Working
on it. Thank you very much.

With best regards,
    Andriy.

This is one of things I absolutely love about Open-source, Developers are so accessible and almost always very helpful. That is if you ask the right way and provide the right information and are willing and able to help in the process :)

#30 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4571 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Very much like the way you are working together. Too bad this stuff is beyond my skills.

Enjoy,

Charles

#31 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

That's why Ylee's title is "King of the Software page" :)

#32 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Very much like the way you are working together. Too bad this stuff is beyond my skills.

Enjoy,

Charles

Thanks Charles :D I am putting a lot of time into this as I suppose he is also. I am very very grateful he has an interest in this as this library works fine in LXDE. At this point I have stopped hunting for specific efl commits which broke menu-cache functionality and letting Andriy attempt to patch the menu-cache code to address the errors this library is getting when running under EFL. I am hoping he doesn't get discouraged or lose interest as I feel we are close to a real solution. Also on a plus side i am following his commits and have gone over some of  the 'socket' code in EFL so I am learning some stuff about that kind of programming which I have never had any experience with. So it is all good :D

That's why Ylee's title is "King of the Software page" :)

The Title "king of the Software page" is sorta obsolete these days as I no longer have anything to do with our app center. Perhaps I should have it changed to something else like  Debugging hard a** issues no else wants to mess with but we need fixed.  :lol: Some of the Team members know we have enough of these issue to keep me busy indefinitely. It seems every time I get one fixed I add another or more to the list. A few have me completely stumped and are on hold. Hopefully I will get back to them sometime  B)

#33 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

I am tentatively proclaiming that with his latest commits Andriy (LStranger) has fixed this issue. Menu-cache is now patched to address the issue we were having using pcmanfm and this library and efl 1.19.1. I have not tested any latter versions of EFL(or enlightenment) but do not anticipate any issues. Give it a few days for the LXDE-dev PPA to add the new deb files and either Jeff or I can put them in Bodhis repo.

Thanks all for the patience all have shown in this issue.

#34 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

I think I speak for more than myself on this but, Thanks ylee for all your time and effort in keeping Bodhi Linux one of the best distro's around!

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#35 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:27 AM   Best Answer

I have added the hopeful last set of potential fixes from upstream into the repo. Please let us know if this fixes the menu-cache issue reported here. It should in theory and it does for me locally on my test machines.

Just run your system updates as normal to install them. Or if you would prefer not to update your entire system the below should suffice:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libmenu-cache3 libmenu-cache-bin

If these  packages cause any additional issues NOT related to the menu-cache issue please open a new support thread. Thanks for your time and patience.

Thanks Randy :D But really no need to thanks me. It is all in days work or in this case almost a weeks work. And really the true thanks goes to Andriy who had an interest and motivation to fix an LXDE library which worked fine in LXDE to accommodate changes in EFL and who quickly knew how to modify the menu-cache code based up the errors showing up in my debugging sessions. It would have taken me days if not weeks to get to that level of competency  with that code base. 

Regardless I have always contributed back to Open-source as long as I have been using it. This predates my usage of Bodhi. It is just I am really visible here and Bodhi members of course notice.

#36 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

Just have tried the updated packages under EFL 1.20 (last git version). It seems to be solved here :)

Thx Ylee and Andriy

#37 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4571 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Seems to work here.

Bodhi 4.2.0-64 fully updated as off today.

PCManFM > Open with.. > custom command --> no issues

PCManFM > Left pane Applications --> no issues

Thanks to all involved, great work !!

Enjoy,

Charles

#38 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12503 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Looks to be fixed here! Not only does it fix the cpu issue - but the applications menu entry is functional for the first time ever.

#39 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

Looks to be fixed here! Not only does it fix the cpu issue - but the applications menu entry is functional for the first time ever.

I made sure the Applications menu would also be fixed. It was a related but separate issue, took another commit or so on Andriys part. Me just sending an gdb backtrace illustrating the issue.

But anyway I beleive this issue is fixed and we can move on to other projects, issues, and or bugs.  B)

#40 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

Thank you ylee! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users