• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arundinem

Arundinem

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Greetings!

I have a problem when playing youtube videos. The video is loading (loading symbol shows up) every few seconds, but according to the grey buffering stripe, it shouldn't have to load. If I load the video fully, before start to play it, the same happens. I'm playing it max. in 480p.

Background: I have switched from Lubuntu to Bodhi, because after a few years of use, Lubuntu started to freeze on me every time. I thought it was a kernel problem (my old computer and the kernel 4.X don't get along).

Hardver: Dell Latitude D620: Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz; 2 GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

The question is: Can I determine, exactly what causes this problem? If it's not the old hardware, can I solve it somehow?

I'm not so familiar with the shell script.

Thank you in advance for the asnwers!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Even low res YouTube is pretty resource intensive. Have you tried using the extensions to use something like mplayer to play the videos instead of relying on the webrowser?

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

I used minitube app for watching YT videos on low resource NTB in the past...

http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

It should be in the repository.

Using SMTube is also another solution but minitube has got a typing suggestions... 

PS: how good was the YT performance under Lubuntu and what browser did/do you use?

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

To make things run more efficiently on a lo-spec machine (which the D620 is not, in my opinion), you just might wind up becoming more knowledgeable in Linux--a definite plus. Our Bodhi teammates have a few questions which would help us find a solution, so please reply when you can. I have a few ideas of my own.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#5 cooler

cooler

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

Hardver: Dell Latitude D620: Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz; 2 GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

The question is: Can I determine, exactly what causes this problem? If it's not the old hardware, can I solve it somehow?

You should consider your D620 as old hardware. Youtube is nowadays resource-hungry.

You could install gnome-system-monitor and take a look at what's "eating" your CPU-cycles. My bet is the youtube running keeps your CPU at 100%.

You could just lower the resolution or your expectations.

#6 Arundinem

Arundinem

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

Even low res YouTube is pretty resource intensive. Have you tried using the extensions to use something like mplayer to play the videos instead of relying on the webrowser?

Yes, I thought about that, but the other lightweight distro doesn't have this problem for years. So my simple logic tells me, that it must be some compatibility issue between my D620 and the distro.

I'll try this mplayer solution on this week.

#7 Arundinem

Arundinem

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

I used minitube app for watching YT videos on low resource NTB in the past...

http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

It should be in the repository.

Using SMTube is also another solution but minitube has got a typing suggestions... 

PS: how good was the YT performance under Lubuntu and what browser did/do you use?

There was no problem with the playback, if I remember correctly (Lubuntu). Under Lubuntu, the problem was the freezing and sudden system restarting. I used an up-to-date Chromium and Firefox, just like now. I'll tried to use Midori, but the updating doesn't work for me somehow, so YouTube is out of the question in that browser.
I'll see into this minitube and SMTube on this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users