Photo

Slow wireless

Best Answer Jayan Tashi, 28 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

Shall we mark this as answered, perhaps..

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

I noticed my internet connection was getting very slow. So I ran a speed test and found out I was at 1mbps when my phone was at 78.99mbps! I used lshw to find out what wireless card i had but the output was not clear to me. 

*-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 1
       bus info: usb@2:6
       logical name: wlx001644bd50a0
       serial: 00:16:44:bd:50:a0
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8187 driverversion=4.11.0-14-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.142 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

I ran this command and I got a better idea about the adapter:

michel@michel-Satellite-U400:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:8197 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless Adapter
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f2:b008 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd USB 2.0 Camera
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0930:0508 Toshiba Corp. Integrated Bluetooth HCI
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Am I using the right driver?

Thanks,

Michel

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

Found this solution, but would appreciate feedback and guidance.

http://manpages.ubun...w.4freebsd.html

Michel

#3 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:25 AM

Imho, less than potentially a Bodhi Linux issue as long as the wifi is already up and running. One good thing about Bodhi is that it is built on top of Ubuntu and Debian, the primary reason other than Buddhism why I keep returning. This means that whatever wifi drivers that you are using potentially came from the Ubuntu and Debian repositories, and since you are online, viola, as far as I am concerned this is less of a router issue either. Could it be that your wireless signal is weak from where your Bodhi Linux machine is positioned? One way that can verify that all is sane is grabbing a long Ethernet cable and connecting your router directly with the Bodhi machine. From your problem description above, the ethernet cable should ultimately deliver the same or faster broadband speed as your smartphone in contrast with the wifi connection on Bodhi. While I could have gone ahead and asked about whether the wifi card is a N or B or G, I would miss the point about why Bodhi is open-source by solving the hardware vendor's behaviour.

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

#4 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:10 AM

Imho, less than potentially a Bodhi Linux issue as long as the wifi is already up and running. One good thing about Bodhi is that it is built on top of Ubuntu and Debian, the primary reason other than Buddhism why I keep returning. This means that whatever wifi drivers that you are using potentially came from the Ubuntu and Debian repositories, and since you are online, viola, as far as I am concerned this is less of a router issue either. Could it be that your wireless signal is weak from where your Bodhi Linux machine is positioned? One way that can verify that all is sane is grabbing a long Ethernet cable and connecting your router directly with the Bodhi machine. From your problem description above, the ethernet cable should ultimately deliver the same or faster broadband speed as your smartphone in contrast with the wifi connection on Bodhi. While I could have gone ahead and asked about whether the wifi card is a N or B or G, I would miss the point about why Bodhi is open-source by solving the hardware vendor's behaviour.

The issue was resolved by itself, thanks. 

#5 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1678 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Could you tell us how (if possible)? I like the friendly and informative approach on the forum. It could help some users in case of their troubles...

• sef likes this

#6 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

I believe it was a mix of ISP and home router issues. We are on cable so sometimes the bandwidth is shred by too many people and results in a slowdown, but my laptop was doing worse than others probably because i can only use the 2.4 wireless and maybe because the Linux drivers are not optimized? Maybe the effects of an update?

I rebooted the router and hoped for the best and things started going a bit better.

Michel

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1077 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

my isp sucks big time.  way too many issues.  have to reset the router all the time.  kind of stuck between a rock and a rock and a turtle.

have to suck it up and use as is.

I am glad that maybe it is a bit better now for you.

#8 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:07 AM   Best Answer

Shall we mark this as answered, perhaps..

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users