• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thechosenone

thechosenone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hello All Good People, I'm New to The Linux World and New to This Forum. I was a Windows User For a Long,Long Time and after about 20 Years
I got Tired of the Crap that was coming through my PC. My Last OS was Windows 10, Then I Read That Linux is A lot Better and I won't get Viruses, Malware with Linux. I needed a Linux Operating System that will Be Similar to Windows. I Tried Almost Every Kind of Linux that was on Distrowatch.com and Believe me it took over 125 DVD'S and then Suddenly a Friend from Youtube said that Linux was the Best.  :unsure: Now, Being Newbie, I would Like to Ask Anyone on the Forum to Help & Show me How to Install an AI Voice Desktop Assistant. You See, I have Glaucoma in Both Eyes and I Need a Program Like Microsoft's "Cortana" that will Answer all I Tell it to do, Like Opening Documents, Reading and Sending Emails, or Going to a Specific Website. Could Anyone Help Me with This Matter? Thank You All and God Bless, Edward

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

Hello All Good People, I'm New to The Linux World and New to This Forum. I was a Windows User For a Long,Long Time and after about 20 Years
I got Tired of the Crap that was coming through my PC. My Last OS was Windows 10, Then I Read That Linux is A lot Better and I won't get Viruses, Malware with Linux...

Personally I think Linux is a lot better than Windows, it better meets my needs and philosophy. But don't buy the hype, you certainly can get viruses and malware and more with linux. I could easily write such code and with some effort and time perfect it. Lets rephrase that and say that with a good linux distro and a users that sticks to software installed from the official sources and doesn't mess with system defaults much then said linux distro is a bit harder to infect with malware and the like.

Now, Being Newbie, I would Like to Ask Anyone on the Forum to Help & Show me How to Install an AI Voice Desktop Assistant. You See, I have Glaucoma in Both Eyes and I Need a Program Like Microsoft's "Cortana" that will Answer all I Tell it to do, Like Opening Documents, Reading and Sending Emails, or Going to a Specific Website. Could Anyone Help Me with This Matter?

There are several promising Open Source AI Voice Assistant programs. However I know nothing about them nor about what they are currently capable of. As all the ones I know about are relatively new projects I doubt they are mature and probably you could expect bugs. 

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:14 AM

You may want to try

sudo apt-get update

followed by

sudo apt-get install orca

orca is a screen reader.

Speech recognition is still something that linux in general doesn't do well. There are packages that are being worked on to fill that hole, but, they are no where near the commercial offerings for other operating systems.

**Apologies. The code tag has default font size settings that can't be overridden.

EDIT: I has super powers ;) ylee

#4 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hello

As my community friends told, the Linux assistive tools are not at the suitable level. I looked up some articles about this topic and unfortunately it is true:

https://opensource.c...ssibility-linux

Although this article is 2 years old, I don't expect the huge progress.

Anyway, I never heard of Orca SW, so I have installed it and must say I was surprised. Yes, it needs a lot of effort to be good (Athough I fully respect the authors work). What is worst, this piece of SW is mostly binded with Gnome, GTK and Qt apps, which means our Bodhi Linux and its Moksha desktop won't be fully supported, although you can install GTK or Qt apps  :(

If you want to switch to Linux world at any price for using the Orca tool, the best distro for you could be some with Gnome (Mint, Debian etc).

Best regards

Stefan

#5 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Well, let's try something else in the meantime, because like you I am concerned too with my vision, and would like tools that won't make current vision worse.

Try a bigger screen. A lot of them are being discarded because people are getting rid of their current hardware and going for ridiculous sizes. Take advantage of other people's unquenchable thirst to constantly upgrade.

Instead of a flat panel, why not find a projector to put that screen on the wall? At least your big screen TV will be dedicated for entertainment. Some businessman or sales executive finally got tired of hooking up his own portable; make it your starter set. Hello, Steam

I like the night mode settings that must distros readily provide. Instead of that harsh glare from the screen when working late at night, pick some Moksha or some browser themes that are mostly dark and intended for night/late-night surfing. (Also prepare a sunny background or a poolside theme to remind you to step outside or take a dip once in a while). You can see how bright your display is by switching off the light in the room. Simple ergonomic practices can go a long way

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

I have just tested some text-to-speech synthesizers for Linux and I can hear much better results with Festival than with Espeak. Then I come across Pico and the results has been changed. Really cool solution. Consider by yourselves:

https://www.youtube....h?v=cziGpZTKZko

I believe it is possible to add to Orca app and makes it better...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users