• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 auro

auro

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

Just noticed that the last version of Midori is from May 2016.
That's some time ago, does it mean the project is no longer alive as suggested by Wikipedia?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

Just noticed that the last version of Midori is from May 2016.
That's some time ago, does it mean the project is no longer alive as suggested by Wikipedia?

I didn't see anything suggesting Midori is no longer alive on Wikipedia. But then again I just got off work and I skimmed it.

But regardless the latest commit I can find in the development branch is dated 2017-09-04. There hasn't been alot of commits lately but I would say the project is alive and well. It probably is a small project with only a few active developers. Midori's role in Bodhi is simple to provide a usable web browser until the user installs whatever web browser he or she wants. Some may stick with Midori but probably most will install better known web browsers with more features such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera ...

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:49 AM

unless things have changed - i keep midori n the laptops so as to access the bodhi appcenter. i believe it only works in midori for some reason.  i have had issues with it - but i did like it when i first tried it but have since used chromium exclusively.  for what it's worth

#4 auro

auro

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:13 AM

Thanks both but, here is the reason for my question...
https://en.m.wikiped...ht_web_browsers

And...

https://bugs.debian.....cgi?bug=864951

I usually use Firefox, but kept midori in Bodhi since I liked it as a lightweight alternative. I always install stuff using apt-get or synaptic, so I don't really have to stick to midori.

Once again thanks!

#5 auro

auro

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

I've decide to change my web browser away from Midori and installed Pale Moon. Pale Moon, as you might know is a fork of Firefox but, it's slightly lighter than it's parent.

If anyone would want to try it, just do the following...

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install palemoon

I've also removed Midori since according to https://bugs.debian.....cgi?bug=864951

it uses unmaintained WebKit1 instead of webkit2gtk

sudo apt-get remove --purge midori

#6 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

I've also removed Midori since according to https://bugs.debian.....cgi?bug=864951
it uses unmaintained WebKit1 instead of webkit2gtk

sudo apt-get remove --purge midori

It is worth noting that Archlinux reports that "Midori compiles with the current webkitgtk package (3.0)." I haven't investigated how Ubuntu packages Midori nor any alleged insecurities of WebKit1. I may play around and research these issues this weekend.

It is also worth noting all web browsers have insecurities and bugs. For the record a few years ago I tried PaleMoon but at the time I found it far more unstable on my system than Firefox. Your experience may be diffferent and perhaps these stability issues have been addressed. Good Luck.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#7 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:54 AM

I quite like Midori. :) In fact, this is a pain point because I ever considered doing my own cross platform browser on Xamarin Mono as Midori was too light for Facebook & Youtube while Firefox was too "aged" for new ideas, I got stuck exploring Vivaldi and Opera and Yandex then at a certain juncture I forgot all about it until this thread revived this old affliction.

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

#8 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

It is worth noting that Archlinux reports that "Midori compiles with the current webkitgtk package (3.0)." I haven't investigated how Ubuntu packages Midori nor any alleged insecurities of WebKit1. I may play around and research these issues this weekend.

Ubuntu clearly packages midori to use libwebkitgtk-1.0-0.

However with only one minor difficulty I was able to compile it use libwebkitgtk-3.0-0.

Spoiler

I am not certain it is worth my effort to try to re-package midori to use the new webkit libraries. For me it was just a proof of concept: to show that it was possible.

However from my limited research online I have gathered that using  libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 with midori is experimental and it may introduce more issues and bugs with midori. Just saying ...

I feel most users replace midori with a 'more reasonable and familiar' browser. If there is much user support for the idea of repackaging midori to utilize  libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 I may consider trying to repackage it. If i ever do so it would be added to bodhis testing repo.

#9 auro

auro

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

I am not certain it is worth my effort to try to re-package midori to use the new webkit libraries. For me it was just a proof of concept: to show that it was possible.

Maybe not, if it remains unmaintained for longer it won't help in the end.

I feel most users replace midori with a 'more reasonable and familiar' browser.

That's most probably true. I was just pointing out something I found out by accident.

For the record a few years ago I tried PaleMoon but at the time I found it far more unstable on my system than Firefox.

I've been using Pale Moon for sometime on another system and never had any issues with it. It has been very stable. I also had it on my mobile until they drop support for android.

Again, my post was just ment to inform. I'm very happy with Bodhi with or without Midori. Keep up the good work!

#10 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:19 AM

Might wanna clone the Midori source codes from Github and contribute somehow? https://github.com/e...ori-browser.org After all the browser is an open-source project, just let the owner knows when you are ready with a pull.

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

#11 auro

auro

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hmm! That's a possibility that I didn't think about. Although, I don't think I'm skilled enough to do that just yet. Specially not with a full browser. Sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users