• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hi, guys,

I have a couple of applications that keeps me using Mac. Capture One Pro 10 (RAW image converter) is one of them. It is simply the best photo application ever existed. It is available only in Windows and Mac versions.

Has anyone tried to run Mac OS High Sierra (or any other OS X) via VirtualBox on a Linux machine?

I have two dedicated Linux computers:

1. Mint Box mini running Linux Mint 18.2

2. Lenovo ThinkPad x200s running Bodhi Linux 

They are not powerful enough to handle a heavy MacOS via VirtualBox with Capture One Po on it. Capture One Pro itself requires a lot of computational power. So, I cannot conduct this experiment by myself, and have to rely on somebody elses experience.

If MacOS could be run via VirtualBox, I would consider the following workstation to run it:

Lenovo ThinkStation 910 SFF with 64 GB DDR3 RAM, i7 3.6 GHz processor. This configuraition is about $1600.00

It is cheaper than Mac Mini with  3.0 GHz i7 processor and 16 GB of DDR3 RAM ($2000.0). It's not the price but Apple's planned and forced absolescence that makes me moving away from them.

I would very much appreciate if anyone could help me with the test of this concept.

Thank you,

Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

My comment doesn't begin to help with your specific question.

Have you tried GiMP with the RAW plugin to allow you to work with it?

Back to your question. Hosting OSX is technically illegal. From one post I read, it is possible but not as simple as Windows or Linux Guests. Do you not have a Windows license that you could use instead? Or, is the problem you don't have a Windows copy of the program to run on the Guest once you have it installed?

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

Why run virtual box?

Why run linux?

These items add unnecessary clutter to an application that needs every ounce of horsepower out of resources available. You want things that will run on bare metal. That is why it will fly on a full-bodied Mac, and that machine needs Sierra. Pick the right tool for the job, would be my approach. The tools we have available in this alternate OS, though inadequate, seem to need improvement

If you stay with linux, you can run these alternatives. Deal directly with the program developers and work with them to bring their tools to a higher standard--yours. Setting the bar very high means that none of these will ever cut the mustard; they remain imitations, or "wannabes". I could walk into a used car lot and ask, Where's the Ferrari, and I will be shown the exit.

These guys have decided which way to go. "Well I for one am not spending two grand" You might be pleasantly surprised at how far you can go by asking the right people why can't Rawtherapee do x.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hi, guys,

First, I have a license for Capture One Pro (3 seats) and it can be used on either Mac or PC. This is not a problem.

To use Capture One Pro, I need to have either native or guest MacOS or Windows. I have a license for Windows 7 and if needed, I would buy Windows 10 Pro. In the MacOS vs Windows dilemma, I would prefer a Mac for several reasons.

If needed, I could do a dual boot Windows 10 and Linux distro of my choice. I am not an expert in dual booting, but all online articles that I've read advised against it.

At the moment, most of the computer work that I am doing for myself could be done on Linux. I go for the ThinkPad x200s that runs Bodhi Linux for all daily computer work (even though I have an iMac 2010 and a MacBook Air 2013 (work notebook) at home). I just like the Linux experience.

I've tried all RAW converters available for Linux - they are not even close to the quality of the resulting images that Capture One can produce. To rule out an operator factor, one of the Linux photography professionals emailed me a RAW image. I've edited that RAW image in Capture One Pro and he edited it in digiKam and RawTherapee. Even though I am not a professional, Capture One Pro produced a much better result. The secret sauce is their proprietary RAW conversion algorithm that is the best currently available. So, it is the software not the operator skills that makes the difference.

As I mentioned before, my home iMac has a screen that started failing. Replacing a screen on a 27 inch iMac would probably cost $400-500. Repairing an 8 year old iMac for $400-500 does not sound like a smart thing to do to me.

Getting another Mac could be a solution. All iMacs has the same problem as all-in-ones have - one thing fails, then the entire system fails. That leaves me with Mac mini and Mac Pro. Mac mini is 2K in its maxed up configuration (3.0 GHz I7 with 16GB of RAM).

I have an iMac at work with 3.5 GHz i7 and 32 GB of RAM and it is currently working fine. Buying a Mac mini at a premium price with the outdated technology seems like wasting money. It will become irrelevant in two years.

Mac Pro is out of my price range and would be another waste of money if I bought it for the sake of one image editing piece of software. I've been using Apple products since 1996 and I am getting tired of them recently.

I do not want to be forced to upgrade when Apple decides that it is time for me to upgrade and I want to be able to choose hardware I like and want.

Outside of Apple, there are great brands like System 76, Alienware, Lenovo and others. I can build a configuration that I like.

This is where I am now.

#5 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4617 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

I have no experience with Apple equipment, nor the OS except for an iPad. I wonder  if the High Sierra Final is available as an installable ISO, if so it can be used in a Virtual Machine. I know a Win10 ISO can be downloaded in a free version when doing it from a Linux computer. I am dual booting myself without hassles except for the time settings but that can be solved. The only disadvantage with that is that you can't run both OS simultaneously, whereas a virtual machine runs inside the host. 

My only concern about Win10 in a virtual machine is updating it. My computer was delivered with Win8 installed and I am still using that license thanks to some MS code in the UEFI so I never needed to register. That would be different in a virtual machine with the Oracle EFI version.

As said, I don't know how this is handled by Apple.

You are in a rather unique situation and I doubt anyone on this forum has had experience with that. It might be wise to ask this on a larger forum like Linux Questions with a very broad userbase. They even have a special section about "containers".

Keep us posted if you find an answer, I'm very curious about it.

Enjoy,

Charles

#6 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

Hi, everyone,

Thank you for all your feedback.

I've looked again at Capture One Pro 10 system requirements and found:

1. minimum               8 GB RAM

2. recommended    16 GB RAM

Just to run this app alone my options are:

1. Mac Mini              $2000

2. Lenovo 910 SFF  $1600 (with a lot of RAM headroom)

3. iMac with similar to Lenovo 910 SFF configuration - $4600

I will probably end up with Lenovo 910 SFF with Windows 10 (for photography) and Linux for everything else dual boot.

I just do not feel comfortable to dump 4.5K for something that could be done on a $35 Raspberry Pi. For that money I can have a two week trip to Europe with my wife.

Thank you again to everyone,

Val

#7 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

Hey your situation is unique, but what 'spices' it up is that you are a hardware guy too. Or shall I put it this way, you happen to be a flexible guy.

What about this route (I thought I had posted this but my session timed out and wiped the draft clean) Run Sierra and Capture on top of Sierra. Linux can be the guest on that machine instead of the other way around. You meet your objective, and it might be a more sensible target, in that anything you create can be re-done using the same tools; if not the same hardware. What if you decided that this will be a potential source of revenue, or a business? (you can pick up on virtual box later on if that is not high on your priority list)

#8 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

vvkozmenko, can you run Capture One Pro 10 under wine?

DOOMguy, his issue seems to be with giving money hand over fist to Apple just to use a bit of software. To my knowledge a Hackintosh is illegal, so, his only options are to give $4600 to Apple or less than half to a PC manufacturer for a Windows machine. If he isn't currently making money with or considering making money with the software, spending multiple thousands of dollars on a computer because the program makes his edited pictures look better might not be a solid argument with his wife. :D

#9 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

Ah, thanks birdmun (and val). Sometimes my problem lies in not reading between the lines; always seeing everything in wireframe and pseudocode and duct tape. I for one, would still be interested in val's resolution, or hearing from him a couple of months later. A postcard might also work, and it doesn't matter how it was made, as long as it came from some airport in Budapest or Berlin or Barcelona  :)

#10 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:36 AM

**Way off topic**

@DOOMguy: subtle much? :D

#11 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

I think it needs a little more work, birdmun; I'm sure I'll get the hang of it

#12 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

My current plan for the iMac replacement is to build a custom PC. I will do it either by myself or ask someone to do it for me.

The "Photography Life" website has an article "Ultimate photography PC"

https://photographyl...ography-needs/2

I will probably push the full tower configuration toward the AMD Ryzen with 64-128 GB RAM.

In terms of dual boot, there was another article where the author recommends swapping boot drives rather than partitioning the same drive into Windows and Linux partitions.

It will take a while until I complete this project. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users