5 replies to this topic

#1 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hi all!

Bodhi 4.3 is currently one of the systems we ship with the fully refurbished machines we sell at the local Repair coffee/fablab. Quite some people are interested in getting a working computer that's simple, updatable and reasonabily secure for the coming years.
Only they do not know English (yeah, as weird as it may sound to some people --often coming from an English speaking family... ;))

Some in-house Bodhi tools are localized/localizable (such as ePhoto) but not all. E.g. EepDater : I can't find any code that'd allow one to contribute to its localization. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be willing to give a hand too.

We do try to show people how to maintain their Bodhi system up to date. But some are having a hard time clicking on stuff they can't even read. And IMHO it'd be cool to have localizable simple-to-use in-house tools, rather than having to add alternatives (e.g. Appgrid, Synaptic).

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

I agree that a number of programs included with Bodhi or developed by us do not have localization support, or proper localization support.  It has been something I wished to add to one point. But it has been low priority. Just for the interest what languages would you be willing to help support?

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

I had an idea of running the localization job in the past.

http://forums.bodhil...calization-job/

Fortunately some users contributed. I can help you with all extra modules but not with EepDater which is written in PyEFL. I have no experience with these kind of SW.

Anyway, there is also possibility to switch Bodhi to other language. I believe you found it in the settings. Some translations need to be checked or added. I did this job for Slovak language some months ago. Slovak had very bad translations and I spent almost 3 weeks with it. This is job only for determined people :)

https://github.com/J.../tree/master/po

Stefan

#4 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

The Waiter: https://github.com/t.../tree/master/po is an example of what I was looking for :)

ylee : French (mother tongue), Arabic (medium) and Chinese simplified (maybe, depends how far I'd be able to get back in my memory ;) )

Thanks guys! Now for EepDater which is written in PyEFL, would po files be feasible may be?

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

#5 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Need to check if the code is ready for localization. Need to add some gettext "bijou". Frankly, I do not assume it is there but I believe Robert (Ylee) or Jeff will take care if their time permits.

#6 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Nice to read The waiter. And if some small hands are needed at some point please count me in, frankly. I've only developped for the Web and administered loads of Linux systems since 2k sure, but getting a bit in software development would be OK.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: localization, utilities, usability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users