Photo

Bodhi Legacy: browsers problem

Best Answer auro, 24 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

Pale Moon does have a non-official build that supports non sse2 cpu's. Have a look at https://forum.palemo...pic.php?t=13530

I'm on 64bits and can't test this, but I do run PaleMoon and it works just great 😊 Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 supertrack

supertrack

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hi, I have a big problem with bodhi regarding the browser. Midori and Firefox does not start, qupzilla closes after a few moments. My cpu is Athlon xp 2400+, I noticed that the latest versions of browsers do not support sse2 cpu. But I've tried, like advising around the web, old versions of theoretically supported versions like the 45, but I did not get results. How do I fix it?

The log:
An exit code of 4 was returned

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

The best I can suggest is try starting the browser (Midori, firefox, etc.) from a terminal and look at the output you get there. You should, I believe, get some useful information regarding the reason the program closed.

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

This laptop has Firefox 48.0.something. What's the website, so I can crash my browser. Not on Bodhi, but just for grins.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 auro

auro

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:36 PM   Best Answer

Pale Moon does have a non-official build that supports non sse2 cpu's. Have a look at https://forum.palemo...pic.php?t=13530

I'm on 64bits and can't test this, but I do run PaleMoon and it works just great 😊

#5 Rongxiang LIN

Rongxiang LIN

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hi, I have a big problem with bodhi regarding the browser. Midori and Firefox does not start, qupzilla closes after a few moments. My cpu is Athlon xp 2400+, I noticed that the latest versions of browsers do not support sse2 cpu. But I've tried, like advising around the web, old versions of theoretically supported versions like the 45, but I did not get results. How do I fix it?

The log:
An exit code of 4 was returned

Pardon, what's a sse2 cpu, anyone?

Son. Student. Citizen.

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

Google leads to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

Maybe that helps?

#7 supertrack

supertrack

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

There is a misunderstanding. The problem is the browser that support only sse2 cpus. My cpu have sse support only.

#8 auro

auro

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

Exactly what the non-official Pale Moon build does... support sse 😊

EDIT: Actually there's a package already. See the answer to the question in this topic, https://forum.pepper...hp?topic=6002.0

Good luck

#9 L5d

L5d

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

Hello,

I try Firefox 45.0.2 wich is in the depot, using synaptic for installing it.

it seems to support cpu without sse2.

once installed, it it's useful to block the automatic upgrade of the version.

it's preferable to uninstal completely firefox  54 or much (55, 56, ...) before doing it.

Laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo-A7620 Athlon XP 2600+ ATI Radeon 9000 64 Mo - 1Go DDR - 80 DD IDE

Bodhi Linux 4.3.1 32 Legacy

#10 auro

auro

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:27 AM

Firefox is at version 56 and firefox ESR at 52.
Using Firefox 45 is, IMHO a security risk.

#11 L5d

L5d

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

Hello, the link for Palemoon for CPU with only SSE (Athlon, Athlon XP, etc) is here : https://forum.palemo...hp?f=40&t=13530 , i've just installed it yesterday, and it look like a charm on my Athlon XP+

Once installed manually (in /usr/local/palemoon), you need to  define a entry in the menu of Bodhi, it's very difficult for me, because the english options of Bodhi are not all translated in french.

So, if one can explicit this action, thank for the other who will understood much if this is do by a more comprehensive english language than mine (i know, i'm bad for this point, but i'll learn every day to progress).

Laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo-A7620 Athlon XP 2600+ ATI Radeon 9000 64 Mo - 1Go DDR - 80 DD IDE

#12 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

Bonjour,

you might try to use the text below. Copy it to a textfile and save it as:

~/.local/share/appplications/palemoon.desktop

You have palemoon installed to a rather unusual place so you may need to change the Exec= line using the full path to /usr/local/ in order to make it work.

Spoiler

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

Charles

#13 Rongxiang LIN

Rongxiang LIN

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

Google leads to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

Maybe that helps?

Ah i see, Charles' reply is helpful imho. I remember MMX from my office days and the gap between Pentium four and five was substantial enough in my case. I was not aware of SSE and I don't recall my lecturers telling me about the subsequent SSEs. Somewhat recall approximately that my campus laboratories chose RISC and covered much of x86 in theory when they were teaching my cohort about instruction sets.

Son. Student. Citizen.

#14 L5d

L5d

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Hello, Thanks to Charles,

this text added in the file specified will add an entry in the "applications/internet" menu of Bodhi, with the name : "palemoon (Navigateur web)", and one clic will bring palemoon onto the current desktop. Great job ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users