• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Hi, guys,

I am facing a need to create a cross-platform manual/tutorial. I wish CherryTree were available for Mac but unfortunatelly it is no.

So far, I've been thinking of a CHM format for this tool, and I am strugling to find a free CHM authoring tool.

The manual is for educational/non-profit use. Does anyone have a suggestion of a suitable app to author CHM files on Linux?

Thank you,

Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Is there some issue with pdf?

#3 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

It is not chm but I used to use Zim until I switched to cherrytree. It is cross platform altho I  have never used it on anything other than Linux and win xp back in the day. It is probably even possible to get cherrytree working on a mac but I don't have or use Macs so I am no help on that one.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#4 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Hi, birdmun and Ylee,

There is nothing wrong with PDF. I would like to create a hierarchal tutorial/manual. I personally found that with reference books sometimes it is important to quickly find a specific chapter or subject and jump right into it. With CHM structure it is easier to navigate through the manual than with PDF.

The manual that I am going to develop would probably be never read from the beginning to the end but some sections of it might be visited on the regular basis.

Thank you for the replies anyway.

Val

#5 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

Have you tried this?

http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/+ https://www.playonmac.com/en/

Pick the Windows portable one, and play it on Mac with PlayonMac. :D

#6 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:18 PM

Hi, BeGo,

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely use CherryTree on Mac for my personal use.

For the project that I am doing I need something that a PC or Mac user would be able to use with no hassle.

The manual will be for the medical school faculty development project and I doubt that they are interested in something that requires anything too complicated.

I tried to export a CherryTree file into HTML and it worked pretty well except there was no eye appleal in the text on the white background.

I will play with QuarkXpress 7. It allows for exporting into HTML5-based web-book.

Still have not decided what is the best format for lengthy faculty development tutorial for medical school faculty.

Thank you again for your recommendation.

Val

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users