wifi connected but cant connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snodge

snodge

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi I have bodhi 3 on a dell inspiron which I use occasionally, I can no loner connect to the internet despite having a wifi connection. can any one help? Regards D

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 snodge

snodge

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Hi I have bodhi 3 on a dell inspiron which I use occasionally, I can no loner connect to the internet despite having a wifi connection. can any one help? Regards D

Hi I have a connection on anotherr wifi network that was set up a couple of years ago downstairs. The issue may relate to adding a new wifi network upstairs this morning. I have connectivity then go to midori and It defaults to a bodhi guidance page regarding connecting to the internet. When I try to serarch it says theres no connection to the net. Regards D

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

Stupid human question, are the networks using different SSIDs but on the same wifi channel within the same frequency band?

#4 Peter Brewster

Peter Brewster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:15 AM

I had an odd experience on 11/11 after dd'ing a bodhibuilder created iso file. My chrome browser had the DNS zeroed out - and of course I could not connect. The solution was easy - I set DNS to 8.8.4.4 and 4.4.4.4, which are Google public. So far nothing else odd has shown up but I have not really searched or tested.

#5 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

I am having a similar thing - strong WifFi signal but no internet connection. Disconnecting from the network and reconnecting most of the time solves the problem. I used to blame it on the local internet provider for unreliable service but it seems like the cause of the problem is different.

I was thinking of purchasing an external usb WiFi dongle but not sure that it would solve the problem.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12604 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

Is there anything in the area of the device that could be interfering? For instance I have a laptop we keep in my kitchen and most of the time when we use the microwave I have to disconnect / reconnect to the wireless to get a connection again.

#7 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Hi, Jeff,

There is nothing in the close proximity and the interruptions occur pretty often when no appliances are runnint.

Val

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12604 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

Weird, must be a bug in the network manager package then. You could try switching to WICD.

#9 Rongxiang LIN

Rongxiang LIN

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:51 AM

Hi I have a connection on anotherr wifi network that was set up a couple of years ago downstairs. The issue may relate to adding a new wifi network upstairs this morning. I have connectivity then go to midori and It defaults to a bodhi guidance page regarding connecting to the internet. When I try to serarch it says theres no connection to the net. Regards D

For nobody in particular, some home networking terminologies since internet works like water irrigation:

• The source of your internet connection is known as your modem. In case of a working internet connection, any decent Ethernet cable should be capable of connecting a Linux box with the modem hence enabling internet access.
  • The source of your wifi signal is known as your router. Assuming that the modem is a separate device and works, the router collects via an Ethernet cable the internet signals from the modem when directly connected, and the router also is cable of connecting a Linux box via any Ethernet cable.
  • In some cases when building premises are too huge, some administrators configure what is known as repeaters. Repeaters are typically routers whether wifi or not, and they can make use of either Ethernet cables or wifi signals in extending the internet range that begins from a primary modem.

Shall stop here at this point as the above descriptions this far barely points out where the pain point might actually reside.

Son. Student. Citizen.

#10 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:55 PM

For Jayan Tashi,

Hi, Jayan,

Thank you for bringing the point. I will connect the ThinkPad to the WiFi router with the Ethernet cable and see if this resolves the issue (I have an Apple AirPort Extreme).

Also, I will try to connect the ThinkPad directly to the cable modem and see if it changes anything.

I would add computer's WiFi card to the list of the equipment that you have listed (modem and router).

Thank you again, and have a nice weekend.

Val

#11 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

The only downside I can see in connecting directly with ethernet? A word of caution:

It becomes 100 % consistent in behavior AND performance that there is no comparison at all to wireless, which would then seem to be erratic in signal strength and reliability, and soon you will forget that you had spotty performance with the built in wifi, in the first place.

If you are the type that would purchase things online with credit card, or log on to your bank often, stick with the slight advantage of wired ethernet. Or just avoid these habits while online, to be on the safe side.  "Evil spirits" have been around since the dawn of time, and  they don't bother with such trivialities like operating systems or distros.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users