• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:52 AM

Hi,
After unsuccessful attempts to rundigiKam 5.5 or 5.7 on Bodhi, I followed an advance to try it from the appimage.
Clicking on the appimage icon opens a context-sensitive menu asking what application I want to use to open that file.
I would appreciate any guidance.
Thank you in advance,
Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:13 AM

Hi,

I found how to run software from appimages.

Still, the digiKam 5.5.0 - 5.7.0 fails to create a database.   :huh:  :huh: 

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

Have you given any thought to using a VM via maybe qemu? I know it is kludgy as all get out. Just curious if that would be an option for you? Does digiKam run in Ubuntu? Debian?

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

I found how to run software from appimages.

Still, the digiKam 5.5.0 - 5.7.0 fails to create a database.   :huh:  :huh:

Can you share what you needed to do to make appimages work for others?

If the Digikam isn't working after you got the appimage going you should create a bug report with them.

#5 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Hi, Jeff,

When I install the digiKam 5.5 or 5.7, it installs with no problem. At the launch, there is an error message that says that the digiKam cannot establish a database.

Closing this window starts the digiKam, but it does not have a picture database and so it is not working. I tried everything possible - migrating from the version 4.4, installation from ppa, running from appimage - the problem is always the same - the software cannot create a database.

Not sure where the problem is.

I tried to attach screenshots to this post - cannot figure out how to do it. It looks like the "Image" button is capable to insert URL for the image on the web but not on my hard drive.

#6 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

Hi, guys,

I just tried to run Bodhi Linux 4.3.2 in my office iMac via Parallel's Desktop.

I've run it live, installed the digiKam 5.7.0 (the latest version), and it worked with no problem. I am not sure what is messed up on my home laptop.

On a separate note, Symphytum 2.2 still crashes at launch.

Now, I need to find out what is not working on my home Bodhi installation that prevents the digiKam 5.7 from creating a database.

#7 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4617 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

HERE is a list with all digikam dependencies, though not all are a must have. You might be missing something related to the database (opencv perhaps?).

Bodhi is based on a bare ubuntu 16.04, stripped down as far as possible with the moksha desktop added. So installing kde apps requires a lot of extra's and the developers maybe never considered someone not having all of them from the start.

Enjoy,

Charles

#8 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Hi, Charles,

Thank you for the reply. My laptop OS is the same as I used on iMac. I think there might be something messed up with installing/removing software on the laptop.

I can see no other explanations. I will probably live my laptop alone for right now - too much stuff to do (including my daughter getting married on December 2nd).

When time permits, I will do a clean re-install on the laptop. This is encouraging since I am considering ditching Linux Mint on the MintBox Mini and switching to Bodhi.

Thank you,

Val

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users