3 replies to this topic

#1 bodhi-buddha

bodhi-buddha

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hey cool cats and groovy chicks!

I was wondering if anyone used Oracle Database and SQLDeveloper on Bodhi? I realise this is kind of a general Ubuntu-esque question and not specific to Bodhi. The reason i would like to have those pieces of software on my laptop is that I'm currently enrolled in a class at my university that does Oracle databases and uses Oracle 11g DB and SQLDeveloper. I'd like to do that on Bodhi, not on Windows. 

My questions:

1. Can it be done in a simple way?
  2. Is there a difference between the WIN/LINUX versions?
  3. What's your general experience with development using Bodhi (not limited to databases, naturally)?

Cheers,

Bodhi Buddha

A word gives life to bare metal
Bytes inviting execution
Guide to a sector to settle
A word gives life, to bare metal
The bootloader 0x27's role is vital
Denoted by its location--
Bytes inviting execution

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

Bodhi is Ubuntu based. Anything that will run in Ubuntu should run on Bodhi ( except maybe for some desktop specific apps).

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:09 AM

The Oracle folk have made their own distro, with a support team, no less. This might lead you in the right direction, but with the job already done, I would hesitate to duplicate their effort on a home PC, but don't let that stop you.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 bodhi-buddha

bodhi-buddha

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

So I've just set up Oracle 11g R2 Express Edition and SQL Developer and it works fine.

I've followed two quick tutorials and it took me ~60 minutes. It could take longer on a slower machine if anyone's interested in Oracle databases on Bodhi. It's not an overly complicated installation process and its new user friendly.

After installing Oracle 11g, Bodhi will register it in your start menu under Applications/Other and you can simply click on Start Database or Stop Database. Your SQL Developer will not be registered under the application menu but you can run it by simply writing sqldeveloper in your terminal.

The links are as follows:

Note: Oracle XE (32-bit) installer can also be downloaded from (http://1drv.ms/1vMWia6)which is the authors cloud storage, I haven't used it so, it isn't checked.

Cheers

Bytes inviting execution
Guide to a sector to settle
A word gives life, to bare metal
The bootloader 0x27's role is vital
Denoted by its location--
Bytes inviting execution

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oracle, software, database, oracle11g, sqldeveloper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users