Photo

Installation of v4.3.1 on EeePC 701 with 4GB SSD fails, says needs a 4.3GB drive

SSD 4GB installation failure

Best Answer penguinator, 12 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Can you insert a 8 GB SDcard in the slot before booting the liveUSB/CD?

I took a guess at the file system, picked FAT32, it worked.  The installer is now at the point of partitioning the SSD for a custom installation.  Thanks, Charles, you were right. :)

You might try the brand new 4.4.0 legacy ISO. Don't use unetbootin for writing the ISO to USB, ....

Yes, I did download that, and that's the version that seems to be working.

On the third attempt to boot from the CD, first Live Bodhi, and then the installer ran normally, with all check-boxes and options visible.  Not sure what was happening on the desktop system that it didn't run there.  I may have to take a look at the optical drives and see if something needs cleaning.

The 701 uses a USB optical drive, so that's completely separate from the build-in drives on the desktop.

Also helpful was inserting a 1GB RAM chip from the 701SD into the 701, just for the installation -- things seemed to run faster after that.

I may start another thread for material removed from this post about problems with the installer CD running on the desktop system, if it persists after checking the drives.  The problem in the subject of this post is completely solved, thanks to Charles!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

Is there a workaround for this?

I saw the minimum specs for the current version include 4GB of drive space, so I was hoping I could keep the 701 going with the latest Bodhi version.  I could put more RAM in it, for the installation -- would that help, or is there some other way? 

The installation halts with apparently no way of proceeding, when the error message appears, saying a 4.3GB drive is required.  Given the minimum specs for the OS (4GB drive, 256MB of RAM) indicate the installation should be possible, I suspect there's something that can be done?

The drives in these models are labelled as 4GB, but most utilities show it to be a touch less, something like 3.8GB.  But I thought that was normal, for the way most drives are rated?

I'm installing the Legacy 32-bit, non-PAE download.

Bodhi v3.0.0 / stable - 32 bit, Legacy
ASUS eeePC 4G/701-L, Atheros wireless module | ASUS eeePC 701SD, Realtech wireless module

701L, 701SD - Celeron-M 900Mhz

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Hmm,  can you create a swap partition somewhere on a USB? The installer is very resource hungry and the early 701 has not much memory IIRC. Having a GB of swap available before beginning the install has helped me out usually. Once installed the 4 GB (=3.7GiB) is enough for disk space.

Enjoy,

Charles

#3 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

I am guessing, but are you saying that I need to direct the installer to give me a custom installation, where I may specify the location of a swap partition?  I ask, because I didn't see an option to do that, before the 4.3GiB 'warning' popped-up.

After clicking the installation icon on the 'live' desktop task bar, when and where, on which screen, can one 'get out from' the default installation?

Or, are you saying I could just use some utility (parted, for example), create a swap position on some removable media, plug it before clicking the installation icon, and the installer would automatically detect it and use it?

If I have to first change the installation mode, it's quite possible such an option may be present, but I'm missing it -- because it's not visible due to screen resolution problems.

B) Thanks for letting me know the latest Bodhi should run on the 701, but more details, please!

ASUS eeePC 4G/701-L, Atheros wireless module | ASUS eeePC 701SD, Realtech wireless module

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Well, on my 701 I have the available 4GB divided into a system partition and a 1024 MB swap. I installed gparted on the live-USB for easy creation of those partitions. 

When you start the installer you select "SomethingElse" for the destination and not "use the whole disk". Then it's easy to appoint the ext4 partition to be used as and the swap as such.

3 GB should really be enough to run Bodhi unless you plan to have very space-hungry applications or lots of themes. On my 701 all user data (Docs, Pics, Music and so on) goes to a separate 16 GB SD-card (I leave that in all the time) that is (auto)mounted as /media/Storage by adding a line in /etc/fstab. I don't have the instructions for that at hand right know, but I could find them if you want those.

Hope this is enough, but if you need more, just let me know.

Enjoy,

Charles

#5 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

Well, on my 701 I have the available 4GB divided into a system partition and a 1024 MB swap. I installed gparted on the live-USB for easy creation of those partitions. 

When you start the installer you select "Something Else" for the destination and not "use the whole disk". ...

Ah, I think you put your finger on the problem.  I was expecting to see such a prompt -- from experience with previous installations -- but did not! 

Now that I know it's there, but probably off the screen, I'll see what I can do, to get it visible on the display.

If I can't do an <Alt> scroll, I'll attempt to change the screen resolution while in Live mode, before starting the installer.  If all fails, I'll get back for more suggestions -- perhaps I can make the selection 'blindly' if I know which key to press.

And yes, an earlier version of Bodhi is running on the same netbook, with a surprising array of installed programs.  I doubt that Bodhi's size has expanded too much, since then.

#6 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

One more question -- some years ago you recommended a 500MB swap for the 701.  Was that suitable only for an earlier version of Bodhi, only, or did you find it had to be increased because you saw performance problems?

I ask because, on a 4GiB SSD, I would like -- if possible -- to keep this partition as small as possible, consistent with acceptable performance of the OS.  If the 500MB swap no longer works well, then of course, I will go for 1024MB. 

Installed RAM is the original 512MB. 

#7 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

In my experience the installer has grown a bit heavier, but some 700MB will do the trick I think. Just try the 500MB first, but browsing the web eats lots of memory these days, so you might want a bit more for that too.

ALT click somewhere in a not maximized window and you can drag it to any direction. That makes the NEXT button visible too.

Enjoy,

Charles

#8 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:22 AM

When you start the installer you select "SomethingElse" for the destination and not "use the whole disk". ...

I think there's something wrong with my installation disc, because I'm not seeing a screen with these options, even when booting it on my desktop computer, with a normal-sized monitor.  On the netbook, I'm first running a screen resolution-changing script, so the entire installer window displays without having to scroll.

This is 4.3.1 Legacy, non-PAE, and the MD5 matches the one given with the download, the .iso burn is verified, and the distro-check option doesn't hang -- when I look back after it finishes, the Bodhi logo is in the center of the screen -- and I assume this means it passed the check.

I have burned a new disk from the same.iso file that passed the MD5 verification, this time a read-only, not read-write.

On the netbook, I am still getting the message saying that a 4.3GB drive is needed, and offering only the option to 'Quit'.  This appears quite soon after the installer begins to run, perhaps the second or third screen.

On the desktop, while there is (obviously) no warning the drive is too small, but ... the installer doesn't go past the screen that starts with the question about installing non-free software drivers.  There, Continue doesn't continue, but instead loops back and re-displays the same two questions.

I am running the same download on both netbook and desktop, because they're both 32-bit machines.

Could there be an issue with the netbook's SSD (it's a Silicon Motion 223AC) that could be resolved by wiping it (like, with a cloth or something?) :ph34r: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have you ever heard of anyone else having this kind of problem?  Do these 'symptoms' indicate anything to you?

#9 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

Can you insert a 8 GB SDcard in the slot before booting the liveUSB/CD? That way you can bypass that 4.3 GB message. I wonder why you don't get those install options on a normal computer.

You might try the brandnew 4.4.0 legacy ISO. Don't use unetbootin for writing the ISO to USB, it has issues. dd command is a good alternative or else use Rufus in a Windows computer.

#10 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:49 AM   Best Answer

Can you insert a 8 GB SDcard in the slot before booting the liveUSB/CD?

I took a guess at the file system, picked FAT32, it worked.  The installer is now at the point of partitioning the SSD for a custom installation.  Thanks, Charles, you were right. :)

You might try the brand new 4.4.0 legacy ISO. Don't use unetbootin for writing the ISO to USB, ....

Yes, I did download that, and that's the version that seems to be working.

On the third attempt to boot from the CD, first Live Bodhi, and then the installer ran normally, with all check-boxes and options visible.  Not sure what was happening on the desktop system that it didn't run there.  I may have to take a look at the optical drives and see if something needs cleaning.

The 701 uses a USB optical drive, so that's completely separate from the build-in drives on the desktop.

Also helpful was inserting a 1GB RAM chip from the 701SD into the 701, just for the installation -- things seemed to run faster after that.

I may start another thread for material removed from this post about problems with the installer CD running on the desktop system, if it persists after checking the drives.  The problem in the subject of this post is completely solved, thanks to Charles!

#11 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

dev sr1, this is your CDRom. How did you burn that CD? In your burning program should be an option to write an image, you need to chose that option to make it bootable, not just plain copying the ISO file.

Just insert the 8 GB card, you are not going to use it anyway. Just fool the installer that there is more space available then the 4GB SSD so it will continue. That should bring you to the install options I mentioned and give you an opportunity to use the SSD with partitions to your liking.

Charles

#12 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Thanks so much for the follow-up. I 'cleaned-up' the previous post because I saw I was drifting from the original Subject, making it difficult to follow for other users, who may come across it in a search. 

I was quite concerned when I saw, during the Live CD's test-run on my desktop system, that there was a 'critical target error, dev sr1, sector nnnnnn., etc.  I though this could be my desktop's hard drive, throwing sector errors.

dev sr1, this is your CDRom. ...

This is welcome news, so I can stop worrying about the desktop's internal hard drive. :)

... How did you burn that CD? In your burning program should be an option to write an image, you need to chose that option to make it bootable, not just plain copying the ISO file.

It was a CD-RW burned at 4x (extra-slow) with K3b.  From the file manager, a right-click on the Bodhi .iso opened a K3b window, with the title, Burn Image - iso cue toc.

There is a drop-down menu, Image Type, that was left at the default: Auto Detection.

I see one of the other options is Cue/bin image.  I have always used Auto Detection in the past, but would you advise that I burn again, but with this other option selected?  I wonder if the Auto Detection worked correctly, or not?

If I made a 'bad burn' that would explain some of the problems in attempting to load the Live CD.  Just before the successful netbook installation, I had to boot from that CD two times before the third attempt started to run Live Bodhi.  The first two attempts gave error messages.

Generally, bootable CDs/DVDs made with same burner boot on first try.

Thanks again for getting back to the thread, as it crossed my mind that my hard drive was about to 'go' ...

#13 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

BodhiLinux is a .iso file, so if your burner offers that option choose "iso" as image type.

I'm not familiar with K3b myself but if in doubt about the auto-selection it's wise to use a manual choice.

Glad you got the installation running.

Enjoy,

Charles

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSD, 4GB, installation failure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users