Photo

Electronics Workbench PSU with Multiple Outputs from an old PC PSU - random electronics fun!

PSU Electronics Lab Bench

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:50 AM

Hello Community,

For anyone interested in electronics, I semi-recently turned an old Antec 500w PC PSU into an electronics lab power supply...sort of a fun/cheap project for anyone with a desire to play with electronics that possesses some soldering skills.  Total project investment was around 4 dollars - not bad!

A great part of this project is that between the rails, you have the flexibility to use 3.3, 5 and 12 volts and any combinations of those...with protection circuits and with a decent amount of amperage (ok HIGH amperage - enough to cook projects and be quite lethal if not careful!!!).  If you are a PC enthusiast, likely you have several PSUs in your basement...I sure do!  If you need a lab PSU, this may be of interest to you!

I also recently built a signal tracer as well...the body of the device is an old toothbrush (lols, I know...super "ghetto", but it IS insulating :))...another budget project I can walk anyone through that is interested.  The benefit of this tracer is that it can connect to a battery powered speaker and use a cell phone for a signal generator...this avoids any possible ground issues that could blow up the devices in question...sort of neat!

I'm trying to diagnose a kit PAiA 5760 Roctave Divider guitar pedal that was gifted to me several years ago that has never worked.  I have schematics and have corrected several issues from the initial build, but still "no go"...not sure if anyone here is familiar with op amps, etc...but I have a feeling that the initial build errors either cooked some op amps or transistors.  Anyway, this could be an interesting thing to diagnose.  Any assistance would rock...tave!

Keep rockin' everyone!  Cheers!

Oblio

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users