Photo

Black screen after GRUB, recovery mode doesn't work

Best Answer DOOMguy, 08 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Before reinstalling, I suggest you try two things.

1. Boot from the USB and run Bodhi from it. Do your normal stuff.
  2. Verify the new ISO by running a chksum on it. By 'new ISO' I mean get the 32bit ISO from sourceforge, and verify its integrity (it is after all huge download and this critical step ensures the file arrived intact). Burn a new liveUSB using the dd command, which can be found in this forum. We are wary about using unetbootin, and recent posts explain why

Your original question what have I done wrong here, I would question Install a different version of GRUB <---what were your reasons for ditching grub from the package, and where did you obtain this

edit: added a response to original query

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 {object Object}

{object Object}

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

Hi,

I'm attempting to install Bodhi on an old laptop. The Live USB seemed to load fine and there weren't any apparent problems with the installation, but after it restarted and went through GRUB, it simply showed a black screen. All keystrokes I tried did nothing, and pressing the power button shut it down immediately as if it was in the BIOS or GRUB.

I've tried:

• Hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1/2/3
  • Removing quiet splash and adding nomodeset to the boot line (either showed a black screen or a black screen with a blinking cursor, I can't remember)
  • Booting into recovery mode (showed a black screen with a blinking cursor)
  • Reinstalling Bodhi
  • Installing a different version of GRUB
  • Looking at logs using another OS (none were created)

Also installed on this laptop are Lubuntu, Puppy Linux, and WinXP. It's a Dell Inspiron M70 (with a larger hard drive and 1 GB of RAM). According to lspci, it has the Intel 915GM integrated graphics. I'm trying to install the latest version of Bodhi (4.3.1) and it is a 32 bit computer so I picked the legacy version. I've confirmed that the MD5 is correct.

Any ideas on what has gone (or I've done) wrong here?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:09 AM

Boot up your livecd.

Assuming sda3 is your Bodhi partition (change to correct partition below)

At livecd terminal

sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

Reboot normally without livecd.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Reinstalling is usually the last resort; the user is encouraged to troubleshoot the original issue and to refrain from 'reinstalling' as this will become a habit or a nasty carryover from other OS experiences. Your time -- and ours -- would be better spent doing something else. Try gohlip's approach this time and then we can proceed from there.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 {object Object}

{object Object}

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

Ok, I ran the commands. It said it finished without errors, but rebooting showed no changes after GRUB - still a black screen. Same deal for recovery mode, but with the blinking cursor. However, I did notice that when booting into recovery mode it briefly said "Loading Linux" and "Loading initial ramdisk" before the screen went to black with blinking cursor. (That happened before as well, I just forgot to mention it)

#5 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:16 AM

Ok. your install is faulty then.

BTW, can you boot into Lubuntu, Puppy Linux or WinXP at all?

If you can, at Lubuntu, can you provide

uname -i

If you cannot boot into any Linux, to boot into Lubuntu, for example, use my earlier post, use Lubuntu install media and mount Lubuntu partition into /mnt and do the grub-install  command.

Then please provide output of 'uname -i' when rebooted into Lubuntu.

Other than suggesting a reinstall for Bodhi, perhaps DOOMguy has another suggestion.

#6 {object Object}

{object Object}

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

All three load fine, it's just Bodhi that doesn't work. uname -i outputs i686.
(How do you make those code block things?)

#7 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:44 AM

Re: code blocks

In the text window beneath the smiley face there are the <>. Click that icon.

#8 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

All three load fine, it's just Bodhi that doesn't work. uname -i outputs i686.

Good.  Then can you boot up Lubuntu and at Lubuntu terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Is Bodhi entry listed in the output?

When rebooted, can you see Bodhi entry and boot from it?

#9 {object Object}

{object Object}

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

Bodhi is listed in the output. When rebooted, I can see it but not boot from it. It now shows a blinking cursor, not just a black screen - like recovery mode.

#10 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

Bodhi is listed in the output. When rebooted, I can see it but not boot from it.

Okay, I think it confirms a bad install.

Other than a reinstall you can chroot into it from a livecd and update/upgrade and do a  update-initramfs, that's quite a lot of work and personally, since this is a new install, I'll opt for a reinstall. But as you said, you've tried a reinstall already.

I don't use a 32 bit version, perhaps others here on 32 bit can jump it.

But good luck.

#11 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:52 PM   Best Answer

Before reinstalling, I suggest you try two things.

1. Boot from the USB and run Bodhi from it. Do your normal stuff.
  2. Verify the new ISO by running a chksum on it. By 'new ISO' I mean get the 32bit ISO from sourceforge, and verify its integrity (it is after all huge download and this critical step ensures the file arrived intact). Burn a new liveUSB using the dd command, which can be found in this forum. We are wary about using unetbootin, and recent posts explain why

Your original question what have I done wrong here, I would question Install a different version of GRUB <---what were your reasons for ditching grub from the package, and where did you obtain this

edit: added a response to original query

#12 {object Object}

{object Object}

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:33 AM

Success! Using dd instead of unetbootin fixed it. Thanks for your help!

#13 {object Object}

{object Object}

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:35 AM

I tried ditching Bodhi's GRUB because I thought it might have been the cause of my problems. I used the grub-install command in Lubuntu.

#14 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

Congratulations, and you're welcome. Try something simpler, like changing themes, instead of something bold, like changing GRUB. But hey even our very own Jeff says, if it doesn't work, try again. And that's how we learn. Glad you sorted it out. Well I was going to send you some beer via USB, but I think it's in use (the port, I mean). :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users