• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spankmon

spankmon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOn a cactus

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

The apps that I want to autostart on login are xscreensaver, conky, cairo-dock, redshift and compton. I've found three different autostart methods here on the forum and within the settings menu... and managed to get conky, cairo-dock, and xscreensaver to autostart. But nothing works for redshift or compton. Now, I'm not even sure which startup method was the one that did work because I have left all three methods activated (two different startup gui's in the Moksha menu, and editing the file in .e/e/applications folder). For now I have created launchers so I can start them after logging in, but would really prefer them to auto-start. This is on a desktop PC with nvidia gtx 760 graphics card and the 375 proprietary drivers. I have also installed the compton-conf so I can actually adjust transparency etc., but it doesn't offer any option for autostart. Thanks.

EDIT: I finally got redshift to work on startup, but not compton.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

If you open the "System Settings" tool from your Menu -> Applications -> System Tools -> System Settings you will find a "Startup Applications" option that will let you add both raw commands and existing .desktop applications to run at startup via a GUI

If you have any issues with this tool let us know.

#3 spankmon

spankmon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOn a cactus

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I've tried several different ways to get compton to auto start using the Swami settings mgr. If I use the "applications search" it can't find Compton. When I use the command it will add the command ok, but still won't auto start Compton. I've tried the command compton -b and it still won't auto start. I've noticed that after adding the command, the file ".e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands" doesn't have the "| \" at the end which the other commands do have... so I tried adding that bit and Compton still won't auto start. I've also tried adding the command with the full path to /usr/bin/compton and still no luck. Also tried with the -b and the pipe slash. I have no problem starting compton after I log in... both with a terminal and a launcher using only the "compton" command. I've also tried removing all the other startup apps and using only compton, in case there was some sort of conflict. Still didn't work. The Swami gui works with all the other startup apps that are added.

#4 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:56 PM   Best Answer

Hello, try this link
http://forums.bodhil...screen-tearing/

#5 spankmon

spankmon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOn a cactus

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:36 PM

Thanks, The waiter. That thread was the solution for me. I needed to add... sh -c 'compton -b &' ...to the .e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands file as the FIRST entry of the file. If I add the command through the Swami gui, it modifies the command and won't work. So it needs to be added to the file directly. I love frying my brain attempting to fix things that are way above my level of expertise. Thanks again.

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

NP, I am glad you have solved it :)

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:20 AM

For the sake of improving our GUI tool could you please post the contents of the working file you've edited by hand as well as the contents of the file generated by the tool that did not work for you?

Thanks!

#8 spankmon

spankmon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOn a cactus

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

This is the working code from .e/e/applications/startup/startupapplications. Both lines were added with a text editor.

sh -c 'compton -b &' | \ 
xscreensaver

The other applications which I have on startup were added with the "startup applications" tab of Swami. They are cairo-dock, redshift and conky. Conky was picked up by the gui search (normally it wouldn't be) because, somehow, I added a launcher to the Main Menu apps "Other" section. I don't remember how I added the launcher to the menu, something about a custom personal menu.  So I didn't need to add conky as a command.

And these are the entries that were added with Swami that didn't work. This is how it showed up in the file, but the "and" symbol had been typed correctly in the Swami text box. This was before I had read the thread that solved my problem. I had also previously tried just adding "compton" in the Swami command and it didn't work either. It showed up in the file without the pipe slash.

xscreensaver | \ 
compton -b &

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

The last line doesn't need the pipe slash.

It likely didn't work because of how it reformatted the & symbol like you see there. Will have to see what I can do about that - thanks for sharing. 

#10 spankmon

spankmon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOn a cactus

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

I don't know if this is related, but every time I log in to Bodhi the caps lock light on the keyboard is activated... even though caps lock is not really activated... and I have to click it twice to turn it off. I switched to the Bodhi green theme and it still happens.

#11 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

I don't know if this is related, but every time I log in to Bodhi the caps lock light on the keyboard is activated... even though caps lock is not really activated... and I have to click it twice to turn it off. I switched to the Bodhi green theme and it still happens.

Spankmon, you may want to open a new thread for this as this thread has been marked as solved.

Thank you!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users