Photo

Recommendations for a PIM/Organizer for Bodhi 4.4?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bok

Bok

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPort Elizabeth. South Africa

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

I'm looking to install a Personal Information Manager / Organizer on Bodhi 4.4 and am hoping that the forum could recommend one, as I can't seem to find any in the Apt Center.

The system in running on a netbook with 2GB of ram and while I'm a big fan of Kontact, I feel it will pull in way too many dependencies and possibly compromise performance on a netbook.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm looking to install a Personal Information Manager / Organizer on Bodhi 4.4 and am hoping that the forum could recommend one, as I can't seem to find any in the Apt Center.

The system in running on a netbook with 2GB of ram and while I'm a big fan of Kontact, I feel it will pull in way too many dependencies and possibly compromise performance on a netbook.

Back then, I use Kontact too, and really love it, but it increasingly became problematic for gigs of mails, and problem with account incompabilities. :wacko:

Now, I use Rambox as PIM, which support way more accounts, but, very resource intensive, even more than Kontact, except for it mailing system, and it fully online, no offline capabilities. ;)

http://rambox.pro/#

#3 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

There is evolution in the repo and lxle has a nice implementation of mozilla build of seamonkey with mods for calendar, tasks and address book. See info at lxle.net. You can also add a calendar to thunderbird with the lightning add on. I think osmos is in the repo too, and there is another one but zI cant remember its name.

edit: orage was the other one I was thinking of, but not sure it is pim.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#4 Bok

Bok

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPort Elizabeth. South Africa

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:53 AM

Thanks so much folks for your input. I think that possibly osmo would be the least resource intensive of the one's in the repos for a netbook and as working offline is sometimes required,that would be the route to go.

#5 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 198 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

I used to use Osmo, but I now prefer Cherrytree. It's a hierarchical note-taking application, but it doesn't include a calendar. It's in the repos.

#6 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

I am starting to use topydo, for scheduled reminders.  I have added a Memo column for items to remember, without a due date, by creating a memo:1 Tag.  As soon as I get v4.3.1's screen resolution problem fixed (a different matter, in a different thread), I would like to dedicate the 4GB L701 to this purpose.  Topydo is an extremely  light-weight solution, and very fast to operate -- ready-to-go as soon as the OS wakes-up because there's no program to load and run.  I keep it open in terminal on a Desktop reserved for it. 

Bodhi v3.0.0 / stable - 32 bit, Legacy
ASUS eeePC 4G/701-L, Atheros wireless module | ASUS eeePC 701SD, Realtech wireless module

701L, 701SD - Celeron-M 900Mhz

#7 Rongxiang LIN

Rongxiang LIN

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

I would - not will - recommend Evolution or Mozilla Thunderbird because they worked for me before. With the advent of Gmail, I totally stopped using PIMs and digital organisers but I resorted back to the magnanimity of this planet earth: I use pen and paper to take notes, and I plaster a huge A1 size calendar on my wall and I keep ink markers around handy. Person meets personal, perfect without any cybersecurity concerns.  :rolleyes: 

Son. Student. Citizen.

#8 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

I am using Thunderbird on  a 2G machine. I use it as a mail client and to synch with my google contacts and my google calendar. It also has a task feature and probably other add ons you can use (the calendar, contact  and calendar synch are add ons)

Michel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users