6 replies to this topic

#1 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

I was just now using Inkscape. While following a tutorial I noticed that the Xenial version for Bhodi, fully updated, is a version behind the current version (0.91 vs 0.92.x) and that some features are different. 

Naturally I went to update with apt, but the newest version there is the version I have.  

My next idea was to look at Bhodi's own App Center. This was less useful than I wanted it to be.

There are no version numbers given in the AppCenter.

When I click to install it tells me "already installed" again with no version number.

My suggestion is that the AppCenter provide version numbers for the software. If I could have seen that it was trying to install the same version as I already have I could have saved myself the bother.

Maybe a little thing, but probably easy to include?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Your comment sounds like common sense. :) I would imagine a bit of code parsing either the filename would probably make your request a reality. 

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

A common misconception, so maybe something we should document somewhere more apparent, is that the App Center is some special software installation place.

It isn't though. The App Center is just a GUI front end that tells your package manager to install software via apt. Think of it like synaptic - but through a web browser. We don't list the version numbers there because the version of software installed on Bodhi 4 will likely be different than Bodhi 3 for instance which both work with the app center. 

Most of our software sources come from upstream sources - not the Bodhi repos - we don't really have the team size in place to manually check against all these version numbers and update them for something that is a very minimal improvement. 

#4 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:13 AM

I hope I am not beating a dead horse here. I will admit to lacking sufficient knowledge in web dev to offer a specific bit of code to make what I am suggesting work. apt-get -s install <package> with a keyword per page (inkscape, libreoffice-core-base or is it libreoffice-base-core, etc) with a search through the latter bit of the output for the keyword and some concatenation one could reliably(?) get a version number per individual install.

Like I said maybe my suggestion/idea is too kludgy and/or too dependent on perfect information to function 99+% of the time.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

It would be fairly trivial if I recall to display the version to be installed in the apturl ELM window that pops up after you click install, but this is different from displaying it on the web page itself. 

#6 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:02 AM

Even if this were something more-or-less manual, would it be that intensive to keep up to date?   That is, how often do version numbers update on most of these items?  I mean, I know windoz updates all krap x.x.x.x.351345234 nightly, but we are not doing that.  Weekly?  Monthly?  Maybe just something manual until we can script something?

That question posed, I would still think there would be some variable or something to pass that would capture this info; from messing around with web pages however I totally get where Jeff is coming from ["easy" is sometimes near impossible and also the converse!],.

Thoughts?

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:15 AM

The problem with displaying it on the web page is again - different Bodhi versions. Also - just different repositories people might have installed on their local systems.

For example let's say user A has a PPA installed for Thunar file manager - well the app center is going to install the latest versions in that user's repositories - not the Bodhi specific ones because that is how the package manager works and the App Center just sends commands to the package manager.

Not to mention different Bodhi versions all using the app center with different package versions for each. With the release of Bodhi 5 this Summer we will have 3 major Bodhi versions we are supporting at any given time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users