• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

Hi, guys,

I've installed the Opera browser last night. Running updates and upgrades showed that a lot of dependencies started missing.

The terminal suggested to run the following command

sudo apt-get -f install

To run this command I needed to explicitly authorize it by entering "Yes, do as I say!"

After running this command, the entire system died which was not a big deal - I performed a clean system re-install.

One of the lessons for me is to stay away from the Opera browser.

On the positive note - with clean re-installation, the system runs perfectly with no missing ppa's and dependencies.

It is nice to get into the New Year with a nice newly installed Bodhi.

Happy New Year to all of you!

Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:50 PM

Yikes!  Sorry to hear you had to do a new install!  I wonder what would cause that issue; I haven't used Opera personally...

Thank you for posting this - hopefully it will help others!

Also, great time to remind people to keep your data backed-up, because, you never know!

I remember when I ran a certain OS that starts with a "W" - as a power user/gamer I would re-install (religiously) every six months.  This kept my system running pretty much as well as possible (beyond many other registry tweaks, optimizations, etc).

Now as a Linux user, I feel so spoiled...I re-install once every few years...basically for major version changes (which I'm not even sure is needed).

On a semi-related note (I know, really ranting now) I have been a Maximum PC reader for over a decade.  They recently did a head-to-head article between MacOS, Windoz and Linux...low and behold, Windows won (no surprise, it's a magazine for gamers and the general public).  However, they knocked Linux due to "stability issues".  Odd that most every supercomputer and server in the world runs Linux...generally you would want a server and supercomputer to be stable, I would guess...

If they experienced stability issues... chalk it up to user error (they only have one staffer that claims to know Linux)?  Regardless, I couldn't finish the rest of the magazine I was so perturbed by that comment.  I would like to see a Windows PC be able to even go a month without a restart after updates (once every patch Tuesday I would come in and not be able to work for at least 10 or so minutes while my PC updated, restarted, updated some more, restarted, etc).  Can't remember the last Linux update I ran that required a "restart".  I know that stability and uptime are not necessarily the same, but they are very closely related.

Done ranting!

Thank you, Val!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

As a heads up whenever apt asks you to type "yes say as I do" it is because the operation it is about to attempt is going to purge a bunch of system critical packages that often ends up with an unusable system. 

#4 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

As a heads up whenever apt asks you to type "yes say as I do" it is because the operation it is about to attempt is going to purge a bunch of system critical packages that often ends up with an unusable system. 

I'm trying to think of a great wiki to augment with this information...

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#5 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

Thank you, Jeff.

The first warning of the potential problem was the installer’s message that the changes the Opera wanted to make could be harmful for the system.

The “Yes, do as I say!” Is something I will not ignore in the future.

Instead of Opera I will keep using Vivaldi. By the way, Jeff’s instruction on how to enable the Flash plugin helped a lot.

Val

#6 Rongxiang LIN

Rongxiang LIN

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

Happy New Year one and all at Bodhi too!  ^_^

Son. Student. Citizen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users