Upgrading Bodhi 3.0.0 to E22?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

This question is only partially Bodhi related, so I will understand completely if no one chooses to answer or venture an opinion; that being said, here goes :

According to the reading I've done, the only way to install E22 is via PPA (which is frowned upon in these forums, I understand). But, If I burned and installed Bodhi 3.0.0 on a system, removed the default Bodhi repositories, and added this PPA, it should, in theory, update the Bodhi installation to the current version of Enlightenment, E22?

As I said, I would appreciate, but don't necessarily expect, an answer to this question.

Happy New Year everyone!

amerigena

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:58 PM

Hello Amerigena, Happy New Year to you too!

This is not something I have tried  -  but back in the days of 3.x one of my (former) Bodhi n00bs in the posse went with E19 et seq, and reported (some 3 months ago) that he was still pretty happy with it.  

A n00b no longer, it seems!  

That was on a hand-optimised AMD APU-based low-budget Steam gaming box that was (for a while) the envy of his friends at school.  Back when the APU was a new thing.

If you like I'll ask him for an update?

Don't worry about people frowning on things you want to try.  Try them anyway!  

No big loss if it fails,  but the grin when you win is priceless!

Good luck with it - and let us know how it goes - all the best, Ben

#3 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:48 AM

This question is only partially Bodhi related, so I will understand completely if no one chooses to answer or venture an opinion; that being said, here goes :

According to the reading I've done, the only way to install E22 is via PPA (which is frowned upon in these forums, I understand). But, If I burned and installed Bodhi 3.0.0 on a system, removed the default Bodhi repositories, and added this PPA, it should, in theory, update the Bodhi installation to the current version of Enlightenment, E22?

As I said, I would appreciate, but don't necessarily expect, an answer to this question.

Happy New Year everyone!

amerigena

In theory, yes, but,

I don't know if current modules in Moksha are compatible with e22,

especially, and the most inportant for me, are themes. :)

#4 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

No, modules will gone. I mean extra modules. They are not compatible. I installed e22 from source some time ago. Also some themes are in trouble...

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Is there a reason you specifically need / want the 3.0.0 base instead of the 4.x base? E22 is actually in the Bodhi 4 testing brach for easy install (it will replace moksha though on the installed system). 

#6 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

I wasn't aware of that, Jeff. I'll try installing E22 that way.

Thank you.

amerigena

#7 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

So :

1). Install latest Bodhi.

2). Add testing repository.

3). Apt update && apt install enlightenment terminology, like the directions I've see before? And yes, installing e22 will remove Moksha, understood.

Thank you

amerigena

#8 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4675 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

See Jeffs introduction HERE

Enjoy,

Charles

#9 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

Seen Charles.

Thank you.

amerigena

#10 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

So far, this Bodhi install has been extremely stable, and since everything has been working so well, I'm getting accustomed to the lack of desktop icons - I haven't been able to figure out how to add folders to iBar yet. So no upgrade to E22.

Thanks again.

amerigena 

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Hello
Try this post:
http://forums.bodhil...+desktop +icons

There is mentioned a script created by elw3 user which solves your request.
http://forums.bodhil...helf#entry35243

#12 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

For me, I just love a completely "blank" desktop....image and nothing else....

Sorry you want desktop icons.  Guess that is why I am on this distro....my FS manges everything, and I don't use a desktop to hold my files.

You can do it in Bodhi...but ask around, others will help you.  I think icons are iBar driven or something similar.

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users