Bodhi Linux Forums: Bodhi in 64 bit? - Bodhi Linux Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Bodhi in 64 bit?

#1 User is offline   bkruggel 

• Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

I love Bodhi on my netbook, and was wondering if I should install it on the desktop that is shipping right now as well. Is a 64-bit version planned already? Or do you try to stay away from it?

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

At the moment a 64 bit version is not planned. If we get enough demand (and I get some team members willing to help) one will be put together. As it is all the backporting I am doing takes a good deal of time and adding a 64bit version effectively doubles this load. For now - just use a PAE kernel if you have more than 3gb of RAM.

Cheers,
~Jeff

#3 User is offline   elitegangsta 

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

View PostJeff, on 06 January 2011 - 02:38 AM, said:

At the moment a 64 bit version is not planned. If we get enough demand (and I get some team members willing to help) one will be put together. As it is all the backporting I am doing takes a good deal of time and adding a 64bit version effectively doubles this load. For now - just use a PAE kernel if you have more than 3gb of RAM.

Cheers,
~Jeff

Jeff,

I would vote for a 64-bit version myself too. However, since you are doing more than your fair share, and of course, doing it all for us, the community, i can applaud a 32-bit with PAE kernel. Just adding my 2 cents in though for a 64-bit vote.

#4 User is offline   Rob 

• LocationLondon

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

got my vote,

If there is a way I can help with this, then I would love to, I often find the fastest way of learning is being involved in a project which requires you to skill-up.
unfortunately my programming skills are extremely limited at most right now, learning SQL, C, Linux and Bulgarian confuses my little mind. :huh:
Regards
Robert
(Aka Zenettii)
--------------------------
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion. - Robert Pirsig

#5 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

View PostRob, on 03 February 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

If there is a way I can help with this, then I would love to, I often find the fastest way of learning is being involved in a project which requires you to skill-up.
unfortunately my programming skills are extremely limited at most right now, learning SQL, C, Linux and Bulgarian confuses my little mind. :huh:

If you'd be willing to learn how I create .bod files when the time comes we are going to need 64bit .bods created for offline application installers... Its not hard, just very tedious.

~Jeff

#6 User is offline   chris-kun 

• Arch Build Head
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

I also mentioned this in another thread but the arch build will be 64-bit as soon as I get it released (this weekend, perhaps.)

#7 User is offline   Michael 

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

I need a 64bit build environment now that Android requires it for froyo and above. That's the only thing keeping me from using Bodhi exclusively. I'd be willing to join the 64bit team. Let me know, please.

#8 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

View PostMichael, on 28 February 2011 - 11:51 AM, said:

I need a 64bit build environment now that Android requires it for froyo and above.

Really? Add another notch to the goofy things I dislike Google for, 64bit is planned at some point... No time frame as of yet though.

~Jeff

#9 User is offline   Rob 

• LocationLondon

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

View PostMichael, on 28 February 2011 - 11:51 AM, said:

I need a 64bit build environment now that Android requires it for froyo and above. That's the only thing keeping me from using Bodhi exclusively. I'd be willing to join the 64bit team. Let me know, please.

http://www.bodhilinu...4-build-thread/
Team here looking at 64bit
Regards
Robert
(Aka Zenettii)
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion. - Robert Pirsig

#10 User is offline   proverse 

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

I would also like to add a +1 vote for an x86_64 flavor of Bodhi.

Will be glad to help test the livecd/install of x86_64 on an amd turion64 and two core i3s. If it would be helpful, I could keep one i3 on source-built e17 and the other using Bodhi repo e17 to cross-check errors...

#11 User is offline   Timmy 

• Resident Know-It-All
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationSk√•ne, Sweden

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

View PostD.H., on 01 March 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

I would also like to add a +1 vote for an x86_64 flavor of Bodhi.

Will be glad to help test the livecd/install of x86_64 on an amd turion64 and two core i3s. If it would be helpful, I could keep one i3 on source-built e17 and the other using Bodhi repo e17 to cross-check errors...

I could also help testing with a Intel Core-2 Duo processor. (And a vote for 64-bit version.)
Not sure if I can (or have time) to help with developement, but if there be need I will look into it.
`Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.' - Linus Torvalds
0x092F4A92

Bodhi Linux QuickStart Guide
The Bodhi Guide to Enlightenment
Marking a thread as [SOLVED]
The Bodhi Linux Wiki
Help us, help you!
Handy tips for Bodhi

#12 User is offline   krustybaguette 

• LocationOlde Sturbridge Village Massachusetts Colony

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I got started with Bodhi because the laptop available for experimentation is a PIII 497Mhz Toshiba Portege with maxed out RAM of 320MB. So far I've got my basic apps working on it including some WINE apps which are a must for me to abandon Windows AND Mac. Next on my agenda it to replace it with a laptop with a bit more horsepower.

Sold my PPC Powerbook G4 a couple of days ago and should sell my Win7 Acer Netbook soon. Once I have my upgrade fund complete I'm looking at various Lenovo laptops. I want a minimum of 2, preferable 4gb RAM. Looking at X61 and X41 possibilities. The 12.1" tablet screen is the main appeal as I loved my Powerbook 12" for that compactness.

Does Bodhi, or any other Linux for that matter, support tablet touchscreens? If not, would there be any other video issues that may be difficult? With a large enough hard disk and enough memory I suppose I could keep Windows around as a virtual machine or dual boot to be able to use the touchscreen.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Ken

I hope this post is not badly placed. Used Lenovo X61 is one of the models I am considering and it has 64 bit OS on it.

This post has been edited by krustybaguette: 03 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

#13 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

Depends on the hardware - most touch screens are supported by the current Linux kernel. I am actually typing this from my tablet/netbook running Bodhi :)

~Jeff

#14 User is offline   Jahfoondah 

• LocationChicago 'Burbs

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

View Postkrustybaguette, on 03 March 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

I got started with Bodhi because the laptop available for experimentation is a PIII 497Mhz Toshiba Portege with maxed out RAM of 320MB. So far I've got my basic apps working on it including some WINE apps which are a must for me to abandon Windows AND Mac. Next on my agenda it to replace it with a laptop with a bit more horsepower.

Sold my PPC Powerbook G4 a couple of days ago and should sell my Win7 Acer Netbook soon. Once I have my upgrade fund complete I'm looking at various Lenovo laptops. I want a minimum of 2, preferable 4gb RAM. Looking at X61 and X41 possibilities. The 12.1" tablet screen is the main appeal as I loved my Powerbook 12" for that compactness.

Does Bodhi, or any other Linux for that matter, support tablet touchscreens? If not, would there be any other video issues that may be difficult? With a large enough hard disk and enough memory I suppose I could keep Windows around as a virtual machine or dual boot to be able to use the touchscreen.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Ken

I hope this post is not badly placed. Used Lenovo X61 is one of the models I am considering and it has 64 bit OS on it.

Krustybaguette - I have an old Toshiba like you (Satellite Pro 4600 PIII) did you also have problems with resolution, i'm stuck at 800x600 no matter what i do. It seems its a problem with all ubuntu based distros unfortunately. If so what did you do to fix this? Thanks

Also Jeff (your on the Bodhi Team right?) i'm really digging on Bodhi having found it via Lifehacker last week. I've run it Live on my new Vaio 64Bit and a 6 y/o Dell with no problems - i like the basic simplicity of it and Enlightenment is great. I want to install it on my moms Toshiba cause she likes it a lot too but until i get the res figured out she may be stuck with Win7. Again nice distro, compliments to you and the team.

#15 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:41 AM

View PostJahfoondah, on 03 March 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

I want to install it on my moms Toshiba cause she likes it a lot too but until i get the res figured out she may be stuck with Win7.

What gfx card? If it is an intel chipset try using the 2.6.38 kernel from the repo as it contains newer gfx drivers.

~Jeff

#16 User is offline   Rob 

• LocationLondon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

If you know your card and monitor can support higher resolutions, just make an Xorg.cfg file and input the resolutions in there and see what happens.
Had it before when Linux didn't supply all the resolutions my setup could handle, put them in the cfg file and problem resolved.
Regards
Robert
(Aka Zenettii)

#17 User is offline   sirlark 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostJeff, on 03 February 2011 - 05:16 PM, said:

If you'd be willing to learn how I create .bod files when the time comes we are going to need 64bit .bods created for offline application installers... Its not hard, just very tedious.

~Jeff

If you can point to some docs/resources I'd be willing to help here. Also +1 for vote for 64-bit version

#18 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Howdy There,

64bit is already planned for our 2.0.0 release. Old thread locked - if there are further questions feel free to open a new thread.

~Jeff

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users