#1 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

Before posting:
Before making a post in this part of the forum it is advisable to search for similar problems already being solved. This can be done via the "Search..."-box in the top right corner of the page, pretty close to your account information. If you don't manage to find a solution to the problem on the forums, search the web. Remember that Bodhi Linux is based on Ubuntu (0.x.y and 1.x.y: 10.04, 2.x.y: 12.04, 3.x.y: 14.04), so if you manage to find a solution to the problem on an Ubuntu setup, don't be afraid to try it. If it works, we encourage you to create or edit an article on our wiki. Another great resource is the Quickstart Guide which can be found on your local system under Main Menu → Bodhi Linux → Quick Start.
It might also be a good idea to have a look at our Forum Rules.

If you are having problem with installing/removing applications please check that your package lists are up to date by running eepDater or by issuing the following command in a terminal (go to Main Menu → Applications → Accessories → Terminology):
sudo apt-get update
If something went wrong during installation before updating it might be a good idea to issue this:
sudo apt-get -f install

What to include in a post:
Now, if you do not find any information about you particular problem and decide to make a forum post, please follow regular forum etiquette. Many of us browse this forum daily to help you with your problems.
If you use the testing repo, stating that is probably a good idea. If you don't know what the testing repo is, you are most likely not using it. Regardless of your problem, please include information about which version of Bodhi Linux you are running, and version numbers of any relevant packages. Most applications have an entry in their menus that reads "Help" or "About" where you can find the version number of the application.
If you are having problems with an application it is probably a good idea to try to run it from a terminal. Type the name of the application followed by the Enter/Return-key (i.e. to run Midori in the terminal, just type midori and hit Enter). If you do now know the command to launch the application from the terminal, please say that in your post, we will tell you.

Depending on your problem we will need different information about your system.
Information about your graphics card:
lspci -nn | grep VGA
Some info about your OpenGL drivers (might be good for graphics related issues):
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
Sometimes it might be a good idea to post which version of Enlightenment you are running, to find out which one, run this command:
dpkg -l enlightenment
To figure out which kernel you are using run this:
uname -r
To display information about the partitioning of your Hard Disk Drives:
sudo fdisk -l

After solving the problem:
If or when your thread gets solved, please mark it as solved.

When do I bump my thread?
Feel free to bump your own, unanswered post if it takes longer than 48 hours to get a reply, as most posts get a reply in some form or another in less time than that. As for bumping old posts, please don't, start a new thread and include a link to the old one instead.

NOTE that this thread is subject to change, it is never a bad idea to check here again before making a new post. If you feel that anything is missing or needs further explanation, please reply to this thread or send me a PM.

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBaltimore/Washington DC, USA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

Very helpful, thank you!

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12525 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

Awesome post. Stuck.

~Jeff

#4 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

boo

#5 JedMeister

JedMeister

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

Nice post Timmy! I'm a mod on another forum and would love to rob some of this. Would that be ok?

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12525 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

Nice post Timmy! I'm a mod on another forum and would love to rob some of this. Would that be ok?

Go for it.

~Jeff

#7 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

That's okay with me! Would like it if you made some sort of reference here. Not necessary though!

Glad you like it. :)

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#8 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

One suggestion:

Members while replying to a thread often quote the entire comment.

sometimes, the comment is too long and the reply is too short, and occasionally, a simple thanks or something like that.

Though expressing gratitude / thanks is a good thing and makes the troubleshooter aware that his tips were useful to the questioner, it is necessary to quote the entire comment.

Just use [ ... ] and then cut short the comment or only quote required statements.

This will avoid un-necessary scrolling.
Linux Beginners Search Engine | Linux Registered user #542307
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

#9 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Members while replying to a thread often quote the entire comment.

Just use [ ... ] and then cut short the comment or only quote required statements.
This will avoid un-necessary scrolling.

Totally agree.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#10 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

NOTE
that this thread is subject to change, it is never a bad idea to check here again before making a new post. If you feel that anything is missing or needs further explanation, please reply to this thread or send me a PM.

Pardon my ignorance, I could not figure out, how to PM. I just find an email link.
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

#11 GummyBearGeek

GummyBearGeek

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

if you click on the persons name (in the green bar above their post) of the person you wish to PM there will be an option to "send me a message" under their avatar. but the user you wish to send a PM to must have that enabled.

if i click on your for instance i do not get the option to send you a message. if i click on gohlip i do get the option to send him a message.

hope that helps.

Black Forest Gummy's. What's your favorite color ?

How To Mark As SOLVED

#12 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Ok thanks. Got it

#13 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Or just click the little envelop under the members avatar.

#14 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

oohh ok. Thanks. Too Difficult ;)

Edit:

may be since I had not activated PM, so I was not able to see little Envelope.

now I see it.

Edited by White Lotus, 20 November 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#15 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

Timski. Might be worth saying something about bumpin threads. I see a lot of posts sinking to the depths without an answer...it seems people are too polite to bump.

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#16 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

Yeah sure. Bumping old resolved threads is a big no-no though... :o

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#17 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

Doh, i mean peoples own unresolved ones, or 0 reply ones....gah nevermind ;)

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#18 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Do we have many of those?

#19 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members