A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Oh, I'm very sorry mr. Taff, was that less then helpful? Allow me to expand on my previous point - I meant to say if a certain individual is in dire need of assistance and no one is around - who you gonna call? That's right, the upstanding gentleman that is mr. Taff.

Nah, just messing with you, in all honesty, if a user has posted a question that goes unanswered for whatever reason and doesn't bump his own thread we're sure to have lost him by now. This is indeed a shame and we all should guard for posts that go unanswered. For now I think we should leave the unanswered ones from longer than say a month ago and watch out for posts that drop below the page view with zero replies. Also, I agree people should feel free to bump their own post if it takes longer than a day to get a reply, as most posts get a reply in some form or another in less time than that. As for bumping old posts I agree that's a no-no.

Timmy, could you add something along these lines to your post?

#23 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thats what i meant. Good thing you can read my mind...oh and less of the upstanding ;)

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#24 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

Oh also, could you add users shouldn't close their own topic? This is a feature some people make use of instead of marking as solved. I keep unclosing posts as I feel others might have something to add but can't due to closing it.

Replying to myself because hippy is too friggin fast and is already reading my previous post, so if I edited... well, you get the picture.

#25 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

May I make a suggestion (applicable to gurus) :)

Something like this:

If your Post gets unanswered for 24/36/48 hours (*whatever you prefer), then please join us on IRC (link) or you can PM me or any mod.

(or you can write the name of the ones who volunteer to help (with link to their profile / PM) ... and dont's mind getting PMs from unfamilier Bodhi User.

*I prefer 36 hours

24 hours too early because of time zone differences

48 hours too much to be patient.

Just my 2 cents :)

Linux Beginners Search Engine | Linux Registered user #542307
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

#26 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I'd say no to PM as that goes against the community idea... I'd rather have them bump their own post, which makes it rise to the top of the list in the Request Support section. That'll get the post some new attention.

That's my two dimes, three quarters and 3 cents... err... so we have one dollar between us... wanna buy some chewing gum?

#27 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Oh also, could you add users shouldn't close their own topic? This is a feature some people make use of instead of marking as solved. I keep unclosing posts as I feel others might have something to add but can't due to closing it.

Pardon me, but I do not know how to close a thread :( Do you mean to lock it?

I think only mods can lock it. marking solved generally does not lock the thread.

Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

#28 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Eek...no to pms i think. I like the irc idea though and 48 hours seems about right to bumpety bump.

Edit - I meant 36 hours ;/

#29 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Sharing and caring is the spirit of Linux and FOSS world, you have it in your blood ;)

Chewing Gum?, Last time I had it was about 8 years ago (when I used to Play Cricket representing cast and in intra college tournament). Cricketers have a habit of chewing gum when on field. Some of International cricketers do not remember a day when they stepped into cricket field without chewing gum. You reminded of those days, Those days were gr8 definitely worth more than a dollar ;) These days I am too buy with my family business.

btw, you replied to my one cent, what about another 1 cent advice 'to join us on IRC' ??? - I do not remember if any mod has a link in his / her signature inviting Bodhi Users to join on IRC web chat.

Regarding PM, It is just a request to look into the matter, replies are to be given in Forums as a post and not by a PM. - yet another cent :P , can I get a cadbury chocolate pleeeaassee ;)

EDIT:

+1 for bumping, but what if you do not get a reply after bumping. 

Edited by White Lotus, 20 January 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#30 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'll get around to editing this when I get home from work. Thanks for the input guys!

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#31 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Pardon me, but I do not know how to close a thread :( Do you mean to lock it?

I think only mods can lock it. marking solved generally does not lock the thread.

Instructions for marking as solved in a link in my signature...

As for locking, we don't want the thread to be locked when its solved. Generally only moderators should lock topics for various reasons. Not users, as someone else might have something to add to the post which might be helpful, or some user might not get the same result as the origional poster had with the solution offered.

#32 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

Can lock perms be removed for people who are not mods?

#33 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Might be able... let me look into it.

#34 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

I just disabled users closing topics.

#35 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

There we go...sorted :)

#36 White Lotus

White Lotus

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thank you aeonius and hippytaff

Regarding closing of thread, totally agree with aeonius.

Locking of thread should only be restricted to mods / admins.

The link which explains marking a thread as [SOLVED] does not specify that the thread will be automatically locked.

#37 jonabark

jonabark

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthern Vermont

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

Good info and guidelines. Probably guilty of some bad habits mentioned. Payin attention though. Some of these resources are also helpful for a newbie. This post should stay here for a good while.

#38 Josea

Josea

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

``` White Lotus another approach is to use spolier tags if you need to quote a lengthy post or even post a considerable amount of information yourself.

Dell D610 Bhodi 3.0.0  E19.3 2 GB RAM 80 GB HDD Pentium M Broadcom WIFI
Asus G73JH-A1 ATI 5870M Dual Boot Win 7 Bodhi 3.0.0 64 BIT

#39 shri

shri

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Before posting:
Before making a post in this part of the forum it is advisable to search for similar problems already being solved. This can be done via the "Search..."-box in the top right corner of the page, pretty close to your account information. If you don't manage to find a solution to the problem on the forums, search the web. Remember that Bodhi Linux is based on Ubuntu (0.x.y and 1.x.y: 10.04, 2.x.y: 12.04), so if you manage to find a solution to the problem on an Ubuntu setup, don't be afraid to try it. If it works, you are welcome to post in the Quick Fix - self fix part of the forums.
There are also a few guides written by the people that use Bodhi, to make your life easier. I would especially recommend
* The Bodhi guide to Enlightenment
* Bodhi Linux Hardware Wiki
* Bodhi Linux How-to section
* The QuickStart guide
* Document Wiki
It might also be a good idea to have a look at our Forum Rules.
The Quickstart Guide (mentioned above) can also be found on your local system under Main Menu → Bodhi Linux → Quick Start and The Bodhi Guide to Enlightenment is accessible from there.
If you are having problem with installing/removing applications please check that your package lists are up to date by issuing the following command in a terminal (go to Main Menu → Applications → Accessories → LXTerminal/Terminology):

$ sudo apt-get update
Now, if something went wrong during installation before updating it might be a good idea to issue this:
$ sudo apt-get -f install

What to include in a post:
Now, if you do not find any information about you particular problem and decide to make a forum post, please follow regular forum etiquette. Many of us browse this forum daily to help you with your problems.
If you use the testing repo, stating that is probably a good idea. If you don't know what the testing repo is, you are most likely not using it. Regardless of your problem, please include information about which version of Bodhi Linux you are running, and version numbers of any relevant packages. Most applications have an entry in their menus that reads "Help" or "About" where you can find the version number of the application.
If you are having problems with an application it is probably a good idea to try to run it from a terminal. Type the name of the application followed by the Enter/Return-key (i.e. to run Midori in the terminal, just type midori [Enter]). If you do now know the command to launch the application from the terminal, please say that in your post, we will tell you.

Depending on your problem we will need different information about your system.
Information about your graphics card:
$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
Some info about your OpenGL drivers (might be good for graphics related issues):
$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
Sometimes it might be a good idea to post which version of Enlightenment you are running, to find out which one, run this command:
$ dpkg -l enlightenment
To figure out which kernel you are using run this:
uname -r
To display information about the partitioning of your Hard Disk Drives:
$ sudo fdisk -l

After solving the problem:
If or when your thread gets solved, please mark it as solved.

When do I bump my thread?
Feel free to bump your own, unanswered post if it takes longer than 48 hours to get a reply, as most posts get a reply in some form or another in less time than that. As for bumping old posts, please don't, start a new thread and include a link to the old one instead.

NOTE that this thread is subject to change, it is never a bad idea to check here again before making a new post. If you feel that anything is missing or needs further explanation, please reply to this thread or send me a PM.

GOOD ONE . Really helpful!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users