Bodhi Linux Forums: What about the Raspberry Pi - Bodhi Linux Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What about the Raspberry Pi Suggestion for possible hardware support.

#1 User is offline   ShatPank 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi, this is my first post here so please excuse me if I'm reposting etc.

I've been following bodhi for a little while now, I'm a bit of a distro hopper though and never really stick to 1 distro or even 1 pc.

However, with the release of Raspberry Pi looming, I thought this could be the perefct platform for Bodhi to gain a great foothold, the platform is small and low end (700mhz) with low amounts of RAM (128mb on the lowest end model).

From what I've read, Debian is already running on there, and as far as I'm aware Bodhi ARM is debian based?

Hope this could be helpful for you, I'd offer to have a go at porting it myself when it's released but i'm afraid my technical knowledge stops at hardware, I would however be happy to get a board and provide any help i could

Regards.
Stuart

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

Once the Raspberry Pi devices release I plan to order both the low and high end models (for the princely sum of 60 USD) and ensure Bodhi for ARM works on both of them.

These will be added to our officially supported devices.

Welcome to the boards,
~Jeff

#3 User is offline   ShatPank 

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Thank you very much, it's great to see Bodhi coming on so quickly.

Glad to hear of plans to support Raspberry Pi, I assumed it would be the case, but thought I'd give a heads up just in case it had slipped under the radar somehow.

Considering most ARM based systems seem to be fairly closed up, and therefore graphics acceleration seems to be quite restricted, is this likely to be the case with Raspberry Pi, I've seen a video of it running full 1080p video so I'm assuming this is a rare case of exception to the rule.

Stuart

#4 User is offline   M1C4HTRON13 

• Artist
  • Group: Web Team
  • Locationlost some were in Ireland

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

I'm sure they've had Debian running on the alpha boards and our ARM build is built on that so we should have no trouble.
Computer's are like air conditioning.If u open WINDOWS they dont WORK

#5 User is offline   ShatPank 

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostM1C4HTRON13, on 22 September 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

I'm sure they've had Debian running on the alpha boards and our ARM build is built on that so we should have no trouble.

I thought this was the case with the ARM build, so Bodhi popped straight to mind thinking there should'nt be a horrific amount of work to get it running (I might be wrong though).

And more, Raspberry Pi want it to encourage younger people to experiment with code etc, but most will lose interest if it's "ugly" so to speak, another reason I thought of Bodhi, I'd expect it's footprint would be on par with a stripped LXDE Debian build, and it will be massively prettier.
Personally I've found Bodhi desktop much easier to setup and configure to my liking than I ever have Debian (I've not tried Bodhi ARM yet though) so even for small projects like a basic HTPC, it should be perfect

Stuart

#6 User is offline   Flymo 

• Diamond Geezer
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

This would be ideal - I've been hoping to get a couple of Raspberry Pi to take back to Oz at the end of the month. Either way, there's a need for exactly this in schools everywhere. I plan to be at Linux.conf.au again next year in Ballarat, it's only down the road from us, and this time we're determined that floods will not stop us!

May have to build a boat, mind you, it was a bit wet last year in Brisbane.... :rolleyes:

Be a good place to show Bodhi to people - anybody else going? We could form the nucleus of a BOF....

#7 User is offline   loyd_sonic 

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

Do you guys think the Raspberry Pi will be available in Asia (Japan)? Got so excited when I heard about this cheap ARM based computer.

#8 User is offline   M1C4HTRON13 

• Artist
  • Group: Web Team
  • Locationlost some were in Ireland

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

View Postloyd_sonic, on 23 November 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

Do you guys think the Raspberry Pi will be available in Asia (Japan)? Got so excited when I heard about this cheap ARM based computer.

yer I'm fairly sure that they'll be shipping worldwide.
Computer's are like air conditioning.If u open WINDOWS they dont WORK

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users