402 replies to this topic

#41 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

It's what I though, because the information was passed to the journalist, from the Enlightenment people in the stand. Maybe Devilhorns......

DH is state side, must not have been him.

~Jeff

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#42 fore17

fore17

• Banned
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

DH is state side, must not have been him.

~Jeff

What I found to be remarkable is that there's a number of senior members at Enlightenment, witch is the case of the ones at Cebit, that know about Bodhi, recognize and valuate the good work that has been developed here and certainly trust that Bodhi has good perspectives to stand as a long life and successful project. As they are confident about all that, they did not hesitate to mention Bodhi specifically, and not other Enlightenment oriented distro, to the journalist This is something that you, the board team and the users may well feel proud about.

#43 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationOak Ridge, Tennessee

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Bodhi's increasingly higher profile just in the past couple of months alone in unexpected places shows how much people are interested in desktops outside of the two heaviest hitters.

While there's been an increase in Enlightenment-related desktops lately, they've all taken the standard "install a lot" approach. Bodhi's carved out enough of a niche early enough in its development that any other distro coming along with a similar approach will first be (rightly or wrongly) tagged as being "like" Bodhi in its approach. It says a lot about both Jeff's perspective and the quality of care Enlightenment's getting under Bodhi.

The fact that Enlightenment itself is getting more attention from other distros as an alternative desktop is long past due, with Xfce and LXDE having gotten well-deserved attention of their own in so many distributions.

Vivent la difference.

#44 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

Jack Wallen has taken a shine to Bodhi of the late -

http://www.ghacks.ne...in-bodhi-linux/

http://www.techrepub...ombination/2339

~Jeff

#45 jschall

jschall

Gold Member

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMont Saint Hilaire, QC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Jack Wallen has taken a shine to Bodhi of the late -

I just wish he'd learn how to spell it :P
the other Jeff
----------------------------
eeePC 701 4G Bodhi Forum Members Map

#46 fore17

fore17

• Banned
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

And now the first review I'm aware about the stable release.

linuxaria

#47 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

I saw the Linuxaria review last night but hesitated about posting it right away only because in the section preceding "Installation," the long quote pulled from the Bodhi site seemed to be a bit too long given the full length of the post. The last two quoted paragraphs would have been sufficient preceeded by an overview in the author's own words of two or three sentence or, better yet, simply omitted the pulled quotes before the paragraph beginning "Unless..."

The same goes for the extensive quote from Tech Republic. Giving them quotation credit on their results would have read much better if those few words would have been surrounded by the author's own words setting it up.

I was remembering Jeff's blog post about lazy reviewing. Not that it was fully lazy by any means -- the author had an outstanding "Installation," "Software Included," "Install More Software" and "Conclusions" section. With such a long pulled quote from the site, the review almost begs for a "Bodhi-bashing" comment.

That's good, though, because it means that Bodhi is rising on the radar of reviwers' "to do" lists. I find it interesting to note that Fedora, openSuSE, et al. aren't often commented with, "Oh, no, another [Fedora, openSuSE, Debian] review" when a new version hits the streets. Very interesting, as Arte Johnson would have intoned.

Notice how comments on most review sites fall into either the "not another take on Ubuntu" or (fairly certain it's a lone voice repeating) "why not base it on Debian and you don't have signed packages" categories while not mentioning the fact that Ubuntu is used as a base and a lot of genuine unique, heart-felt work has gone into making Bodhi "Bodhi" instead of "just another *buntu." Big difference, there.

As far as a grade for the review itself, I'd say "B+." The only thing keeping it from an "A" grade is the long pull-quote.

Otherwise, a very good review reporting what makes Bodhi stand out in a sea of distros.

#48 fox

fox

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

Of all the comments made from Dedoimedo's blog, I thought the most useful one was the suggestion to add to the installation script the option for installing specific additional software. CrunchBang includes a script to do this as part of the installation process, and it works well. I think this would fit in well with the philosophy of the distro, as it adds virtually no weight to the distro, allows those who want it not to install the additional programs, and would do nothing other than what is already done on the Bodhi website. While it wouldn't have made any difference to me personally, it might to at least some beginners. I hope you'll consider this, Jeff.
Mike

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Various Debian & Ubuntu-based distros on virtual machines on
Mac mini, iMac and MacBook Pro
Acer Timeline 1810TZ with OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD (Bodhi, Ubuntu 11.10)

#49 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

TWIL mentioned Bodhi in the latest video.

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#50 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

Lots of great buzz about our 1.0.0 stable release!

http://www.h-online....le-1216465.html

http://blogs.dailyne...x-hits-100.html

And if you are wondering some of the things running through my mind about Bodhi... Take a peek at an interview I did that was just posted over @ Tech Republic:

http://www.techrepub...f-hoogland/2354

Cheers,
~Jeff Hoogland

#51 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

fox, you raise a very good and important point. I'm glad to see it mentioned now, early in Bodhi's lifetime, so it won't be picked to death for months on end. Follow my thinking for a couple of minutes.

My take on any additional scripting for installing additional software at installation is that the scripting wouldn't be coming out of thin air, but as Bodhi-specific additions to Ubiquity itself. It becomes just One More Thing to maintain. There would be the recompiling, bug-testing, etc. With so few "systems" people in Bodhi, it's one more task one of us familiar with Python (anybody other than me? anybody?) to take the time and become very familiar with Ubiquity's code. I've skimmed through that code and the many files and directories it contains. It is no less work than becoming a contributor and maintainer of a section of Pidgin, Evince, Rhythmbox or anything else. I shiver at the thought of maintaining such a Ubiquity fork. It takes time from important work. That's the one major point against any install-extras-at-install time.

What if the server is temporarily unavailable for some reason (or just the downloadable bods or the netinstalled applications)? That would make the entire install process look bad -- or at least "iffy." It happens to other distros who count on elements being pulled automagically from the net all the time. And does add time to the install process itself.That's a second point (and a half) against install-extras-at-install time.

What about the element of convenience? If you were installing Bodhi on multiple machines individually, whether at different locations, or on days independent of each other, wouldn't it save bandwidth & time as well as being more convenient to have the .bods on an external drive? Plug in from machine to machine, copy them to the machine immediately after setup and be done with it. Also convenient if you wanted to install application B but not application C on a specific machine. (I've done this very thing and using .bods on an external usb drive made it a cakewalk with the RCs.) Point three.

The user is going to be installing other software The Bodhi Way as more & more packages (applications, whatever you want to call them) are added to the Bodhi Software Center as time goes by. They may as well learn from The Beginning. It's a few moments longer than selecting an application by name only in a script. When installing from the software pages, the user receives a lot of information about the application in plain language, ultimately making for a more informed user if they even glance at the words on the page. At worst, they will have a memory of where to find some information about an application. I consider that knowledge a good thing. Point four.

Once each user has the same minimal system, they can take the time to see what is installed by default. Then consider what to install instead of doing it in an "I have to hurry and choose something" fashion. Point five.

An easy, fast, almost hands-off installation process. That's the ultimate in simplicity (and elegance)...the exact same installation experience for everyone before they make Bodhi into their own.

No distro I know does it that way. That's because (again), it's The Bodhi Way.

I ramble at length because I'm passionate about the Bodhi vision of elegance and minimalism.

#52 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Another slew of Bodhi 1.0.0 news has appeared on Lxer this afternoon:

http://dasublogbypra...-linux-100.html

http://www.linuxprom...sign-principles

http://www.unixmen.c...-bodhi-linux100

Cheers,
~Jeff

#53 fox

fox

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

All three were very complementary, I might add, and one went to great lengths to explain how Bodhi is really unique.
Mike

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Various Debian & Ubuntu-based distros on virtual machines on
Mac mini, iMac and MacBook Pro
Acer Timeline 1810TZ with OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD (Bodhi, Ubuntu 11.10)

#54 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

Tribute to our graphics designers over @ Linux Graphics Users:

http://linuxgraphics...g12468#msg12468

~Jeff

#55 vskye

vskye

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

Tribute to our graphics designers over @ Linux Graphics Users:

http://linuxgraphics...g12468#msg12468

~Jeff

Congrats to all. Nice! :D

#56 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

"The little-distro-that-could has seen its first major stable release with 1.0. This mimimalistic distribution burst onto the scene less than six months ago and has create a bit of a mini-sensation."

http://www.linuxjour...ting-week-linux

~Jeff Hoogland

#57 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

When I was looking at Bruce Byfield's review, this statement stuck out like a sore thumb (in a good way):

"However, it is also a basic axiom of security that you can't safeguard a system when you don't know what's on it -- a benefit that I'm surprised that Bodhi doesn't mention."

I've preached for years that the more stuff you have, the greater the chance for attack vectors. With Bodhi's design from the beginning, that thought never occurred to me in terms of p.r., but should have. The heart of Bruce's comment, "...it is...a basic axiom of security that you can't safeguard a system when you don't know what's on it..." is succinct and a perfectly Bodhi Way of stating yet another reason to use Bodhi.

#58 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

My girlfriend had mentioned that quote as well - I'd never thought about it that way, but yes that is very much true.

~Jeff

#59 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

A thing that you hear pretty often is that any system is just as weak as its weakest component.
- Or that a chain is never stronger than its weakest link.

...Since we're talking quotes ;)

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#60 fore17

fore17

• Banned
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

"The little-distro-that-could has seen its first major stable release with 1.0. This mimimalistic distribution burst onto the scene less than six months ago and has create a bit of a mini-sensation."

http://www.linuxjour...ting-week-linux

~Jeff Hoogland

I think it's right. Bodhi stable release made a nice fuss in the Linux ecosystem.

The reason it's because Bodhi is small and simple. Enlightenment ruled on that, enabling Art and Customization to be determinant factors for the current success.

I think Bodhi main site page is not making due justice to that. Its a must to have there some clear references to the Bodhi art features, like the Art Download pages, The Art Wiki pages and the Art *here what else you think is relevant * pages.

By the way. Now that stable release is available since right one week ago: could Jeff tell us how many downloads it had ?

Have a good bodhi to all of you.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users