Bodhi Linux Forums: How many more E17 Distros out there? - Bodhi Linux Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many more E17 Distros out there? lets support all of them

#1 User is offline   fore17 

  • Member
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 604
  • Joined: 02-December 10

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

I like Bodhi for its minimalist form. But there are a few more E17 Distros out there. And I like E17, above all.
I like Bodhi for its minimalist form, but I think the Bodhi community, should be enough open minded to understand the advantages to embrace all other E17 distros and contribute to its improvement.
Is this a kind of loosing fidelity for Bodhi, of me, or am I right when I think that the better the Bodhi competitors behave, the best to both Bodhi and E17?
Jeff Hoogland is stupid
0

#2 User is offline   ylee 

  • King of the Software Page
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 1242
  • Joined: 11-April 11
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

I don't really see other distros as competition. I use bodhi almost exclusively but I like several distros and am comfortable in several DEs and probably would like more if I tried them. I also think that if e17 improves (as it will) so will any e17 based distro. And the more distros that use e17 the better. More users will or should mean more bug reports more patches submitted and maybe even more developers and some new ideas.
Eight Linux Tech Tips for Beginners The Bodhi Guide to Enlightenment

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."
0

#3 User is offline   fore17 

  • Member
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 604
  • Joined: 02-December 10

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

View Postylee, on 16 November 2011 - 12:05 AM, said:

I don't really see other distros as competition. I use bodhi almost exclusively but I like several distros and am comfortable in several DEs and probably would like more if I tried them. I also think that if e17 improves (as it will) so will any e17 based distro. And the more distros that use e17 the better. More users will or should mean more bug reports more patches submitted and maybe even more developers and some new ideas.

ylee, I do too like other De's and use a few other than only E17... providing they're all Open Source, because I truly love open source, but I think competition is something inherent to the human being, may we like it or not. Look at the "fights" on the DW distro ranking ;)

I may be totally wrong, but I believe E hasn't yet reached the place it deserves in the Linux DE environment. If, and when I'm convinced I'm wrong, Then I'll turn my time and attention to be next (in my opinion) better DE. As for now, I'm really involved in advocating the E DE
Jeff Hoogland is stupid
0

#4 User is online   Jeff 

  • Lead Developer
  • Group: Developer
  • Posts: 9177
  • Joined: 23-November 10
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

In terms of a pre-configured E desktop I don't really think anything on the market currently can hold a candle to Bodhi. Most just stick the default E setup on top of a base distro and do no tweaking from there. PCLinuxOS was the most polished competitor and they no longer offer an E17 disc :-/

~Jeff
0

#5 User is offline   Justin_RO 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 24-September 11
  • LocationNew Zeeland

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Bodhi has its own community and plans. How and why can/should we support others distros? There is much work to do for Bodhi and more ppl are needed for its own plans.

What a silly idea!
0

#6 User is offline   Vaidotas 

  • /root
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 1442
  • Joined: 20-August 11
  • Location$HOME

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

I have used some, but they are nothing compered to Bodhi, becouse they have problems with support or they are full of preinstalled crap:
Elive - you need to pay for this one, but really do not see for what.
OpenGeo - is it still alive? I haven't seen updates on it for years.
MoonOs - nothing to say
MacPup - somehow I liked it, but had problems with network.
Sabayon - to much tuned for first time users. It contains all software preinstalled

I suggest install Bodhi, install all you needed software, Then:
1) download .bod files for future
OR
2) Use remastersys for backup/live CD of your Bodhi. Then you can install like normal Bodhi, but with previous setting. (Even Skype logged in automatically after reinstall).

PS: I have tried them, but for not to long because I was searching for distro which suit my taste. I also tried all kind of mint versions, opensuse ant other. But they still were something missing. When found Bodhi, I stayed using it, I like idea of having what you want, and where you want, ability to customize. Because even Windows (yes, I have this one big sin, which most is used for study program or games from time to time)loading and lo-gin screen are changed. Bodhi is also tuned, GRUB changed to BURG, Plymouth changed, lo-gin screen changed, default profiles not used, have custom. I really enjoy the idea to change all when you want.
0

#7 User is offline   Duma 

  • Artist
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2032
  • Joined: 20-February 11
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

For a lots of time I've searched E17 distros.
Elive I suppose is still "alive", but I haven't pay for the installation, so I don't know much.
OpenGEU is dead. It needs a packager and some developer... Its goal was to merge Debian (not ubuntu, is easier to merge respect ubuntu Karmic/intrepid). Honestly: when I see the great work of Bodhi devs to package not only E, many time I'm asking myself: "If this guys will be go in OpenGEU's theme, maybe was not dead. IS true that, maybe, Bodhi wouldn't born.
MoonOS: is using E17 repo of OpenGEU. Dead OpenGEU, MoonOS had use GNOME as DE.
MacPup: I've used, is good... have an old version of E, if I remember correctly... is a little bit complicated because is a Puppy and has a lots of mini-software.
Sabayon: While is Italian, I've never tried them... maybe because I prefer debian package :D .

Google speaks about OzOS, but it seems disappeared.
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!
0

#8 User is offline   meanpt 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 210
  • Joined: 01-February 11

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Nope, bodhi is THE enlightenment distro. bodhi is THE fast buntu.
0

#9 User is offline   aeonius 

  • Lord of the Website
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 2543
  • Joined: 17-July 11
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

That term you used "the fast Ubuntu" is not really true. Yes, Bodhi is build upon Ubuntu, but it's not Ubuntu.

Also, I still have to find any other distro that offers E complete with a community like this one, for all the help you need with the distro. I really think its a good idea to try out as many distributions as you can and want, but if you're looking for a distro that offers a stable and well functioning "pimped out" E, Bodhi is the way to go.
0

#10 User is offline   fore17 

  • Member
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 604
  • Joined: 02-December 10

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostJustin_RO, on 16 November 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

What a silly idea!

Justin, I'm afraid I haven't been too clear on my post.
Is Bodhi the best and the E17 reference on these days? Yes, it is. By far...... :) What good is that to Enlightenment? Bodhi placed attention on E as none other distro did before.
I've seen people really interested about E in other distros. I'm also happy about that, because it help E to be better known.
I feel E17 need more developers. Present E17 users, may some day become an E developer. No matter what distro they are coming from. The beter E will be, the best Bodhi will also be.
We here have already gained enough traction to keep our lead for many days to come.
Jeff Hoogland is stupid
0

#11 User is offline   Duma 

  • Artist
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2032
  • Joined: 20-February 11
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

View Postfore17, on 16 November 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

The beter E will be, the best Bodhi will also be.
We here have already gained enough traction to keep our lead for many days to come.

I'm agree with you.
In other forum I've noticed if bodhi could be moredev-friendly. I don't know how, but if Bodhi could offer instrument to turn a advanceduser to a developer, will be great for E and, of course, for Bodhi.
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!
0

#12 User is offline   Justin_RO 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 24-September 11
  • LocationNew Zeeland

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

View Postfore17, on 16 November 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

Justin, I'm afraid I haven't been too clear on my post.
Is Bodhi the best and the E17 reference on these days? Yes, it is. By far...... :) What good is that to Enlightenment? Bodhi placed attention on E as none other distro did before.
I've seen people really interested about E in other distros. I'm also happy about that, because it help E to be better known.
I feel E17 need more developers. Present E17 users, may some day become an E developer. No matter what distro they are coming from. The beter E will be, the best Bodhi will also be.
We here have already gained enough traction to keep our lead for many days to come.



Cant argue with that, but bad place for recruiting imho :). Should try some more general related linux stuff :). Bodhi needs this comunity to expand and grow. When it will reach that we can have another kind of talk.
0

#13 User is offline   gojira 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: 17-June 11

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:36 AM

[quote name='Jeff' timestamp='1321409226' post='28976']
In terms of a pre-configured E desktop I don't really think anything on the market currently can hold a candle to Bodhi.
[/quote

I think elive is in an entirely different league than body, their desktop is just fantastic; but, the installer is not free.

I am using bodhi instead of elive for a number of reasons.

But as long as we are only talking about the way e17 is integrated & preconfigured with the distro, elive is definitely more advanced than bodhi.
0

#14 User is online   Jeff 

  • Lead Developer
  • Group: Developer
  • Posts: 9177
  • Joined: 23-November 10
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:14 AM

View Postgojira, on 17 November 2011 - 02:36 AM, said:

elive is definitely more advanced than bodhi.


Cite examples. Last time I used Elive it was just as pretty as Bodhi, but in a dated shell with share ware installed by default.

~Jeff
0

#15 User is offline   ottermaton 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1175
  • Joined: 24-December 10
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

View Postgojira, on 17 November 2011 - 02:36 AM, said:

elive is definitely more advanced than bodhi.


Have you ever tried posting to the Elive forum? Or joining their IRC?

*...*..*...*....*........*..*.*....*
(tumbleweeds ^^)

If you still don't get it, try this

cheers
mark
0

#16 User is offline   Jose 

  • Web Guru
  • Group: Developer
  • Posts: 528
  • Joined: 28-March 11
  • LocationBangalore, India

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

View Postfore17, on 15 November 2011 - 11:55 PM, said:

I like Bodhi for its minimalist form. But there are a few more E17 Distros out there. And I like E17, above all.
I like Bodhi for its minimalist form, but I think the Bodhi community, should be enough open minded to understand the advantages to embrace all other E17 distros and contribute to its improvement.
Is this a kind of loosing fidelity for Bodhi, of me, or am I right when I think that the better the Bodhi competitors behave, the best to both Bodhi and E17?


Fore17, I think we are currently the Definitive place for E17 updates and up to date E builds.

1. Are we not already helping other distros evolve by pushing ourselves in a new direction, and/also by offering updated E builds?
2. What makes us different is not the fact that we are another E build, but the difference in keeping things clear, concise and as effective as possible. Of course we do have to work on better delivery methods to cater for newbies. But I would never imagine a newbie to even start with E :). I am sure we will get there with the current team and 2.0.
3. We embrace Free and Open Source software, keeping things fast and simple, what can be better than that? more bloat? Larger ISOs? Umm more Graphics at the expense of freedom/usability?
4. How open minded can we be without losing our identity /me "quotes bodhi tag line"?

There are many nice to haves, but its where we draw the line and balance it all, providing a rounded service that users can actually depend on.

If there is a support post on bodhi forums, in 24 hours there will be at least one post with an attempt/offer to help! I have never seen this in small projects like ours, but only in large user base projects like Fedora. I think we have something super/unique going here and the more we try to keep things evolving and minimal the more we make a mark in the Linux community. Proud to say I am helping Bodhi evolve!

Cheers,
Jose
0

#17 User is offline   Deepspeed 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 23-June 12

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'd have to say that bodhi is pretty noob friendly. I gave a friend of mine the .iso on a flash drive and guided him through the install during a 10 minute phone call, and he didn't even know what linux was until the week before when I brought my laptop to his house. I took his pc home and spent two days updating and customizing it for him since he didn't have internet, and he loves the thing. It's at least 4 times faster than the xp distro that was on it, too.

Also, yes, the forums and IRC here at bodhi are the best I've found in a small community, and that's not limiting it to a linux community, either.

ALL HAIL BODHI LINUX, THE E DISTRO WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY AND THE HIGHEST RATIO OF FORUM LURKERS AROUND!

What I love about this thread is that nobody here is gloating in a biased way about bodhi's superiority. I feel like most all of us are linux lovers, and would gladly embrace anything better than bodhi if we could find it, but at this point, it doesn't get much better than this.
2

#18 User is offline   shrinivas 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 08-March 12

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostDeepspeed, on 05 October 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'd have to say that bodhi is pretty noob friendly. I gave a friend of mine the .iso on a flash drive and guided him through the install during a 10 minute phone call, and he didn't even know what linux was until the week before when I brought my laptop to his house. I took his pc home and spent two days updating and customizing it for him since he didn't have internet, and he loves the thing. It's at least 4 times faster than the xp distro that was on it, too.

Also, yes, the forums and IRC here at bodhi are the best I've found in a small community, and that's not limiting it to a linux community, either.

ALL HAIL BODHI LINUX, THE E DISTRO WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY AND THE HIGHEST RATIO OF FORUM LURKERS AROUND!

What I love about this thread is that nobody here is gloating in a biased way about bodhi's superiority. I feel like most all of us are linux lovers, and would gladly embrace anything better than bodhi if we could find it, but at this point, it doesn't get much better than this.


Then there is petite linux, https://sites.google...te/petitelinux/ based on OpenSUSE 12.2, but I don't know how it works !
Regards
0

#19 User is offline   Deepspeed 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 23-June 12

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've done a little more searching and found some cool E-17 distros.

I tried Macpup and found out it's waay better than I expected, but still has that puppy awkwardness at times. I love how it fits on a mini-cd, though, and my computer-illiterate buddy is currently navigating his way around text editors and the web on macpup with no problem. :D

Snow linux 3 Crystal had an E-17 RC, but pulled the final release. I installed the RC and it seems to run good, aside from segfaults that remind me of when I first started using 1.4. If this distro gets fixed and becomes active, it could definitely be competition for us. I'd welcome it.
I found a hacking-centered gentoo distro called pentoo, which uses an older version of e, similar to 1.4, and is only a live cd, but I like the feel of it, and it seems useful, though I didn't test all of the tools out.j

Google led me to something called easenix that seems to be a new ubuntu+E-17 distro, which I'm now downloading to try.

I heard about petite linux a few days ago, and the dl links were broken when I tried them. They worked today, and I'm currently downloading that as well. I'll report back with whatever I find about them.
0

#20 User is offline   DisappearingOak 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 07-March 12

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Fellows, I'm also searching for e17 distros and came across a few

There's AtlasX (based on Debian but full featured with OpenOffice and software installed). It was ok although it didn't run properly on my pc because my hardware requires newer graphic drivers, etc. Should run fine for anyone else though.

There's SparkyLinux which I haven't tried. There's DaxOS (it is not available in English as of yet as far as I know) which uses e17 as the wm along with an in-house DE written with some gambas software. Videos can be seen on youtube searching for "DaxOS".

Now there are like three or four more which were developed in the 31 Flavours of fun project. There's Enlightened-libre, Enlightened Wheezy (rolling release based on Debian, should be supported for two years). and also one called E2O (Enlightenement 2 Oxygen).

http://31-flavors.yaskulka.org/

I haven't tried these, only AtlasX. I will be downloading, on my slow connection a couple of these to try. If anyone has used them please post reviews or thoughts.

Thanks.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users