88 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

The bug list isn't terribly high for 1.2.1 so any requests for our 1.3.0 release? We will begin testing a more current E build to shove onto it soon (EFL's are almost at their 1.1.0 stable release) I plan to build up either the 3.1.0 or 3.2.0 kernel (which ever is the latest) for this release. The default themes will also be getting rotated as always. I was thinking of replacing the taskbar module in all the profiles with the itask modules since that module is more flexible/customizable.

Any other suggestions/ideas? Any thing in the default Bodhi experience that needs to be improved (that doesn't break from our minimalistic goals of course)?

~Jeff

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

First! First!
- Itask will be great to use, IF it works great, at the moment, still have the resize problem ;)
- Replacing PcManFM with PcManFM-mod? the last one is more customizable with user actions and has more functions.
- Have you see the another light (I suppose) file manager Marlin? Used for elementary OS, still on develop
- Post Installation Script to choose Minimal / Prathiba / Nikhila Package?

If went me other ideas, I'll post here! ;)
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#3 Guest_lostbumpkin_*

Guest_lostbumpkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Itask still only works for me if I place it on a shelf. It used to work if placed on the desktop, if that is attempted now it just looks jumbled.

#4 STRUPPI

STRUPPI

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hi Duma,
I have tryed PCManFM-mod..was not so good on my PC....Standard ist better..
For this "handfull" +functions change to this old -mod-Version...?

#5 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

I've appreciated a lot PcManFM-mod because it has user-actions (user choiche!) and other features that at the moment I don't remember... i'mlucky andmy desktop can use Nautilus Elementary, so I didn't use PcManFM-mod from Bodhi 0.6 release ;) .
If it doesn't work well, of course we don't useit by default... what was wrong with it Struppi?

#6 STRUPPI

STRUPPI

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

chrashing E16, later E17 + PCManFM....+ with aktive places modules
So, the "original" work as stable...the -mod as BETA

#7 Justin_RO

Justin_RO

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNew Zeeland

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

Any other suggestions/ideas? Any thing in the default Bodhi experience that needs to be improved (that doesn't break from our minimalistic goals of course)?

~Jeff

Actualy I have one. Jeff, can you load the shot module by default and bind the Print screen key to it, so print screen will work out of the box, please?

About E, use the most stable/tested one. Same with the kernel. we talked about this on irc, the most stable is much more welcomed than the newest ;) .

Thanks! If somethink else comes in mind, will let you know.

#8 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Minor tweaks which would by nice, and almost invisible:
1. Hide system reserved, I know that this is useful for only thous who uses also Win7 or Vista next to Bodhi. But this does not eat any space, well a little, it only 2 text files.
2. Clipboard fix, or something alternative, because current copy/paste policy is really annoying
3. Fix root trash deleting. (when you delete files as root, you can not go to trash, you need to go to /home/root/.local/share/trash or ~at least there somewhere
4. Remove entry of Application from PCmanFM, does it work for anyone?

Maybe, maybe not
1. Change defaults focus settings to on click, instead of mouse over
2. Not sure for this one, but after updates (enlightenment mostly) in menu I see entries Elementary test and other one, I suggest to hide it (un check show in menu). I doubt that it is useful for simple users, if you are creating E17 themes, then you know where they are if you want to test (/usr/share/applications).

E based, maybe not achievable soon:
1. Desktop icon, but without menu entry of Files. I like to have desktop icons, but I prefer Places+PCmanFM, instead of enlightenment file manager. Now if you want to have desktop icons, and use places+pcmanfm, you must have both entries in menu

Graphic change/tweek:
1. Maybe it is time to change default plymouth? Some time ago, you said you liked the last one. If you have an idea, maybe I can alter it.
2. Login screen picture(or even other manager, elsa?). I always edit login screen, and remove that orange word login. I guess some users would prefer to enter only password to login. I am talking about list of users in login screen.
Posted Image

Not so minor, so you might skip these (even commenting, know policy of minimalism), because not so useful for all users:
1. Change Grub to Burg. Maybe the time has come to have a nice screen when selecting OS. I can write a guide how to install it, but only after install. Themes are quite easily editable.

2. Keyboard layout in systray This one is working stable on Bodhi (not like kkbswitch or X Neural Switcher). If you using only 1 keyboard layout you might not understand, what pain it is to enter password multiple times, because you do not know what keyboard you are using now, english,chinese,german?
Posted Image

#9 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

I suppose keyboard layout is not on minimalist concept of Bodhi, but it could be a Bodhi-Keyboardlayoutchooser package that allows to install the better solution you have found ;)

#10 nasa

nasa

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

This one should be easy (it's already reported in SVN) - make sure the mixer works with pulseaudio.
NASA

Machine #1: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333, SSD Drive, Bodhi 2.0.1 64-bit

Machine #2 (Car PC): Foxconn AHD1S-K AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson D1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo, 2GB Ram, SSD Drive, Bodhi 2.0.1 32-bit

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:58 AM

- Itask will be great to use, IF it works great, at the moment, still have the resize problem ;)
- Replacing PcManFM with PcManFM-mod? the last one is more customizable with user actions and has more functions.
- Have you see the another light (I suppose) file manager Marlin? Used for elementary OS, still on develop
- Post Installation Script to choose Minimal / Prathiba / Nikhila Package?

itask: I'll have to play with itask some more - what resize issue are you talking about? Is it any different from the current resize issue taskbar has with too many open applications?

pcmanfm-mod Not going to happen. This project is a full split from the PCManFM first draft code. The version we use is from the second draft of PCManFM code and it does a few things better than the older version (or the mod version) does.

other file manager No other light file manager at this time exists with all the features we need and has the maturity of PCManFM.

Post Install Script Not going to happen. We point users to the application center already that contains all these things. If users can't help themselves that much, thats truly sad. That being said, our installer slides will be getting a revamp to point them towards these resources a bit more.

Itask still only works for me if I place it on a shelf. It used to work if placed on the desktop, if that is attempted now it just looks jumbled.

Moot point as all taskbars in Bodhi are on shelves.

Actualy I have one. Jeff, can you load the shot module by default and bind the Print screen key to it, so print screen will work out of the box, please?

About E, use the most stable/tested one. Same with the kernel. we talked about this on irc, the most stable is much more welcomed than the newest ;)

Shot Module: This is already done as of the Bodhi 1.2.1 release (it was done in 1.2.0 as well with the exception of the laptop profile which was missed).

I always aim to have the latest stable E build in the main repo whatever the latest in the main repo at the time of the 1.3.0 release is what the disc will ship with. Whatever the latest mainline kernel version is released at the time is what the release will ship with as well.

Minor tweaks which would by nice, and almost invisible:
1. Hide system reserved, I know that this is useful for only thous who uses also Win7 or Vista next to Bodhi. But this does not eat any space, well a little, it only 2 text files.
2. Clipboard fix, or something alternative, because current copy/paste policy is really annoying
3. Fix root trash deleting. (when you delete files as root, you can not go to trash, you need to go to /home/root/.local/share/trash or ~at least there somewhere
4. Remove entry of Application from PCmanFM, does it work for anyone?

Maybe, maybe not
1. Change defaults focus settings to on click, instead of mouse over
2. Not sure for this one, but after updates (enlightenment mostly) in menu I see entries Elementary test and other one, I suggest to hide it (un check show in menu). I doubt that it is useful for simple users, if you are creating E17 themes, then you know where they are if you want to test (/usr/share/applications).

E based, maybe not achievable soon:
1. Desktop icon, but without menu entry of Files. I like to have desktop icons, but I prefer Places+PCmanFM, instead of enlightenment file manager. Now if you want to have desktop icons, and use places+pcmanfm, you must have both entries in menu

Graphic change/tweek:
1. Maybe it is time to change default plymouth? Some time ago, you said you liked the last one. If you have an idea, maybe I can alter it.
2. Login screen picture(or even other manager, elsa?). I always edit login screen, and remove that orange word login. I guess some users would prefer to enter only password to login. I am talking about list of users in login screen.
Posted Image

Not so minor, so you might skip these (even commenting, know policy of minimalism), because not so useful for all users:
1. Change Grub to Burg. Maybe the time has come to have a nice screen when selecting OS. I can write a guide how to install it, but only after install. Themes are quite easily editable.

2. Keyboard layout in systray This one is working stable on Bodhi (not like kkbswitch or X Neural Switcher). If you using only 1 keyboard layout you might not understand, what pain it is to enter password multiple times, because you do not know what keyboard you are using now, english,chinese,german?
Posted Image

hiding system reserve Not going to happen. This is configuring default settings that hide things from the end user. If someone really wants to not see that partition they can make the tweaks you suggest. There is no reason to force this on users by default. Seeing it does not hurt anything.

adding clipboard manager by default Not going to happen. Goes against our minimalism adding extra application bloat. Copy+Paste is designed to be a per-application function, if a user wants to extend this function to system wide they can install a program such as parecellite.

root trash This is a PCManFM issue. I'll see if this issue has ever been addressed, if it has been fixed in a newer revision I'll try to get that into the release by default.

applications See above.

default focus settings This is the E17 default, I like it. Its really better once you get used to it.

elementary menu entries I really don't see these entries hurting anything. I don't recall why they where hidden by default in past releases, but I don't think this will be the case in 1.3.0

desktop icons That is an E thing that cannot be changed. That being said, even if it does get addressed in a future E release - unless I find myself drastically outnumbered I would prefer Bodhi default profiles retain no desktop icons by default. It makes the system much cleaner.

plymouth Open to discussion. I did like some of the ones you posted, once my school semester ends I'll package a few of them up and perhaps we can have a vote on them.

login screen I like out default login screen a lot. Unless someone has a new submission that is hugely popular among community members, I don't see this changing. As for which login manager is used - LXDM is planned to be used until our 2.0.0 release (at which point lightDM is a very good option). Other login managers either do not provide the stability we need or drag in too many other dependencies with them at this time.

burg over grub I'm missing the functionality burg provides over grub. Yes it looks slightly nicer, but I am currently under the impression it loses some functionality in order to gain this appearance increase. I am very much a belief of function over form, so the only way I would consider burg is if it provides 100% the functionality of grub.

keyboard switcher This falls under the same thing as the clipboard manager. Yes it is a nice addon - but it is just that: an addon. It is not a needed core system tool, I know many users would never use this and it would be considered system bloat to them. I do not want to add system bloat to the Bodhi core.

This one should be easy (it's already reported in SVN) - make sure the mixer works with pulseaudio.

The mixer module in Bodhi will gain pulse audio support when E's mixer gain's pulse audio support. Has this already been committed to E-SVN? If this is the case, pulse audio might be a viable option for the default in Bodhi 1.3.0 I will have to test it (along with our testing users) to see if it is stable.

~Jeff

#12 betazed

betazed

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Florida, USA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

I'll toss in my little bit:

1) Keep PluseAudio as far away from Bodhi as you can. It has caused numerous problems for me, and many other users (as the forums will show), on Ubuntu (from its introduction through 11.04) and it doesn't really do anything special that I can tell. Allow people to add it easily but it should not be in the core install of ANY distro and it is beyond asinine that they've included it. What already comes with Bodhi is fine for a core install.

2) One thing I want to see is the color of the clock changed on the login screen. It is currently white-on-white except for the far right side (the M in AM or PM) which isn't exactly the important part.

3) I would like to see Firefox become the default browser again. Midori is nice but it doesn't play nice with Facebook and GMail and doesn't support HTML5 (at my last check). The size increase is marginal in the grand scheme of things.

#13 Ultralyd

Ultralyd

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:26 AM

On LENOVO Thinkpads the trackpoint is not configurable (speed, sensitivity). Installing gpoint-device-settings is useless because there are no such settings in it. There is a deb package called configure-trackpoint that would do the job if once started it would not say that there is no trackpoint detected at all. Again, trackpoint works but is not configurable (and it's pretty slow). Thanks

#14 nasa

nasa

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

The mixer module in Bodhi will gain pulse audio support when E's mixer gain's pulse audio support. Has this already been committed to E-SVN? If this is the case, pulse audio might be a viable option for the default in Bodhi 1.3.0 I will have to test it (along with our testing users) to see if it is stable.

~Jeff

Yes, it's already in SVN -- see this discussion: http://permalink.gma...ent.devel/34748
NASA

Machine #1: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333, SSD Drive, Bodhi 2.0.1 64-bit

Machine #2 (Car PC): Foxconn AHD1S-K AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson D1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo, 2GB Ram, SSD Drive, Bodhi 2.0.1 32-bit

#15 esmirlin

esmirlin

Spanish Translator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationValencia/España

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Here there are my tips (if not for 1.3 just what a miss in bodhilinux):

Itask and engage being able to keep launchers and tasks using the same icon, saving space and not having lots of repeated icons.

Lightdm as default please. Lxdm is just SO tacky... And a sound for login as default too.

Try to keep the system as close to E as possible, replacing all gtk libraries ( E file manager instead of pcmanfm is an example). The chakra project is doing a great job this way with its kde stuff, i still feel i'm using a gnome distro using bodhi.

At least a better integration gtk/e theming.

GUI for easy edit main menu, i find it full of stuff i don't use.

Possibility of choosing different software in the software wiki and then an option to install what we chose at one time, avoiding the one by one installation.

Getting better compositing, scale windows and desktops as well as tilling is still poor and useless.

Calculator, note taking and some useful widgets from E would be amazing.

I would also like to know what will happend with gtk3, and what about software, is there any list where we can see if someone is porting basic app to E (like music player, calculator, video player, irc, chat and mail client)?

Notifications, they still looks old, and better integration with social stuff.

I know that everything that i listed doesn't depend on Jeff, but i really wait the day that E will be a DE with no other kind of stuff. That day i will use bodhi as my main distro, for the moment i keep it on a testing partition.

Víctor
Víctor [esmirlin]

Los escritores hacen la literatura nacional y los traductores la literatura universal.

Writers make literature national; translators make it international.
(José Saramago)

#16 syg00

syg00

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

Roll in the GMA500 support with the new kernel ?
Latest kernel would be appreciated I guess - hopefully by 3.2 it will be in mainline rather than still in staging. Makes a difference to users unfortunate enough to have to put up with this junk hardware.

#17 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

hiding system reserve Not going to happen. This is configuring default settings that hide things from the end user. If someone really wants to not see that partition they can make the tweaks you suggest. There is no reason to force this on users by default. Seeing it does not hurt anything.

This would work ONLY if partitions is called "System Reserved", not for others. If partition is called "New Backup" "System_Reserved" "Hidden files" "My xxx stash" this will not work, this will work only, and only, for Windows created partition.
Rules for partitions which comes by default with DELL, ASUS, LENOVA... is already included, but the one which was thought by Windows is not...genius
ALSO this would HIDE from PCmanFM and main menu, but NOT from /media/ In that folder it would by still accessible, and would by able to add using Bookmark if needed (but I doubt it would by).
But I guess simple users will REALLY need a windows created partition of 100MB, which they can not edit, unless want to say good bye windows.

elementary menu entries I really don't see these entries hurting anything. I don't recall why they where hidden by default in past releases, but I don't think this will be the case in 1.3.0

Hurting? Well no. But should it not by minimal? Less crap in menu, more minimalism, that how I think about minimalism. There are no simple program to edit all entries of enlightenment menu fast. Of-course you can edit with text-editor or by clicking on app...edit..unselecting to show in menu, on each and every entry in application menu. Lots of users already searched simple way to edit menu entries, there is simple, but not quite fast if you want to edit multiple applications. Most users (not my) end up in dead end when want to hide or alter program which start in full-screen. This should by reconsidered, at least by E dev, for creating app, with MASS entry edit, not single.

default focus settings This is the E17 default, I like it. Its really better once you get used to it.

There were really numerous post in request forum, how to change that settings, mostly by new users Lots of users do not like this default settings, which is maybe seen only in this distribution, do not know about percentage which settings is liked more. But from your reply this sounded like not like users choice but jeff's choice, game over.

For other replies I agree, useful, but not for everyone.

PS: did not want to by rude, lots of irony included in reply

Edit: LXDM then maybe at-least language bar should by removed from LXDM (login screen, bottom) more minilaism, if we can't get language bar in systray then... It can by altered just simply by changing number from 1 to 0, can't remember know where.

#18 Justin_RO

Justin_RO

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNew Zeeland

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

how about window focus enabled on clik, like any other distro.. dont know how it is in 1.2.1 i am waiting for 1.3 to upgrade :)

#19 STRUPPI

STRUPPI

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

This would work ONLY if partitions is called "System Reserved", not for others. If partition is called "New Backup" "System_Reserved" "Hidden files" "My xxx stash" this will not work, this will work only, and only, for Windows created partition.

NOPE...
Worked with ather partitions too, must set only in the right range...I have this so, to much device with to much partitons....
Hidden a ntfs-partition in the ntfs area..hidden a xfs-partition in the xfs area..this for extX-partition too and so on.

pcmanfm-mod Not going to happen. This project is a full split from the PCManFM first draft code. The version we use is from the second draft of PCManFM code and it does a few things better than the older version (or the mod version) does.

YEP! Right so..

other file manager No other light file manager at this time exists with all the features we need and has the maturity of PCManFM.

YEP" This too..

I do not understand the hipe about Bodhi 1.3.X.....for me is first interessing, a super stable Bodhi 1.2 with a super stable E17.
Bodhi 1.2 is nearly OK, but for E17..there is much to do.

And I like it not to change every 4 to 6 mouth my OS....is this running fine, I must change the Version and have again faults....this is not needet.

In moment is Bodhi 1.2 fantastic, please make not the same errors, like Mint, or Ubuntu..

#20 ilivefortheone

ilivefortheone

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

I too would like to see pulse audio working out of the box, as it is now I have 2 volume controls one for the speakers and one for bluetooth headset.

I concur with those how want one click focus instead of mouse over.

The inclusion of the slideshow desktop gadget by default would be nice.

Thanks for listening to suggestions, it shows you care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users