Photo

Bluetooth adapter not found/detected/recognized!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 +Fold

+Fold

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

Hi Guys :) I need some help with my bluetooth adapter, I have been searching the web on how I could make it work but I just got no particular answer, I tried lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge Alternate
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 41)
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller (rev 40)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Link Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS880 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4200]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

and also lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1bcf:05ca Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b1d8 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

then hcitool dev:

root@*:/home/*# hcitool dev
Devices:

wireless was detected but haven't tested if it finds networks, bluetooth would be a waste if I dont use it,(I use it quite often!) BTW bluetooth driver I was using in Windows was Bluetooth Atheros 6.15.0322.0301

ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED :D

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 anlem

anlem

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

Have you installed any bluetooth related packages like Blueman from synaptic?
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 520
Asus Eeepc 701 4G
HP Compaq nc8000

#3 Guest_Meji_D_*

Guest_Meji_D_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

Is this a "built in" adapter or a BT dongle?
If it's "built in", is the BT radio turned on and/or is it enabled in bios? Most laptops have a "Flight Mode" switch or Fn + F-key combo that will turn on/off the BT (and WiFi) radios.
e.g. on the laptop I'm using right now; Fn + F12 will turn off power to the internal BT adapter. In this state it is not detected at all. There may also be an option in bios to enable/disable BT, again if this is disabled the adapter won't be detected.

#4 +Fold

+Fold

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

@Anlem
I have installed blueman and bluez complete packages but my hardware is the real problem...I cant find a way on how it was disabled... :unsure:

@Meji_d
this is a built in bluetooth adapter,..when I try to press the F+key combo for the wireless hardware,it only turns off wifi adapter but BT adapter was like nothing was there,..does this need a driver like that proprietary stuff for ATI that needs to be installed just for the device to function itself, :huh: ..

#5 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

I have given up to make my Bluetooth working on Bodhi.
It is turned on, it works on Windows, it works on OpenSuse BUT
on Bodhi it does not. Installed ALL packages from Synaptic which had word Bluetooth (including Bluemon and bluez) it was still not working. Now using 1.3.0 not going to trash system with unneeded packages.

#6 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Have you actually loaded the bluetooth module and placed the gadget on a Shelf?
The only package you should need to install is bluez.

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#7 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Have you actually loaded the bluetooth module and placed the gadget on a Shelf?
The only package you should need to install is bluez.

I can swear, that at previous versions my Blue-tooth was not working.
But with 1.3.0 and Bluez packet it works.
Only thinks I needed was that package, module (used to place it on desktop, now placed it into shelf) hardware switch and software switch to be on.
How to on/off it in Linux/Bodhi? I have hardware switch, but it is for wireless AND Bluetooth at same time.
On windows I can simply disable it from systray.

Not going to use it, so no big deal :D but still good to know that it works.

#8 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

With the bt gadget you can set the state of the interface to powered/not powered.

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#9 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

With the bt gadget you can set the state of the interface to powered/not powered.

Care to show how?
I have not seen any configuration on Bluetooth module...
Screenshot would by nice :)
My gadget is grey colored... should it not by blue?

#10 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

I'll look into this when I get home from work. :)

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#11 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4677 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

//
My gadget is grey colored... should it not by blue?

Is your hardware detected? Most of the time you need to reboot.

Left click on the gadget will show options once the hardware is recognized.

Charles.

#12 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

I think it is detected correct:
Posted Image
1. But when I scan, I only see MAC of Phone, not name...
2. I successfully pair devices, but how to sent files from laptop to phone? (Did not tried to send from phone to laptop). Do I need other software? Like ~Bluemon or how it was called...

If Blue-tooth is disabled in Windows (software way) then it is NOT possible to turn it on back on Bodhi. I get an error, same as I did not have bluez.
If it is on "on Bodhi", then I can on/off it instantly, on Windows it takes some time.

So main question, what software I need to send/receive files?
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeBluetooth
or
http://www.bluesoleil.com/
or
blueman
or...?
What do you suggest?

#13 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

BlueMan works quite good, but you will need to alter default settings in order to receive files:
Posted Image

Too bad it already crashed E17 once.

#14 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Let's continue my monologue. Things you need to have and do:
1. Enabled blue-tooth in hardware and if there is in software.
2. Packages from synaptic: bluez and blueman.
3. Loaded blue-tooth module (you do not need to place it somewhere, just load it)
4. Start application, from Main menu->Applications->Preferences->Blue-tooth manager.

EXTRA: it is easer to pair devices from phone not laptpop. If device is not phone and does not have settings, then pair it from bluetooth module.

PS: already crashed my system twice. And once it still was working, but nothing answered to any clicks.
PSS: blueman works, but for some reason I do not like it

#15 +Fold

+Fold

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

I still don't think Bluetooth is not working quite well in bodhi,..my built in adapter just wont turn on...BUT I recently found a BLUETOOTH TOGGLE in the KEYS setup in the INPUT section of the system settings that needs to be assigned,..the only problem is it has no action parameters from the CLI...I wonder if there is a fix to this :unsure: ,..How can I make it WORK?!..Bluez keep telling me there is no adapter!,NO DAEMON..Oh,Come ON!,.. its in my system!! :( ,.bluetooth can't just sit inside my system not working,..how can I turn it ON?!, there must be a WAY!... But HOW?!!! :huh: If someone has a great IDEA on how to fix this... I will truly appreciate your good work man!! :D

#16 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4677 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Saw this in your lspci:
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

It is possible that this is on a combo-card that has a bluetooth function as well. Then it is most probably a AR3310 chipset.
Maybe this is of help. AFAIK you need to have a driver to make it work.

Charles.

#17 +Fold

+Fold

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

thanks for the help Charles, ;) I'll try to test that if it is the real thing

the listed devices in the lspci are the ones that are PRESENT in the system...but you know whats missing?,.. the bluetooth built in adapter... and I am looking through google for the drivers on how it can be found,.. In windows it detects the device if it doesnt work or not in the device manager...

notification is not working also...

and there is also another problem, the battery widget dont work too,after I configure, there is still N/A while using battery...HMMMMMMM!!!.. :huh:

#18 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

I think charles was suggesting that your wireless whatsit is the same device that powers your bluetooth, so it wouldnt appear in lspci as a seperate device, if that is indeed the case :)

On the other issues have you tried
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#19 +Fold

+Fold

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

On the other issues have you tried
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I always use those commands everytime I get connected to the internet :D

and others suggest that I should install the driver for my bluetooth like what Charles said but I dont know how?, :huh: ...

what if I crash my system?,.. I do every installation from the net over and over again,.. :(

that is what I'm avoiding right now,. :mellow:

#20 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Ok...so do you have a seperate home partition? If not back up important stuff if you are worried. Though installing a driver/module shouldnt trash your system. I dont know what driver you need to make bluetooth work if infact you have an integrated wifi/bluetooth card. I would normalyy do some googling and find out, but i am at the inlaws and dont have my machine with me. So at this point i have to rehash that old saying..google is your friend, along with the bodhi crew who will try thier best to see you through your hardware difficulties :)

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users