Only terminal access [SOLVED]

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 learner

learner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

After login I get complete terminal access but no graphic mode...

How to get graphic access.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Did you do anything specific before this happened? Would be good to know what in that case.
And have you been able to log in to the GUI Environment before?

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#3 learner

learner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Thank you for the prompt reply

I did sudo apt-get update.. :huh: and a reboot

yes I was able to log into GUI mode before

#4 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Only sudo apt-get update? Because that won't change a thing on your PC other than updating the package lists (without installing anything).

You could try running
enlightenment_start
when you've logged in to the console. If that doesn't work, try this:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo shutdown -r now

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#5 learner

learner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

I tried installing the kernel{I always keep a backup saves me the trouble of re-installing} I get the following error

Zenity:4615 : Gtk-WARNING ** : cannot open display
Zenity:4616 : Gtk-WARNING ** : cannot open display

#6 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

What error does enlightenment_start give you?

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#7 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

I tried installing the kernel{I always keep a backup saves me the trouble of re-installing} I get the following error

Zenity:4615 : Gtk-WARNING ** : cannot open display
Zenity:4616 : Gtk-WARNING ** : cannot open display

A kernel update does not as far as I know use Zenity. So I can only assume you are trying to do a kernel update using a bod file and still have no gui, so are doing so from a command prompt and not in a windowed environment.

As you can tell this will not work as bod files use Zenity and Zenity is a GTK GUI program.

If you need to do this kernel update and must use the bod file (ie your system is offline or can not connect) then it is still possible. But to do so involves executing the bod file as:

./name_of_file.bod --noexec --keep

and then cding into the directory created and running:

sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --no-download --ignore-missing install name_of_package_to_install

Where of course name_of_file.bod and name_of_package_to_install is the name of the bod file you are using and the name of the linux kernel you are trying to install, respectively.

If it is possible tho I advise installing the kernel update online.

What error does enlightenment_start give you?

And I second this please give us as much details as you can about any and all error messages you get.

You could try running

enlightenment_start
when you've logged in to the console. If that doesn't work, try this:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo shutdown -r now

Have you did the update upgrade command above? If your machine is offline please say so and let us know if you can not do the said update. Which version of Bodhi is it?

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#8 learner

learner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

will do the ordered (enlightenment_start) and report back,Including all the info I can get.

But I assume (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo shutdown -r now) will not be of much help..

Will get back Asap.

#9 learner

learner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

enlightenment_start :

list a series of functions which i cannot reproduce here :( but the last line reads " Cannot initialize Ecore_X!"

My kernel linux-image-3.0.0-12-generic.bod(also my back copy)
and upgraded with servicepack3.bod

Is my boot-up grub entry choice suppose to read as

Ubuntu , Linux 3.0.0-12
Ubuntu , Linux 3.0.0-12(Recovery mode)

#10 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

try just
xinit
for now
Bad Wolf

#11 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Maybe you could try this http://www.howtoforg...n_ubuntu_mirror and set up a local apt mirror so that you can pull updates/upgrades from there.

One thing you could try (but I doubt it will help) is:
rm -rf ~/.e && sudo shutdown -r now

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#12 learner

learner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Thank you all timmy elw3 ylee for your motivated support , here is what I've done I had a copy of sakis3g in my home folder.

Connected to the Internet and typed xinit as a trial and it successfully helped me get the GUI interface. now I'm facing a new dilemma my best resolution is 800 x 600 nothing much is there a way to do something about it, prior resol available was 1024 x .... at 60 hz I am yet to download any nvidia drivers for this as bodhi works fine without nvidia (my graphic card is nvidia 6600 series)

Should I mark this thread as solved or give a detailed work around for all the tried and failed efforts.

#13 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

thinking about enlightenment_start ... hell timmy what are you saying ?
this command must used combined with xinit:
xinit enlightenment_start
:D

so now learner i did not understand how far you got now ? does e run already ? or is it just the xinit terminal ? also could you check
xrandr
to see where te resulution cames from
Bad Wolf

#14 learner

learner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

I guess I should also thank sakis3g I have e running

~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
800x600 60.0* 56.0
640x480 60.0
400x300 60.0 56.0
320x240 60.0

as you can see nothing beyond 800 x 600 I'm lost here have downloaded nvidia from synaptic now but not much help the recommended default drivers are active is what it shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users