no conky.rc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 oracle21

oracle21

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

i just install conky-full but when i try to install a conky minimalist from bodhi site but when i run it am getting the default conky screen and not the one i installed.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 STRUPPI

STRUPPI

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

but when i run it am getting the default conky screen and not the one i installed
You must call the Conky with your script name.
Only 'conky' let run the standard conky script.

#3 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

i just install conky-full but when i try to install a conky minimalist from bodhi site but when i run it am getting the default conky screen and not the one i installed.

It does not matter if you installed conky-full or other conky, default conky config is quite small, black rectangle with some information.
If you want to have nicer conky, you must read CONKIES documentation, because each can by configured differently, and so, they must by started differently. Some users tend to run them from their home directory, other from other dirs, some requires pictures, and path to pictures must by correct.
I have written tutorial some time ago, and merged it with other one, it is HERE

#4 oracle21

oracle21

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

It does not matter if you installed conky-full or other conky, default conky config is quite small, black rectangle with some information.
If you want to have nicer conky, you must read CONKIES documentation, because each can by configured differently, and so, they must by started differently. Some users tend to run them from their home directory, other from other dirs, some requires pictures, and path to pictures must by correct.
I have written tutorial some time ago, and merged it with other one, it is HERE

I did conky (script) and still getting the default, on any other distro I have use before it work fine so I know what should be there just not the same in budhi

#5 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

I did conky (script) and still getting the default, on any other distro I have use before it work fine so I know what should be there just not the same in budhi

I have checked these conkies more then double times on different machines, they all work.
Have you read tutorial in the link and did everything as it was said?
Did you placed really in correct directory (if no it won't work) and while being root (if not you haven't copied it at all)?

Are you really launching conky from script which is included in archive and not straight from terminal by typing only conky?

#6 STRUPPI

STRUPPI

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Well, this is not possible...I have 'worked/used' over 2 years with conky, on many different Linux-OSs and was on all OSs the same: I must call exactly the script name to let run the selected conky-script.

#7 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4558 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Are you sure you used the right name for it? It must be: .conkyrc (a dot in front, no dots elsewhere) and should be in your /home/<user> folder, as a hidden file of course.

Charles.

#8 oracle21

oracle21

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Are you sure you used the right name for it? It must be: .conkyrc (a dot in front, no dots elsewhere) and should be in your /home/<user> folder, as a hidden file of course.

Charles.

i take the script and cp it to .conkyrc then am able to get it to load but it turns my whole desktop black. this is my conky script

total_run_times 0
background no
cpu_avg_samples 1
net_avg_samples 2
double_buffer yes
no_buffers yes
text_buffer_size 1024
out_to_console no
update_interval 1
alignment tr
minimum_size 240
maximum_width 240
gap_x 00
gap_y 00
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
own_window yes
own_window_argb_visual true
own_window_argb_value
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
use_xft yes
xftalpha .1
override_utf8_locale yes
uppercase no
use_spacer right
pad_percents 2

TEXT
${image /etc/conky/bodhi.png -p 90,25}
${font Visitor TT2 BRK :size=12}
${voffset 27}${offset 97}${color 97cf0f}${cpu cpu1}$color
${voffset -20}${offset 203}${color 97cf0f}${cpu cpu2}$color
${font Visitor TT2 BRK :size=7}
${voffset -33}${offset 137}${freq_g} GHz
${font Visitor TT2 BRK :size=9}
${voffset -60}${offset 152}${color FFDB00}${hwmon temp 1}$color
${voffset 45}${offset 143} ${color 0096FF} $memperc $color

#9 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

i take the script and cp it to .conkyrc then am able to get it to load but it turns my whole desktop black. this is my conky script

From this line I now that you have completely ignored my first link, in which was everything explained (where to put, what to run, and how to make transparent conky), one is helping, other is ignoring help which was provided and still asking, you are on your own now :D

#10 oracle21

oracle21

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

From this line I now that you have completely ignored my first link, in which was everything explained (where to put, what to run, and how to make transparent conky), one is helping, other is ignoring help which was provided and still asking, you are on your own now :D

i didn't ignore it i miss one line which i add and now it good just make everything transparent even though i put transparent to no, but i will figure it out. Thanks :)

#11 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Moving to Request Support.

#12 STRUPPI

STRUPPI

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

This was my conky-calling in Autostart [Mint-Linux-Gnome]:
.sc.sh [alias for start conky .sh]:
#!/bin/bash
# autostart conky
# Usage: /home/struppi/conky/.sc.sh
sleep 16 &&	# 0 good for Xfce - use 20 to 30 for Gnome
conky -c /home/struppi/conky/conkymain &
#sleep 18 &&
#conky -c ~/conky/conkymain2 &
#sleep 20 &&
#conky -c ~/conky/conkyforecast

for conky testing I have a Start-Stop-Conky-script.
.ssc.sh:
#!/bin/sh
# click to start, click to stop
# Usage: /home/struppi/conky/.ssc.sh

if `pidof conky > 1`
  then exec killall conky
    else
    sleep 0 && 
    conky -c /home/struppi/conky/conkymain & 
#   conky -c conkyforecast
  fi
exit 0