Bodhi Linux Forums: [SOLVED] Help! Mouse moves but won't click! - Bodhi Linux Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[SOLVED] Help! Mouse moves but won't click!

#1 User is offline   Feeby 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Loving Bodhi but it would certainly be even more wonderful if I could fix this one little tiny thing that makes my laptop virtually useless.

Machine: HP Compaq 2510p notebook
Tested with: built in mouse and usb mouse, problem persists in both

So, I start it up and everything goes fine for maybe the first five minutes of whatever I'm doing (right now it's just trying to get to know Bodhi) and then all of a sudden I can't click anything. I want to close a window, move the cursor over the X, click click- nada. I right right click, try to kill the window but then I can't confirm because I can't click 'yes.' I can't even power down normally because I can't click 'yes' when the duologue appears. Very annoying.

Menus seem to work fine up to a point as far as I can tell. I can open the terminal but once the mouse problem starts I can't click inside to type anything really. It's like a time bomb, if I want to do anything in there I have just a few minutes before the mouse says- mwahahaha. No.

Now, I will mention that before installing Bodhi I had installed Ubuntu (it was my first and only Linux that I have dual booted to my desktop). The mouse started having this same problem after I updated to 12- but I figured that was fine because Ubuntu was too heavy for my little laptop. I figured the problem that appeared with the update would go away with the change to a different OS. Alas, that is not the case. Knowing the Bodhi is built on top of Ubuntu I'm guessing it's a shared issue.

My question: What can I do about it to keep this machine from being rendered useless?

#2 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

ALSO- I can drag windows. :) If that helps.

#3 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

This is a uh - new one. Have you changed any of the default window settings? To try and pin it down to a hardware issue VS configuration issue (I'm guessing it is the latter) can you please default the profile you are using?

To do this go to Settings->All->Settings->Profiles and click reset.

~Jeff

#4 User is offline   Elw3 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

nope jeff i can easily reproduce that on any linux device.
the cause is simple, normally each button press signal is on some way followed by an button lift signal, on your system however that signal got lost at some point leaving your with an not working button.
normally i would expect a second button press would bring it back to normal but well not in your case it seems :unsure: (or do you have more devices like touchscreens or wacom tablets?)
sorry i cant imagine a solution right now...
Bad Wolf

#5 User is offline   Rohit 

• LocationDelhi, India

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

try your built in mouse without attaching normal usb mouse.

It has happened to me in both bodhi & xp. After removing usb mouse , built in mouse worked properly.

But it sorted out itself, I don know how .... Update your OS..... clean them .

In bios, apply default settings...try another usb mouse or change its port..

#6 User is offline   Elw3 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

okey so to try to bring things forward:
you said it worked before, so i expect a downgrade would be a good idea, sadly the only thing you can downgrade without hassle is the kernel. you can try that from synaptic and easily reboot into the new(old) kernel, (linux-image*number*-generic is the package name, go for an 2.x version) the other simplier methot would be to just download and an older bodhi release.
i however have a slight feeling that wont help either, (hard to explain where that comes from)

also you can try this command,
xdotool mouseup 1
while it happen, _might_ work
Bad Wolf

#7 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Okay, in order:

Jeff: No changes. Desktop profile. I can't move around long enough to play with anything.

Elw3: I have a Wacom and an Android tablet (unfortunately the touch part of the touch screen is broken, hence why I'm trying to revive this old laptop with some Linux).

Rohit: Nope, I attached the built in mouse because I figured the laptop is old- maybe I screwed up the track pad but then it persisted with the hardware mouse. Never had the problem in the Xp that was on it before. I did update my OS- first thing done. :) Defaults already in place and I've already tried my wireless mouse, cord mouse, both usb ports and all ports are clean.

Elw3: I'll try the command.

----
Extra info: Like I said, I can click on a window to bring it into focus, move it around, etc. I just can't make any duologue selections, hit the X or square. Nada.

#8 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostElw3, on 08 May 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

okey so to try to bring things forward:
you said it worked before, so i expect a downgrade would be a good idea, sadly the only thing you can downgrade without hassle is the kernel. you can try that from synaptic and easily reboot into the new(old) kernel, (linux-image*number*-generic is the package name, go for an 2.x version) the other simplier methot would be to just download and an older bodhi release.
i however have a slight feeling that wont help either, (hard to explain where that comes from)

also you can try this command,
xdotool mouseup 1
while it happen, _might_ work

I just entered that, the terminal gave no feedback so I imagine I just wait and see if it happens again?

#9 User is offline   Elw3 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostFeeby, on 08 May 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

I just entered that, the terminal gave no feedback so I imagine I just wait and see if it happens again?

well no that is supposed to be entered when the error happens to revert it

I have a Wacom and an Android tablet (unfortunately the touch part of the touch screen is broken, hence why I'm trying to revive this old laptop with some Linux).
which hardware are we talking of now ? has that laptop a build in wacom screen or so ? if so i _see_ the error there.
Bad Wolf

#10 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostElw3, on 08 May 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

well no that is supposed to be entered when the error happens to revert it

which hardware are we talking of now ? has that laptop a build in wacom screen or so ? if so i _see_ the error there.

Lol, no I have a wacom tablet- a separate device entirely not currently hooked up to this laptop.

Via the terminal thing: Last time it wouldn't let me select inside the terminal to enter text so that might be difficult.

#11 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Perhaps I just need to reinstall Bodhi? Another way I can describe this the more I look at the problem. It's like it's freezing- because I can't type, it seems anything that's loading or downloading stops, etc. But the mouse moves and I can move windows and whatnot. What do you think?

#12 User is offline   STRUPPI 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Please test first the missing function with the Bodhi-Live-OS.

I have only a WACOM-Tablet as mouse and no problem with WACOM in Bodhi.

#13 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostSTRUPPI, on 08 May 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Please test first the missing function with the Bodhi-Live-OS.

I have only a WACOM-Tablet as mouse and no problem with WACOM in Bodhi.

Can you be more specific, STRIPPI? I don't understand what you mean by love OS, I have it fully installed.

I love my Wacom but I'd rather not have to rely on it as a mouse- that defeats the purpose of just taking my laptop and going.

#14 User is offline   Charles@Bodhi 

• Old Faithful
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hi, you can get a terminal in the following way:
Hit WIN + Space and the Everything window will pop up.
Now type lxt and LXTerminal will be highlighted. Hit ENTER and you will have the terminal open on your screen and you can execute commands.

Charles.

PS. Everything is a wonderfull app.
Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 8.1, Bodhi 2.4.0-64
EEE Box202, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, WIN-XP SP3, Bodhi 2.3.0-32_non-pae
EEE PC 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Tripleboot Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae: E17-stable, E17-testing, E18-testing

How to mark a thread as [SOLVED]
The Bodhi Guide to Enlightenment

#15 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

I just tried reinstalled from CD and as soon as it all loads up the problem happens again. How far did I get? I clicked about theme and now I can't X out the window. This blows.

#16 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Also when I click to close a window the cursor turned into a + with arrows and moves the window around. A little white box with numbers in it appears as I hold the mouse button down and move it, the numbers change with the movement.

#17 User is offline   Feeby 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostCharles@Bodhi, on 08 May 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Hi, you can get a terminal in the following way:
Hit WIN + Space and the Everything window will pop up.
Now type lxt and LXTerminal will be highlighted. Hit ENTER and you will have the terminal open on your screen and you can execute commands.

Charles.

PS. Everything is a wonderfull app.

ZOMG I LOVE YOU! Agreed. Everything is kick ass!

Okay, now we have progress. Elw3, I entered the command line and poof! No more. :D It worked! It worked! I'm freaking ecstatic. :D

#18 User is offline   Elw3 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

so it had some use after all. cool, so i was right from the beginning B)
key so a script that would cure you from the symtomps (not the cause clearly) would be like:
#!/bin/bash
while true; do
 sleep 1
 xdotool mouseup 1
done
that however will disable drag and drop funktions.
or you could also made a keybinding for it, but i expect this to become annoying.

the perfect cure (aside from resolving the actual cause) would be to assign the left mouse button with a combo of down/off but im afraid i dont know how

oh and just to be clear on that wacom thing, my laptop has an inbuild wacom area under the screen, hence the suggesting.
Bad Wolf

#19 User is offline   Rohit 

• LocationDelhi, India

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Struppi is telling about Live CD not any Love CD.

atleast something is ok in life now !!!

#20 User is offline   STRUPPI 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Puh.....shock....'Struppi is telling about Live CD not any Love CD.'

I had written right 'Bodhi-Live-OS'.

Maybe as CD, or as Stick [like Unetbootin]..

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users