Old laptop runs Bodhi like a champ

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brackit

brackit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

I just wanted to congratulate the Bodhi team on creating a lightweight Linux distribution that is ACTUALLY both lightweight and functional. I have an old laptop with a Pentium III and 256MB of memory that I've been trying to get ready to give away, and I've gone through a dozen distros that are either not actually as lightweight as they claim (many are too heavy to make it through the install process), or are not usable for the average person.

The Bodhi installation was clean and easy, it succeeded the first time, and the laptop runs better than I've ever seen it run. You've found the sweet spot of an OS that can install and run on ancient hardware AND be completely usable by average humans. The number of times I pulled up a text editor or terminal between inserting the install disk and surfing the web on my wireless network: 0!!!

Anyway, great work, I hope whoever has contributed to this distribution is really proud of it, because it's fantastic.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Bodhi Buddy

Bodhi Buddy

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLouisiana, USA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

Great to hear brackit and welcome to the forum! Heck, you may even decide to hang on to that laptop and use it for yourself instead of giving it away. I agree, Bodhi is amazing. Trying to patiently wait for 2.0.0, but its not easy.
A Few Of My Toys!

Bodhi
SolusOS
Crunchbang

#3 thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:58 AM

Hey I'm new here as well! I just picked up an old IBM A20M with a pentium III (550 mhz) 128 megs of ram, soon to be upgraded to 512 with this http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4066wt_1031 :D I am trying to find a good distro to run on this for light browsing and emulating old games. I hope this works as a WIFI adapter as I just ordered it... http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_2488wt_1265 P.S. is there anyway to upgrade the IDE hdd to a sata hdd?

#4 Rohit

Rohit

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • LocationDelhi, India

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hey I'm new here as well! I just picked up an old IBM A20M with a pentium III (550 mhz) 128 megs of ram, soon to be upgraded to 512 with this http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4066wt_1031 :D I am trying to find a good distro to run on this for light browsing and emulating old games. I hope this works as a WIFI adapter as I just ordered it... http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_2488wt_1265 P.S. is there anyway to upgrade the IDE hdd to a sata hdd?

It is costly. In India, pc133 sdram single 512 MB comes around for 8 USD with 2 year warranty.

I am looking for 1 GB RAM but not getting it.

http://www.simmtroni...id=96&Itemid=57

#5 thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yeah are any aspects of my setup overclockable? And sorry to get so off topic. Is Bodhis UI similar and user friendly like Ubuntu? Regardless can't wait for parts to get here so I can try his out.

#6 oqbqbodpdpo

oqbqbodpdpo

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

Is Bodhis UI similar and user friendly like Ubuntu?

I'd be inclined to say that Bodhi's E17 desktop interface is 'as' user friendly 'as' Ubuntu rather than 'like' Ubuntu. Personally I'm lovin' it. Started playing with it a bit over a week ago and already find myself trying to use Bodhi inputs by default on other OS's.

#7 Rohit

Rohit

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • LocationDelhi, India

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

Yeah are any aspects of my setup overclockable? And sorry to get so off topic. Is Bodhis UI similar and user friendly like Ubuntu? Regardless can't wait for parts to get here so I can try his out.

I can´t say but with 550 processor , you need more RAM than 512 ..

use ram either pc100 or pc 133 or any similar type..

#8 thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

The OS doesn't matter, I'll run XP to Linux, whichever works with my adapter, I wonder if there are any N64 emulators this can run with upgraded RAM? But when I got this computer, it was running 2000 but came with 98 preloaded I think...

#9 Rohit

Rohit

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • LocationDelhi, India

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

for 98, 2000 you would need all drivers.
´
I use P3 . 98 can´t work properly with usb card ..

#10 thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yeah as I've stated it won't be running 98 or 2000. Can you over lock what I presume my processor to be as the p3 550? Anyway my adapter will be here when I get home from school so ill report what works on it.

#11 thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

Dang Bodhi doesn't want to get past the setup on my laptop :/ Hopefully when RAM gets here it'll work...

#12 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Well, 128 MB is enough to have it running, but if you want to install with that amount of RAM you need to create a Swap partitition on your HDD in advance. 1GB of swap should be big enough.

Charles.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#13 Tara

Tara

Moderately Bemused

• Moderators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Market is different in different areas, I suppose... in this part of the world, something like PC100 or PC133 is near impossible to lay your hands on, and for any sizeable amount of memory in that type, it's cheaper to buy a new computer than to buy the memory upgrade >.>

#14 thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

Well I got 512 megs of ram for $16 and it's 144 pin so it'll work. I got it to boot i think once but it's really being a bitch to install! I'll report back if the RAM upgrade helps.

#15 thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

Also charles how do I create a swap partition? I have a 12gb partition for XP that I have installed and 5 gigs for and solid distro that I can get to install in that partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users