Bodhi Linux Forums: Marlin File Manager - Bodhi Linux Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marlin File Manager GTK3 File manager for Bodhi 2?

#1 User is offline   Duma 

• Artist
  • Group: Members
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Have you heard about Marlin?
A new GTK3 file manager.
I don't know if it could be now the default Bodhi File Manager, but has some interesting features (color label, nice thumbnails, nice permission management, column view, dropbox integration, ... ).
At the moment is on development, but I've downloaded on my Precise Pangoline Partition and I've found usuable...
Two important features that PCManFM hasn't and Marlin has is the network managment integrated: you can browse shared folder easly (I haven't find a way to do this with PCManFM) AND possibility to do a drag 'n' drop symlink

Here's a screenshot of 3 different layouts.
Posted Image
I don't know how to know its resources usage.
Anyway, there's a PPA for give it a try.

Maybe we should think about it because it's a GTK3 apps... Should we prefer GTK3 apps instead GTK2?
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostDuma, on 19 June 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

network managment integrated

PCManFM does network shares if you install/configure samba - if Marlin does this automatically it sounds like it is automatically pulling in samba with it - which is not something we want in a default install.

Maybe we should think about it because it's a GTK3 apps... Should we prefer GTK3 apps instead GTK2?

Why are GTK3 apps better than gtk2?

~Jeff

#3 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Also - just a healthy reminder that PPAs should not be used on Bodhi - please request the software get added to our own repos instead. I plan to add marlin packages once there are builds that work for precise posted.

~Jeff

#4 User is offline   Duma 

• Artist

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Mine is not a software request, it's only a discussion about a new software and a proposal if could be better or worse than PCManFM ;) ... in any case I haven't installed on Bodhi because I try to keep my Bodhi clean :P

How can I integrate on PCManFM SAMBA? Time ago there was fusesmb that allow to mount network folders, but on my system now doesn't work. If there are other ways, I'm interested.

if Marlin does this automatically it sounds like it is automatically pulling in samba with it - which is not something we want in a default install.

I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure Marlin doesn't install by default SAMBA, because when I've installed on Ubuntu Precise it installed me not more 4MB of packages.

Why are GTK3 apps better than gtk2?

Talking about GTK3 apps, I've wrote "should we" because I suppose we have, if we want, to discuss: if Bodhi is a Semi-Rolling release and we try to have the most possible upgraded packages, I think we have to slowly go to gtk3 apps... go to the new, not stay to old...
I'm not so happy, personally, because I've spend a lots of time building GTK2 themes and learning pygtk and pyglade with gtk2 libraries and I hope I won't have to re-learn again, but at the moment Bodhi 2.0 has 3 different graphics libraries: gtk2, efl and gtk3... I suppose one of our goal is to slowly go to gtk3 apps. IMHO, of course.

#5 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

It more depends on what the applications are written in. As far as I know PCManFM (and all LXDE tools) are staying with GTK2 - unless a lighter/better file browser than PCManFM is released I see no reason to change.

As far as samba goes - I'd suggest hitting the wiki or opening a new thread. I personally don't use samba as my house hold is unix systems only :)

With regards to marlin not pulling in samba on Ubuntu - I can't say for sure but I think they ship with samba stuff loaded by default.

~Jeff

#6 User is offline   Tara 

• Moderately Bemused
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostJeff, on 19 June 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

PCManFM does network shares if you install/configure samba - if Marlin does this automatically it sounds like it is automatically pulling in samba with it - which is not something we want in a default install.

Thought it's worth mentioning... because PCManFM uses FUSE, it supports everything that FUSE does.... you can mount remote Samba shares in PCManFM without installing Samba, and it has full read/write support as well as authentication. Just type smb://server/share in the location bar in PCManFM and it will prompt you for the user/pass if there is one, and will mount it. You can also set it as a bookmark as you would with any other folder. I use it on a daily basis on my laptop, and do not have Samba installed on that laptop.

#7 User is offline   Duma 

• Artist

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

[little off topic mixed to request support]

View PostTara, on 19 June 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Thought it's worth mentioning... because PCManFM uses FUSE, it supports everything that FUSE does.... you can mount remote Samba shares in PCManFM without installing Samba, and it has full read/write support as well as authentication. Just type smb://server/share in the location bar in PCManFM and it will prompt you for the user/pass if there is one, and will mount it. You can also set it as a bookmark as you would with any other folder. I use it on a daily basis on my laptop, and do not have Samba installed on that laptop.

This is my fault, I haven't known this PCMan feature before... it works also for me. :unsure:

[/little off topic mixed to request support]

It more depends on what the applications are written in. As far as I know PCManFM (and all LXDE tools) are staying with GTK2 - unless a lighter/better file browser than PCManFM is released I see no reason to change.

I'm talking about Marlin because I've the feel that could be a lighter/better file browser than PCManFM ;) . It seems Nautilus Elementary (used on Bodhi times ago), but I think is lighter than Nautilus Elementary.
GTK3 libraries could be another clue to think about changing, but is my opinion, I see.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users