I need help making a Bodhi boot CD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Casen

Casen

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:21 AM

If anyone could give me step by step instructions starting from the download of the file up until actually burning the DVD, I would be eternally in debt to you. :P Also, I did a quick search and didn't see a similar post, but if you know of one, don't hesitate to redirect me there. :) If you need any information regarding my system or specific steps I've taken already, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

If you have a modern computer the install instructions here walk you through creating a bootable USB -> http://wiki.bodhilin...on_instructions

~Jeff

#3 Casen

Casen

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

If you have a modern computer the install instructions here walk you through creating a bootable USB -> http://wiki.bodhilin...on_instructions

~Jeff

Firstly, thanks for your speedy response.

And I do have a modern computer; the problem is that I can't find my USB drive. :/ I have a 4.7 gig DVD-R that I've been trying to get to work. I really don't even know what I'm supposed to put on it though. I downloaded the file from the website and unzipped it with 7-zip. But now I'm stuck, b/c it won't let me just burn those files onto a disc.

#4 msanford

msanford

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:28 AM

And I do have a modern computer; the problem is that I can't find my USB drive. :/ I have a 4.7 gig DVD-R that I've been trying to get to work. I really don't even know what I'm supposed to put on it though. I downloaded the file from the website and unzipped it with 7-zip. But now I'm stuck, b/c it won't let me just burn those files onto a disc.

If you don't have a disc burner download one (I use Brasero) and then create a data disc. Select the .iso file then click burn. Everything works on it's own from there. The Ubuntu website has some nice step by step as well if you wanted to look there, it's under download.
I am a full Bodhi Linux convert, and I am proud to be.

My goal is to bring more people to Bodhi, and in turn learn how to help improve the OS as a whole.

I love the Bodhi community, you guys are great and very inspirational.

#5 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

What OS are you using to try to burn the DVD?

Also, a DVD is WAY overkill. The Bodhi disc image is < 500 MB - you could easily use a CD.

cheers
mark

#6 Guest_Meji_D_*

Guest_Meji_D_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

I downloaded the file from the website and unzipped it with 7-zip. But now I'm stuck, b/c it won't let me just burn those files onto a disc.

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm assuming you downloaded the bodhi 1.4 image... You do not want to "unzip" the "bodhi_1.4.0.iso" file. If you do, and just burn the files to disc, the disk will not have a boot track written to it, and subsequently won't boot.

Other info needed for a "step by step" walkthrough:

What OS are you using? (as ottermaton asks).
What CD/DVD burning software are you using?

General guidelines though:
Most (all) optical disc burning software have an option to "make a disk from image". The nomenclature may vary; "Burn iso", "Burn image", "Write existing data", "Write data", etc, you just have to find this option in the software you are using.
Choose this option. You will now most likely get a window asking; what file to burn, choose the bodhi_1.4.0.iso file, and then "burn" the CD/DVD.

(I know you already know this, but just to make sure; if you already burned the files you "unzipped", to the DVD; consider using that DVD as a coaster. You will need a new blank CD/DVD to burn the bodhi_1.4.0.iso file onto).

#7 Tara

Tara

Moderately Bemused

• Moderators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

It's also worth mentioning that the problem could be due to a bad download... Check the md5sum of the ISO you downloaded...

It *should* be this: 8a094d7928a4c053f68bba70c3042f99 bodhi_1.4.0.iso

You can download the MD5 file here: http://www.bodhilinux.com/download.php

Put both the MD5 file and the ISO in the same directory. Then, at a terminal, navigate to that directory and type "md5sum -c bodhi_1.4.0.iso.md5". It will tell you whether the download is a good download, and that *should* work on any unix-like operating system, including Mac OS/X.

On Windows, there are software packages out there you can download to do an MD5 sum, but I'm afraid it's been years since I used one and don't have any suggestions :(

#8 Casen

Casen

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for all the help. :P I just went and bought a cheap USB. I can already tell I'm going to like this community though!

Thanks again guys!

#9 msanford

msanford

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for all the help. :P I just went and bought a cheap USB. I can already tell I'm going to like this community though!

Thanks again guys!

They always help here, no matter how big or small the problem.
I am a full Bodhi Linux convert, and I am proud to be.

My goal is to bring more people to Bodhi, and in turn learn how to help improve the OS as a whole.

I love the Bodhi community, you guys are great and very inspirational.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users