Ubuntu Software Center

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to install the Ubuntu Software Center on Bodhi and have it work correctly? For example, if you typed "sudo apt-get install software-center" from the terminal would that work?

I'm getting a new laptop soon, and considering installing Bodhi as the primary OS. If this would work I would definitely use it.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 mikeN242

mikeN242

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • LocationWiltshire UK

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Worked for me :rolleyes:

under Preferences

#3 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

It should be noted that the Ubuntu repos are already enabled by default. As of now, it is the 10.04 repos, but when Bodhi 2.0 released (soon) it will be the 12.04. Also worth noting is that the Bodhi repos (obviously also enabled by default) have quite a few packages that are more current than those in the Ubuntu repos, often much more.

Personally, I don't see any reason to install their Software Center (but I may be missing something) especially when we have our own AppCenter.

cheers
mark

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot! :)

As for why I wanted to use it, it's just that the AppCenter is missing a lot of stuff I'd like to install (no offense, it's mostly great) and I'm not very comfortable with apt or Synaptic.

#5 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

... and I'm not very comfortable with apt or Synaptic.

Fair enough. Though if you can get the hang of using apt-get and associated you'll find it's both much faster and more powerful. This seems to be a pretty good tutorial.

cheers
mark

#6 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

If Ubuntu Software Center is a Bloath, you can try, in any case, Lubuntu software center.
http://www.webupd8.o...are-center.html
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#7 nymusicman

nymusicman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

The problem is while I'm sure all these other software centers kick USC's butt, USC is the only one with the proprietary software I want. For instance, (I can download this from the website I know) Steam, bibleanalyzer, humble bundle games, etc...

I have got USC working in Bodhi, the problem I'm having is with these apps. I click Buy, it processes the payment (yes even for the free stuff like steam and bibleanalyzer it goes through these motions) and Ubuntu sends me the email thanking me but nothing else happens. Maybe there is a dependence missing somewhere, I don't know.

#8 nymusicman

nymusicman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

The problem is while I'm sure all these other software centers kick USC's butt, USC is the only one with the proprietary software I want. For instance, (I can download this from the website I know) Steam, bibleanalyzer, humble bundle games, etc...

I have got USC working in Bodhi, the problem I'm having is with these apps. I click Buy, it processes the payment (yes even for the free stuff like steam and bibleanalyzer it goes through these motions) and Ubuntu sends me the email thanking me but nothing else happens. Maybe there is a dependence missing somewhere, I don't know.

Got it fixed. You have to run software-center as root with either sudo (in a terminal), gksu, or gksudo.

#9 CaLaColla

CaLaColla

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Got it fixed. You have to run software-center as root with either sudo (in a terminal), gksu, or gksudo.

Excuse me, I'm a newbie: How do you run software-center as root?

Do you mean: sudo software-center, from a terminal? :blink:

Is there any easier way, just clicking the icon? :)

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

The command you listed would work - sudo software-center

You can edit the launcher in /usr/share/application to launch using gksudo for a password prompt.

~Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users