Bodhi Linux Forums: add Conky as a gadget - Bodhi Linux Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

add Conky as a gadget So I could glance at conky without show/hide desktop

#1 User is offline   bodhiConvert 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Is there a way to add conky as a gadget so I could use the edge binding to bring up the gadjets and conky without minimizing all windows just to see conky, I know I could have another edge binding to show/hide the desktop, but its nice to see the current apps still and just watch/check conky or gadgets super imposed onto of the current windows.

#2 User is offline   FOREVER 

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostbodhiConvert, on 07 August 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Is there a way to add conky as a gadget so I could use the edge binding to bring up the gadjets and conky without minimizing all windows just to see conky, I know I could have another edge binding to show/hide the desktop, but its nice to see the current apps still and just watch/check conky or gadgets super imposed onto of the current windows.

Hi bodhiconvert,

I just asked myself the same question. After having searched a little bit on the internet, I found this entry on noobslab that presents an acceptable solution and some nice designs. However, I had to dig in the ~/.conkyrc file in order to find a fix to an issue I have : the transparency is not correctly handled ... and I got something working (by setting own_window_transparent parameter to no) but with a rather disappointing style : background of the gadget stayed solid black whatever I tried

However, some tests later, I found a way to have the transparency back on (by setting own_window parameter to no and own_window_type to desktop), but then, the background and the foreground were split and displayed in different areas of my screen. I finally got it working by modifying manually the positioning (gap_x and gap_y) step by step until both the foreground and the background were aligned. However, I cannot yet decide where I want the gadget to be displayed

Posted Image

Here is my .conkyrc file for Conky Tab design
##CONKY BY IACOPOROSSO####
#FUNZIONAMENTO DEL CONKY
  total_run_times 0                     #Temps en secondes ; 0 = toujours actif
  background yes                        #Pour que conky tourne en arrière plan ; no = pour les tests

#SISTEMA
  cpu_avg_samples 1                     #Nb d'échantillons pour calculer la moyenne d'utilisation CPU
  net_avg_samples 2                     #Nb d'échantillons pour calculer la moyenne d'utilisation CPU

#MEMORIA
  double_buffer yes                     #Éviter le clignotement
  no_buffers yes                        #Soustraire les mémoires tampons de la mémoire utilisée
  text_buffer_size 2048                 #Taille du cache pour le texte

#DISPLAY
  out_to_console no                     #Affiche le texte sur la sortie standard
  update_interval 1                     #Frequence de rafraichissement

#FINESTRA DEL CONKY
  alignment tr                          #Alignement
  minimum_size 148                      #Largeur minimale (px) ; 
  maximum_width 148                     #Largeur maximale (px)
  gap_x 1280                              #espace entre la bordure droite de l'écran et le gadget (default 20)
  gap_y 15				#espace entre la bordure supérieure de l'écran et le gadget (default 170)

#SCARTO DAL BORDO SUP/INF
 #---
  draw_shades no                        #Afficher les ombres
  draw_outline no                       #Afficher les contours de fenêtre
  draw_borders no                       #Afficher des contours autour des blocs de texte
  border_width 1                        #Largeur du contour
  border_inner_margin 1                 #Largeur des marges
  draw_graph_borders no
 #---
  own_window no                         #Utiliser sa propre fenêtre
  own_window_type desktop               #Type de fenêtre ; normal / desktop / overide
  own_window_transparent yes            #Pseudo transparence

#FORMATTAZIONE
  use_xft yes                           #Utiliser Xft (polices lissées etc)
  xftalpha .1                           #Utiliser Xft
  override_utf8_locale yes              #Force l'UTF8
  uppercase no                          #Tout le texte en majuscule
  use_spacer right                      #Ajoute des espaces après certains objets (qu'avec des polices fixes)
 #---
  xftfont Visitor TT1 BRK :size=9       #Police par défaut
 #---

#COLORI
  default_color ffffff                  #Couleur par défaut
 #---
  color1     000000
  color2     797979
  color3     00C2FF 

#---
  short_units yes                       #Unités courtes
  pad_percents 2                        #Unité à 2 décimales

#STRINGHE CI CARICAMENTO  FUNZIONI LUA

TEXT
#taille de l'image 
${font aller display :size=8}${image ~/.conky/bildskin2.png -p -10,-5 -s 183x270}

#contenu du gadget
${offset 25}Up   $uptime
#separateur
${offset 25}${cpubar cpu6 0,91}
${offset 25}Cpu                ${cpu cpu1} %
${offset 25}Ram              $memperc %
${offset 25}SWAP              $swapperc% 
#separateur
${offset 25}/ fs   ${fs_free /home}/${fs_size /home} 
${offset 25}Battery       ${battery_percent BAT0}%
#separateur
${offset 25}Eth0 Down       ${downspeed eth0} 
${offset 25}Eth0 Up            ${upspeed eth0} 
${offset 25}Wlan0 Down   ${downspeed wlan0} 
${offset 25}Wlan0 Up        ${upspeed wlan0} 
${offset 25} 
${offset 25} 
${offset 25} 

#3 User is offline   jazz 

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Maybe not make conky a gadget, but this is the closest thing to hide that I can get.

I installed wmctrl which lets you control/list windows/retrieve their window IDs. Wrote a script that toggles shade-left on the clocks you see on the left-hand side of this screen. I bound a key to that script so that one button shades them all and the same button brings them all back.

The digital clock at the bottom is conky. The downside is, it has to have a border; I chose pixel like the clocks above it, so it safely shades to the left without disappearing entirely. But I only did it once to try to see if it's do-able. I no longer needed ALL clocks to hide--just the top 4. So the border on conky has been eliminated.
Check out e17 screenies and art at my page, or mark your problem as SOLVED, or seek help on IRC.

#4 User is offline   swordplay 

• LocationHonolulu

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Well, that leads to the concept that you could hide it, and also set it to not show in the taskbar. Write a script to toggle hiding for the conky window, and set it to "always on top", using wmctrl. Bind the script to a hotkey, and Nan's your auntie.

Aloha.

#5 User is offline   bodhiConvert 

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Thanks guy's, I'm late getting back to this, but do appricate the fast and useful response.

I'm just playing with "wmctrl -r Conky -b toggle,below" attached to a key combo and its just what I wanted at least right now.

p.s Not head of the 'nans your aunte'

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users