Is Bodhi Linux for me?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 honeybear

honeybear

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I just stumbled on Bodhi Linux on the Internet and I kinda like the idea.

So, here is my story: I already have some experience with these distros: Ubuntu, Mandriva, Mint and Ultimate Edition, but... I can't say I'm totally satisfied so far.

I don't understand why there are so many distros out there that all seem to be in the end variations on the same theme, if you know what I mean... when it comes to properly installing best video drivers and decent compatibility for 3d gaming, oh well... they all lack.

There also is no good guide made for the newbie gamer user that migrates from Windows and meets so many problems in Linux. A good guide that shows how to properly install drivers and wine and configurations and stuff...

What I'm looking for is a very fast and very simple operating system. Also, the possibility to play some 3d games that are made specifically for Window$. I know about Wine, I installed a few games in it under Mandriva and Ubuntu but they run very slow and my mouse cannot rotate the camera accordingly...

Anyone can advice me with anything? Is Bodhi Linux really different than the rest?

Sorry for any inconvenience my post may cause. Wish you all the best.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Wine technology is wine technology - it runs the same on all distros no matter which you choose. It also typically runs games slower, I have moved out of the "hardcore" gamer I used to be some tme ago, but I still do some casual gaming on Linux using Wine - namely Starcraft 2, L4D2, and some Diablo 2 now and again. Yes, the first two games run at a slower frame rate - it comes with having to change direct 3d calls into OpenGL. I've personally found that Crossover is the best/easiest way to run Windows applications on Linux and I use it for all of the above listed games.

As far as guides go there are piles of them out there for helping you do whatever you need... Just look for them - or ask on forums such as these for help. Typically there is someone around willing to lend a hand.

Cheers,
~Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users