381 replies to this topic

#1 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

I am helping Miss Caerolle update and upgrade the documentation. She is away currently, so my revisions(almost completely limited to the quickstart pages) are the only one's available at the moment. I have completed the revisions to the quickstart pages. I am just barely going through the Bodhi Guide, so little of the updated pages are available for viewing at this moment. I still have to clean the html a bit, even more thorough grammar/syntax updating, and rename and revise the relative image links for the quickstart pages(lxappearance, lxterminal, and such), but I would like as much input as possible from the Bodhi Community. Give the ppl that use it what they want, right? ;) Please use this topic to bring up any helpful suggestions! Constructive criticism is also welcomed. Anything on it, really. :)

Here is the link to the index page.

From there, you can easily navigate to any other of the pages available. Remember, the Bodhi Guide has had very little changes at this point, so I'd suggest sticking to the quickstart pages 'til I finish with the basic revisions and reshots. Any updates I do will automatically show. The link will remain the same.

---------------------------

Also, keep in mind I have midterms right now, so I do this on free-time. :P
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

Really like what you've done with the QS so far. Great work!

On Common Software Requests, links to Gnome System Tools and Jockey GTK are broken. Also, I think it would be a good idea to link to the 32 and 64 bit versions of all of them.

Keep up the great work!

cheers
mark

#3 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Good input from THE man, himself. Thanks! :) Also, where the heck are the icons of the default icon set for Bodhi?? I don't see a "reMix" anywhere. :rolleyes: Gonna update the network-disconnected pic. The current one is from my fave malys-uniblue.
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#4 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Good input from THE man, himself. Thanks! :) Also, where the heck are the icons of the default icon set for Bodhi?? I don't see a "reMix" anywhere. :rolleyes: Gonna update the network-disconnected pic. The current one is from my fave malys-uniblue.

I think what you're looking for should be in /usr/share/icons.

cheers
mark

#5 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

On Common Software Requests, links to Gnome System Tools and Jockey GTK are broken. Also, I think it would be a good idea to link to the 32 and 64 bit versions of all of them.

By the way Gnome System Tools and Jockey GTK have been removed from the AppCenter for various reasons. Just letting ya know ;)

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#6 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

By the way Gnome System Tools and Jockey GTK have been removed from the AppCenter for various reasons. Just letting ya know ;)

Well, that would explain the broken links. ;)

cheers
mark

#7 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

:lol: Should I include the apturl command then? Or remove it completely?

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

:lol: Should I include the apturl command then? Or remove it completely?

The latter please. I'm going to go ahead and move this to the documentation sub-section on the forums.

Thanks for the good work!

~Jeff

#9 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Will do! And my pleasure to support this distro any way possible. :)

UPDATE: Software Request changes made, in accordance to Mark and Jeff. Use the Index Link on my first post and navigate to it(Common Software Requests). Feedback appreciated.

-----------------------------------
Link to Index of Updated Docs now located in my signature, as well as a link to this topic. ;) Cheers!

Edited by AntCer, 29 October 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#10 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4558 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi Antcer,

Bundled my first impressions on the quick start in a small document.

Enjoy,
Charles.

Attached File  Remarks QS-Antcer.rtf   16.35KB   10 downloads

#11 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

@Charles Loving it. Agreed on multiple points. Amazing additions. Great write-up. Efficient. Gimme MOREEE! :lol:

On a side-note: Can't BELIEVE I FORGOT TO REVISE THAT PROFILE TITLE! -_- I had edited the whole docs to read profile when it wrongly stated theme, and vice versa, because I know there is no relation to Profile & Theme also. Forgot all about the titles. :angry:

#12 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

UPDATE: Changes made, in accordance to Charles insightful suggestions. ;)
-Connect to network page updated; includes Live USB/CD section.
-E17 Page Modified; Profiles section/ Main menu/Favorites sections.
-QuickFAQ Page; Grammar fix.

Feedback appreciated.

------EDIT---------
Fixed small semantics issue I disliked in Connecting to network page. Re-uploaded. :lol:

#13 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4558 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Page E 17 Below section Profile, your format is different (Bold).

Charles.

#14 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

HOLY SNIKIES. :o How did I miss that?! Gimme a minute. :lol:
--------------
Done. Extra span tag... I guess I typed it twice accidentally. -_-

Edited by AntCer, 29 October 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#15 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

OK, got back in town a hour ago, just starting to get back engaged in things here. Looks like lots has happened! I will look through what AntCer has done, and I have some feedback from a couple of people on the Guide to Enlightenment to look at. I have to admit that stylesheets and HTML are all new to me, and on top of learning Enlightenment and Linux (and seeing how fast AntCer has already moved on things), am hoping I don't wind up disappointing people! It's definitely going to take me a little time to wrap my head around things make discernible progress.

Mark, one thing that would help, would you have some sort of styleguide or protocol for making changes, or describing the documentation workflow? It sounds like AntCer was able to directly change things? I was assuming that changes had to be made and vetted behind the scenes, likely with change control, then published to the site. I would appreciate any guidance you could give me. Of course, if anyone else has any process-related suggestions, I am happy to hear theirs, too, need to learn the process and culture for the doc projects!

Thanks so much!

caerolle :)

#16 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

:lol: All I've done is revisions. Plentyyyyy left to do.

The program I told you I'm using in the PM would help you with html, since it offers visual, split, and code options. I prefer to use the code tab, but the visual offers no perceptible disadvantages.

Also, they recommended not to change the color scheme of the pages, as well as font, so CSS changes will have to be limited to anything besides that. Plenty to improve on, though. ;)

Also also :lol:, you can guide me as to what you want to do and it shall be done. Like I said, I work better on tasks like this when given a specific assignment. No creativity. I can only improve on what I'm given, not add. :(

#17 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thanks, AntCer! Yes, I read your PM *after* I read and posted in this thread. I see that you are using Kompositor (am familiar with it, but haven't used it) and geany (which is what I have been using). My next move is to install Dropbox and figure all that out. Content *is* more in line with my experience, so hopefully we can all combine our skills and get the work done that is needed.

#18 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Glad to have some direction in my life. :lol:

I'm working on menu.html in Bodhi Guide.

#19 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

Quick Question: What are two default Bodhi applications that are not shown in the menu as of 2.1.0???

I've modified my menu extensively. -_-

---

Minor fixes in sentence structure/html: Connecting to Internet ; e17 Basics.

Not really noticeable but they annoyed me. Extraneous tags... :lol:

Also, changed nm-applet.png and midori.png.

#20 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hey there caerolle. Welcome back.

Mark, one thing that would help, would you have some sort of styleguide or protocol for making changes, or describing the documentation workflow? It sounds like AntCer was able to directly change things? I was assuming that changes had to be made and vetted behind the scenes, likely with change control, then published to the site. I would appreciate any guidance you could give me. Of course, if anyone else has any process-related suggestions, I am happy to hear theirs, too, need to learn the process and culture for the doc projects!

As far as process, looks like AntCer has been doing exactly what I've always done. That is: make mods/additions, post them somewhere off the Bodhi site, ask for input, revise, ask for input, revise. When it's "done" it's sent to Joris to upload to bodhilinux.com. I've been making .deb's of both the QS and E17Guide and sending those to Jeff to be placed in the repos, which I don't mind still doing - I haven't "resigned" from doing Bodhi docs entirely, I just needed to step back a bit.

My approach has always been to do things out in the open and gather input, kind of in the same overall spirit of Open Source. I guess having some sort of change/revision control would be a "good" thing, but the amount of people who've ever been involved in docs (an Achilles Heel of Open Source, IMO) has always been rather small, so it always seemed to me that it would add and extra layer of unnecessary complexity. Thing is, it's your baby now; handle it in the way you see fit.

To everyone: thanks for everything, all the great input and enthusiasm.

cheers
mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users