381 replies to this topic

#21 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

Thanks, Mark :)

AntCer has started an Openbox folder with the docs we are revising so we can make changes and do reviews. He or I can give you or anyone else who wants to participate the info. Right now I am trying to get Dropbox installed, have only done it once, and it has been a while (I usually use my Google). I get errors on the install with the server down, may have to wait until that is fixed.

I have also gone through the Guide to Enlightenment again, and tried out more of the menu selections. Charles sent me several pages of recommended changes, going through those also.

Right now, I'd like to get some guidance on a couple of things from the stakeholders:

First, do we have some changes we want to make immediately, to potentially clear up some confusing info, then make a second pass and clean up other things? Or just do it all at once?

Second, IIRC, Jeff mentioned EFM (and I think Terminology) at some point as a major reason for needing updates to the Guide, as these are new to Enlightenment. Do we want to add a page discussing these? At this point, the Guide doesn't discuss any apps that aren't related to using/customizing Enlightenment. I think EFM and Terminology fit in there well, esp since those two apps are so basic to using Bodhi, but it does seem a departure from the current focus of the Guide. Thoughts?

Thanks!

caerolle :)

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

@Caerolle, you don't need to install dropbox to use it. I have not installed it. Instead, I work through the web interface. If you do download and use the dropbox app, make sure to disable autosyncing! Dangerous. ;)

Riding on caerolle's coattails for change, I'd like to suggest the complete removal of lxappearance from the Guide. It is not needed at all in 2.1.0, in my opinion. The combination of Application Theme, Theme (advanced), and such have successfully replaced it in my opinion. I'd include details as to how they can be used, of course. I'd like your approval beforehand. :)

P.S. Maybe pin this topic 'til completed??
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#23 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Uhg, yes, and it turns out, to install Dropbox, I have to install Nautilus, or at least part of it. I really don't want to do that. Thanks, AntCer! :)

Another comment on LXDE apps, I wonder if we should use some app other than lxterminal in the example for setting up a Favorite using the window icon? This is in Main Menu/Favorite Applications/Adding Lxterminal to Favorites. (Oh, and right-click *or* left-click will work to open the menu). I am guessing that lxterminal was previously installed by default? I don't think it is now, so it's not available in the Main Menu (I can't tell right now, because I am in the Bodhi I have customized, and I added lxterminal straight away).

#24 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

lol changed it to terminology a while ago... Great minds think alike. ;) Check the link. I've modified up to the point of Adding Applications to the Menu. I need two default Bodhi apps that aren't listed in the menu by default... Customized menu. :( Need input. Clueless.
Take it you are still viewing the old docs on your comp?

Oh and a slight revision to the CSS is in play. Same color scheme, just a little better in my opinion. :) Don't worry, Mark & Duma! Matches well and IS NOT DRASTIC!

Edited by AntCer, 30 October 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#25 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

You changed it in the Guide to Enlightenment? I thought you were just changing the Quickstart Guide?

#26 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Ah, nice.

#27 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

I've modified the menu.html, since it wasn't anything complicated. Besides that, I've only updated a fifth of the bodhi guide pics and a tad in the intro.. :) I'm going to take a break from editing web pages and focus on screenshots, so we can sync on the editorial stuff. Also, I wanna get this CSS up in about 30 min! Hope you like it, Caerolle!! Basic, but elegant, I think. Like Bodhi.

#28 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

I was actually looking at the Guide pages that are in /usr/share/bodhi on my hard drive, btw.

#29 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

You are *way* faster at this than I am!!! :o

#30 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

Lemme put the last mod touches on the quickstart pages. Gimme an hr. After that, download the bodhi folder from Public in Dropbox so that we are working with the same pages and pace. :) I feel we should slow down(mainly me) because I overlooked a bunch of little things in the quickstart I just now corrected.. :/

LOL not really, just had a huge 3 day head start and a web design certification. :D I just like correcting and beautifying.

#31 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

(laughs)

I am headed to bed, won't be working on anything until tomorrow night. I have to use XP at work, no access to Bodhi. Really, I want to get some feedback on my questions from early before I make any big changes. I did get KompoZer, playing with it a bit to learn some HTML.

#32 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

... I'd like to suggest the complete removal of lxappearance from the Guide. It is not needed at all in 2.1.0, in my opinion. The combination of Application Theme, Theme (advanced), and such have successfully replaced it in my opinion.

I don't know if that's 100% true. While the inclusion of being able to change GTK theme (and/or match with E theme) is a nice inclusion, there is at least one thing that it doesn't handle: fonts. At least as far as I can tell. Then again, I haven't explored it deeply.

P.S. Maybe pin this topic 'til completed??

Done.

I am guessing that lxterminal was previously installed by default? I don't think it is now.

Correct. Default terminal is now Terminology.

I need two default Bodhi apps that aren't listed in the menu by default... Customized menu. :( Need input. Clueless.

Do you mean apps that are installed but aren't in the menu, or apps that just aren't installed?

If the latter, I've long been a fan of claws-mail (nice but little known email app so I like to "promote" it when/where I can). GIMP, though large, would be another good choice. Or Firefox. Or Chrome. Or VLC. etc ...

Oh, something I've noticed: when you install an app it used to show up in the menu immediately. Lately it seems that E needs to be restarted for it to show up. Might be worth mentioning.

cheers
mark

#33 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

... and a tad in the intro.

This bit:"(Note that a completely independent version of Bodhi Linux is in the works.)" is off the table. At least as far as I know.

Also, I wanna get this CSS up in about 30 min! Hope you like it, Caerolle!! Basic, but elegant, I think. Like Bodhi.

Very true, but you may want to coordinate with Joris (aka aeonius) to make sure the look stays consistent with the site, an important consideration IMO.

cheers
mark

#34 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Oh, something I've noticed: when you install an app it used to show up in the menu immediately. Lately it seems that E needs to be restarted for it to show up. Might be worth mentioning.

Great idea! Forgot about that. On the to-do. :)

If the latter,..

No, the former. :lol:
Also, had no idea the independent Bodhi was put off indefinitely! :o Good to know.

Check out the webpages. They are updated. Going to make the orange border rounded, but its okay for now. Approve or no? :o

@Caerolle You can download the bodhi folder now. My changes for the day are essentially done. :)

@aeonius Do you approve of the slight mod? If not, no worries, got the back-ups. ;) Am planning to update with webkit rounded border. By tomorrow night.

P.S. I LOVE the fact that I get to help Bodhi in some way or other besides Request Support. :D

Edited by AntCer, 30 October 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#35 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4634 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Default apps without .desktop file:

nano
vim-tiny

Both are text editors, but the only other one I can come up with is remastersys, and who wants that? :rolleyes:

Charles.

#36 mardhi

mardhi

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Mark, one thing that would help, would you have some sort of styleguide or protocol for making changes, or describing the documentation workflow?

I'm not sure if this is what you're after, and I don't think it will help with workflow, but here is a Bodhi style guide: http://wiki.bodhilin...ng_for_the_wiki. As well as using the information there, feel free to change it and add to it as you see fit. Edit: Oh, sorry, that's a style guide for the wiki, but it should probably be extended to be used as the general Bodhi style guide, to be consistent across all Bodhi documentation.

Also, if you would like to divvy up some work, feel free to send me a message via a PM (link under my name/picture to the left) with instructions about what you would like me to do ("change this", "review this"). This is my preferred method of helping at the moment because I'm a bit too busy to keep up with discussions and what changes have already been made, and it means that I can see the exact chunk of work that you need help with so I can attend to it when I can. And I do mean "when I can"! I'll get to it when work/life lets me, so there may or may not be a bit of a wait, just so you're not tapping your foot wondering whether I got the memo!
Operating at a loss for words.

#37 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

@Charles YOU ARE THE MAN! ;)

Going to include the DBus error/Notication thing into the QuickStart. Maybe in the QuickFAQ??

New CSS with Bodhi's orange Gradient done. Will be up and viewable in 20 min. ;)

aeonius, waiting on your approval to keep it.

--------------
Err, nevermind, the border wasn't extending and retracting properly upon a thorough browser test... -_-
Still, Am guaranteed to have it by tonight. ;)

Edited by AntCer, 30 October 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#38 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

mardhi,

Yes, thanks, the styleguide is awesome!

Right now I am just gathering info and trying to wrap my brain around all the parts of the current Guide and the Enlightenment system, and what changes need to be made. I am also waiting for some input from someone in charge on adding some info, on the EFM and Terminology. I don't know if those should be in the e17 Guide or not. I am hoping to get some resolution on the outstanding questions and start making revisions to offline files later this week, or more likely this weekend.

Really, I am very new here, and not in charge of the documentation, just trying to help out. With my low levels of knowledge and experience, I am thinking I will mostly be doing things under direction from other people, not telling other people what to do, lol. As you can see, I didn't even know about the styleguide, not do I know where or how to update anything. I am collecting comments on changes that need to be made, and will incorporate them into draft documents and vet them, but if anyone wants to take charge of a piece, that would be fine.

#39 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

... adding some info, on the EFM and Terminology. I don't know if those should be in the e17 Guide or not.

Yes, I would include them as they are part E and included with Bodhi by default now. You may want to include some alternatives for each (lxterminal and PCManFM, for example, especially because they had been the default) since both lack a few features that people may want/need.

cheers
mark

#40 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Ah, I see there is a documentation sandbox. Looks like it requires a different account from the user account. Lots of new stuff to learn here! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users