Bodhi Linux Forums: [SOLVED] How to Change Grub Boot Options Parameters - Bodhi Linux Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[SOLVED] How to Change Grub Boot Options Parameters

#1 User is offline   Zoffix Znet 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Hi,

How to change the boot options in grub entries? I got a solution to my previous problem where I need to press "E" on the Bodhi boot option in grub and add "nolapic" after "ro" in the options.

I want to add that option there permanently, so I won't have to edit it every time I reboot, but I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly to edit.

After googling around, I found that options are in grub.cfg file, but get rewritten when update-grub is run, so I need to edit one of the files in /etc/grub.d/, but those files have a gazillion of lines and I have no idea which one to edit.

I don't really have the time to become a grub configuration expert; could someone with knowledge, please, point my face in what needs to be edited?

Thank you.

#2 User is offline   gohlip 

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Go to /etc/default/grub, amend line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nolapic"
Save file, then update-grub

But if your computer/BIOS is less than 5 years old, you need to check why you need nolapic for it.
Cheers.
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.

#3 User is offline   Zoffix Znet 

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

Plain and simple.. Thank you! :)

I think my motherboard is simply dying. It used to work fine without nolapic for almost a year on Bodhi and for about 3 years on Ubuntu before that, but then started freezing unless I use the nolapic.

#4 User is offline   Dutchman 

• Linux Sage
  • LocationMissoula, MT USA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I don't think it's your motherboard, I have the same problem with my other desktop. And I've been seeing this crop up on the forums. It's seems to start from the 3.2 kernel onwards. Also appears to stem from a clocksource problem. Have yet to figure out what's causing it though. My other desktop has an AMD64 chip, this one and my laptop have Intel and don't seem affected.
Computers don't make mistakes, they just execute them perfectly.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users