Bodhi Linux Forums: Bodhi upgrade alters [Alt][Tab] functioning - Bodhi Linux Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bodhi upgrade alters [Alt][Tab] functioning

#1 User is offline   Dark Corner 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

I posted this question a week ago on LinuxQuestions.org and haven't received any response, so re-posting here:

Today, I "upgraded" from Bodhi 2.0.0 to Bodhi 2.0.0 (sic).

That is, prior to upgrading, cat /etc/issue returned Bodhi 2.0.0. Then, I ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. The procedure ran for some minutes and upgrades seemed to be happening. After rebooting, cat /etc/issue returned Bodhi 2.0.0.

The only differences I've noticed are: 1) Thunderbird required that Lightning be upgraded to 1.7; and 2) [Alt][Tab] to cycle between windows no longer shows me miniature versions of each window.

I am using the "composite still" setting. Previously, [Alt][Tab] would bring up a miniature version of each active window and I could use arrow keys or keep toggling with [Alt][Tab] until the cursor was on the miniature version of the desired window. I can still do that, but I can't see a miniature version of each active window. What I can see is a miniature version of the current window and faint outlines of the other windows. When I toggle to one of the other windows it, becomes black. When I toggle away from one of the other windows, it returns to a faint outline. The application running in each window is identified by tiny white lettering that is only suitable for younger eyes.

The most important thing I'd like to know is: How can I get back the miniature versions? (Feel free to enlighten me as to the correct jargon for "miniature version".)

The second most important thing I'd like to know is: Why didn't my upgrade attempt result in Bodhi 2.1.0?

The third most important thing I'd like to know is: How can I increase the size of the tiny white lettering identifying each miniature version?

Thanks,
dc

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Regarding your alt-tab issue - what profile are you using? I am guessing compositing? If so can you please try resetting your ~/.e directory (by moving/deleting it).

Re: Version # - /etc/issue only shows the core version of Bodhi you install is based on. Meaning for the entire life of 2.x.y it will read 2.0.0. To see the current version of your Bodhi release in your main menu go to Bodhi->About

Welcome to the forums,
~Jeff

#3 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostJeff, on 21 November 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Regarding your alt-tab issue - what profile are you using? I am guessing compositing? If so can you please try resetting your ~/.e directory (by moving/deleting it).

Re: Version # - /etc/issue only shows the core version of Bodhi you install is based on. Meaning for the entire life of 2.x.y it will read 2.0.0. To see the current version of your Bodhi release in your main menu go to Bodhi->About

Welcome to the forums,
~Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for your response. Yes, compositing; I guess I did not make that clear in my original post when I said, 'I am using the "composite still" setting.' I took your suggestion and moved the contents of ~/.e to a new directory. When I restarted my computer, I had to re-choose the compositing profile and all of my previous desktop settings and key bindings were gone. I am sure you were aware that would happen, but I was not at all happy. It takes way too long to go through all the unintuitive menu choices (setting modules, widgets, gadgets, transitions, bindings, and whatever) to want to go through that again. So, I have moved the previous contents back to the ~/.e directory and, perhaps not surprisingly, I still have the [Alt][Tab] problem. What were you hoping I would accomplish by trashing all of my settings? Is there a more surgically precise solution?

Regarding version: according to Bodhi->About, I am running 2.1.0. Maybe I already was prior to my "update"; no way to know now, but I am happy to know I am running the latest and greatest.

Thanks,
dc

#4 User is offline   Vatsers 

• LocationGreece

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

I don't quite get excactly what you mean by the faint outline.
The miniatures are from the comp-scale module.

Please try some of these:

a. reinstall comp-scale module
b. try using a different theme (default for example)
c. Try messing with the comp-scale settings
d. See what your alt+tab is bound to (i.e. scale Next All) etc

#5 User is offline   Vatsers 

• LocationGreece

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

try the "keep hidden windows" option
under composite -> advanced -> memory

It may be the culprit.

#6 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostVatsers, on 22 November 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

I don't quite get excactly what you mean by the faint outline.
The miniatures are from the comp-scale module.

Please try some of these:

a. reinstall comp-scale module
b. try using a different theme (default for example)
c. Try messing with the comp-scale settings
d. See what your alt+tab is bound to (i.e. scale Next All) etc

Dear Vatsers,

Thank you for the specific suggestions in this and in your subsequent post; I will try each and report what works.

By "reinstall" the comp-scale module, do you mean unload and then load, or do you mean reinstall a file or set of files from an online repository?

When I get back to that computer, I will see if I can attach a screen capture to better illustrate what I am experiencing.

-dc

#7 User is offline   ottermaton 

• Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Or you could try hsmsters

cheers
mark

#8 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostDark Corner, on 22 November 2012 - 04:12 AM, said:

What were you hoping I would accomplish by trashing all of my settings?

I was attempting to see if the issue you are having is related to a configuration setting you have changed or if it is caused by a package installed on the system.

So when you had a clean configuration - did the issue still persist?

~Jeff

#9 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I tried Vatsers's suggestions, with the following results:

a. reinstall comp-scale module. I don't find a "comp-scale" module, per se. I do find a "Scale Windows" module. When I unload the Scale Windows module, then Alt-Tab does not work at all. When I re-load the Scale Windows module, then Alt-Tab works again, but with the same problems.

b. try using a different theme (default for example). I changed to the default theme. Alt-Tab still works, but with the same problems. Changed back to A-Japan-2011 theme.

c. Try messing with the comp-scale settings. I reviewed the Composite Scale Windows settings. Not sure what this is, but none of the changes I made seemed to have any effect.

d. See what your alt+tab is bound to (i.e. scale Next All) etc. The current key binding for Alt-Tab is Select Next. I tried changing it to Select Next (All), but did not notice any effect.

e. try the "keep hidden windows" option under composite -> advance -> memory. Keep Hidden Windows was already checked. Unchecking did not make any difference.

I have prepared a screen capture illustrating the problem I am trying to cure (actually, a photograph of the screen, since I cannot collect a screen capture during the Alt-Tab function), but I am not able to attach it to this post; I get the following: Error The server returned an error during upload.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,
dc

#10 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostJeff, on 23 November 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

I was attempting to see if the issue you are having is related to a configuration setting you have changed or if it is caused by a package installed on the system.

So when you had a clean configuration - did the issue still persist?

~Jeff

Jeff,

I made a copy of e and then deleted e from .e. After warm booting I opened several applications and used Alt-Tab to toggle. I experienced the same conditions mentioned in my original post.

I then deleted e from .e and copied my previous e back into .e. After warm booting I note that the clock module has changed from digital to analog and that bounce on focus (previously turned off) has returned. Alt-Tab still does not work as expected.

I also note that the login screen seems to have changed. I now have a bar across the bottom offering drop downs for desktop (default) and language (default) and a button for Quit. In the upper right corner of the login screen there are some white letters that may be M FAT (there may be other letters, but they are not visible on the white background). I do not remember any of these elements being previously present on the login screen.

-dc

#11 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

View Postottermaton, on 23 November 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Or you could try hsmsters

cheers
mark

or spllchk and pununcuating what hsmsters

#12 User is offline   Vatsers 

• LocationGreece

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

The comp-scale module, or scale windows is what's responsible for the miniature windows.
I have found that it messes up rather frequently, especially lately with the various alphas, and even though the package is installed, by reinstalling, it magically mends itself.

try apt-get install <package> --reinstall

If it wasn't the theme, or the "keep hidden windows", then maybe just something broke during the upgrade.

#13 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Can you perhaps try changing to a non-compositing profile (desktop or laptop) and see if alt-tab works for you there? It sounds like the comp-scale plugin for alt-tabbing is simply doing something you do not like.

~Jeff

#14 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostVatsers, on 24 November 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

The comp-scale module, or scale windows is what's responsible for the miniature windows.
I have found that it messes up rather frequently, especially lately with the various alphas, and even though the package is installed, by reinstalling, it magically mends itself.

try apt-get install <package> --reinstall

If it wasn't the theme, or the "keep hidden windows", then maybe just something broke during the upgrade.

I tried reinstalling the comp-scale package using sudo apt-get install comp-scale --reinstall. After reboot there was no change in alt-tab malfunction. The comp-scale version and date were 20121002-1 and 10/04/2012, both before and after the reinstall.

-dc

#15 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

What graphics card are you using? Have you tried toggling between software/3D engines in compositing settings?

~Jeff

#16 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostJeff, on 24 November 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Can you perhaps try changing to a non-compositing profile (desktop or laptop) and see if alt-tab works for you there? It sounds like the comp-scale plugin for alt-tabbing is simply doing something you do not like.

~Jeff

Jeff,

As a reminder, the alt-tab function does work under the compositing profile of the desktop computer on which it is installed; I can use alt-tab to toggle between applications. However, the various open applications are not identified in a way that makes it possible to tell which application is which. They are either black boxes with tiny white lettering or faint outlines of boxes. That is a change from the way alt-tab functioned prior to upgrading to (or re-installing, if that's what I did) 2.1.0. I have tried to upload a picture of what I am experiencing, but the forum seems not able to accept my 136 KB JPG.

On my notebook computer, which is running the Laptop/Netbook profile under 2.1.0, the alt-tab function opens a "Select a window" dialog in the center of the screen. Repeated tabbing while holding the Alt key brings each subsequent window to the top and centers the cursor in that window.

Based on your suggestion, I tried changing the profile on the desktop computer from Compositing to Laptop/Netbook or Desktop with the following results:

1. When I changed to the Laptop/Netbook profile, I got the following error message: Enlightenment Cpufreq Module - "There was an error trying to set the cpu frequency governor via the module's setfreq utility." I clicked OK and continued with my test. I opened several applications and used alt-tab to toggle. The alt-tab function was the same as described above for my notebook computer.

2. I then changed to the Desktop profile and did not receive the Cpufreq error message. Alt-tab function was the same as described above for my notebook computer.

3. I then changed to the Compositing profile and did not receive the Cpufreq error message. Alt-tab malfunction was the same as described in my original post.

4. I then changed to the Laptop/Netbook profile and again received the error message.

5. I then changed to the Compositing profile and did not receive the Cpufreq error message. Alt-tab malfunction was the same as described in my original post.

-dc

#17 User is offline   Theophobus 

• LocationUnterschleiƟheim, Germany

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Try changing the theme, I have a similar look as you describe in some, others show just fine previews when Alt-tabbing.
FOXTROT UNIFORM CHARLIE KILO the world
My Deviantart My personal BigBodhi disk

#18 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostJeff, on 24 November 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

What graphics card are you using? Have you tried toggling between software/3D engines in compositing settings?

~Jeff

Jeff,

The graphics "card" I am using is the Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01).

I do not find anywhere to select between software and 3D engines. Under Composite Settings | Rendering I see there is a choice between Software (currently selected) and OpenGL. I tried switching to OpenGL and got a "Compositor Warning: Your screen does not support OpenGL. Falling back to software engine," although in Composite Settings the OpenGL radio button remained selected. I tried each option under Software Engine Assume swapping method, but none made any difference to the alt-tab malfunction.

Thanks for your continued suggestions,
dc

#19 User is offline   Dark Corner 

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

View PostTheophobus, on 24 November 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Try changing the theme, I have a similar look as you describe in some, others show just fine previews when Alt-tabbing.

Theophobus,

I tried changing to several different themes (A-crema, A-Genesis1, A-Japan-2011, A-Lucax4, and default), but the alt-tab functionality was not correct under any of the themes. This did not surprise me, since the alt-tab functionality was not after a theme change, it was lost after an update/upgrade.

Appreciate your suggestion,
dc

#20 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

It sounds like the graphics chip in your system is having issues with how the comp-scale module renders the preview images. Either use a non-compositing profile or change the alt-tab function on the compositing profile to do something else (look at the desktop profile to see which option it uses).

As an FYI the message about CPU setting in the laptop profile simply means the processor in your computer doesn't support E's CPU scaling.

~Jeff

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users