• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bug Squashing getting ready for Stable

#1 User is offline   ottermaton 

• Group: Members
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Reading the not-so-nice Distrowatch review combined with Stable release coming in 2 weeks got me thinking of a few things, and I decided to start this thread to open a discussion for what we should fix and/or improve before Stable. Remember, once we hit Stable there's no going back and no excuses. Your input is valuable so don't hold back. Things that are not directly related to the OS (eg: the website) can be included too.

So, here are the things on my mind:

1) Synaptic in the menu (mentioned in DW review): should be in a more accessible place. Apps -> System Tools seems appropriate. The DW guy moaned about the Menu in general, but I don't think it's bad and don't really see a vastly improved way to do it.

2) E fonts: for me they're fine, but have heard mention here and there about legibility problems. I think removing the shadow (or at least making it higher contrast) is a better solution than increasing the font size.

3) Run Everything in the Quickstart Guide: the reviewer at DW cherry picked a few negative words and grouped them together, making it seem the whole tone was negative. My bad - shouldn't have put them there for the picking. I'll fix that and try to re-work that article in general. )

4) Window Focus: kind of thinking we should default it to "Click to Focus." Users that prefer (and are even aware of) Sloppy Focus will tend to be more savvy and switch it themselves. I don't think the reverse is true.

5) Maximizing windows overlaps shelf(s): Should default so that they do NOT overlap.

6) Colors on the wikis (Main, Software, Art): I liked them at first, but have grown tired of them. The wikis are designed to be a reference of sorts (maybe not Art so much) and I think those colors in the main body (fine if they're just across the top) is distracting and have no functional value.

7) I should add an explanation of why we're using Midori to the Quickstart Guide.

What do you have to say?

cheers
mark

#2 User is offline   jschall 

• Gold Member
  • LocationMont Saint Hilaire, QC

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:26 AM

8) Lock icons for Network Manager. I had to change Icon Theme from Maxi to Gnome to get them back. Isn't it just a matter of adding a single icon to all icon sets without lock icons?

9) Get packages signed. It may be nonsense, but it seems to affect certain people. Aren't there tools for applying GPG signatures in a batch?

10) Find an EASY, GUI way to select/switch keyboard layouts. Setting up setxkbmap is just too geeky for new users.

If I think of more...
the other Jeff
----------------------------
eeePC 701 4G Bodhi Forum Members Map

#3 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

View PostJeff Schallenberg, on 15 March 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

10) Find an EASY, GUI way to select/switch keyboard layouts. Setting up setxkbmap is just too geeky for new users.

If users can't select the right keyboard setup at install then they can get down and dirty, if we want to list a GUI for it we can, but I will not preinstall one.

~Jeff

#4 User is offline   fore17 

• Group: Banned

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for this valuable thread as it helps keeping the focus on all required changes, and avoids dispersion and items to left forgotten.
And now, my 2 cents

• Agree: Synaptic in a more accessible place. Apps -> System
  • Agree: Is a must. I use to increase font, scaling to 1.20 (my tired eyes)
  • Agree: "Run Everything" is interesting but isn't yet stable, lets try not get exposed.
  • Agree: "Click to Focus."
  • Agree: Maximizing windows NOT to overlap shelf(s)
  • Agree: Colors are not needed in the wikis
  • Agree: If Midori is to keep. I would prefer Firefox
  • Agree: Fixing the NetwokManager icon
  • Agree: Security is a must but the signing may be a huge task, difficult to get ready for first stable. A matter to kiv (keep in view)
  • Not sure: most people uses one keyboard. If there isn't an easy gui to install, a wiki for setting up setxkbmap would do the work
  • Add a firewall by default in the install Cd.
  • Fix the installation of the Nvidia driver (and AMD?) in both Synaptic and the "software page"
  • Keep up the excellent work done so far with the translations.
  • Bodhi users love art and design. Lets give it the maximum visibility in the main site by adding there an individual separate link / menu to all the related pages

Jeff Hoogland is stupid

#5 User is offline   fore17 

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

15. Include hal in the install Cd to allow the "Places" gadget to work
Jeff Hoogland is stupid

#6 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

View Postfore17, on 15 March 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

Thanks for this valuable thread as it helps keeping the focus on all required changes, and avoids dispersion and items to left forgotten.
And now, my 2 cents

• Agree: Synaptic in a more accessible place. Apps -> System
  • Agree: Is a must. I use to increase font, scaling to 1.20 (my tired eyes)
  • Agree: "Run Everything" is interesting but isn't yet stable, lets try not get exposed.
  • Agree: "Click to Focus."
  • Agree: Maximizing windows NOT to overlap shelf(s)
  • Agree: If Midori is to keep. I would prefer Firefox
  • Agree: Fixing the NetwokManager icon
  • Agree: Security is a must but the signing may be a huge task, difficult to get ready for first stable. A matter to kiv (keep in view)
  • Not sure: most people uses one keyboard. If there isn't an easy gui to install, a wiki for setting up setxkbmap would do the work
  • Add a firewall by default in the install Cd.
  • Fix the installation of the Nvidia driver (and AMD?) in both Synaptic and the "software page"
  • Bodhi users love art and design. Lets give it the maximum visibility in the main site by adding there an individual separate link / menu to all the related pages

View Postfore17, on 15 March 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

1.) Done
2.) Any idea how to just scale a font?
3.) Run Everything is Plenty Stable and works even better than the popular tool Gnome Do does.
4.) Click to focus isn't changing. Once users get used to how E does it it is FAR more effective/useful than the previous way. It is one of the things I HATE about other DEs after using E.
5.) That isn't enabled by default in any profiles...
6.) Someone else can make that call. Do whatever works best
7.) And most people would prefer Chromium, thats why I choose not to clutter the disc with a 100megs of either.
8.) Network manager icons work in 0.1.7? At least they do here - are there not lock icons for passworded networks on your end?
9.) I really need to find time to write my rant on this topic SIGNING PACKAGES DOES NOT MAKE THEM ANY MORE SECURE. /rant (For now)
10.) Yea... Also don't feel this is ness.
11.) No. I don't use one and most won't need it. Maybe we can add a firewall section to the software wiki?
12.) Got a link to how to package nvidia and/or ATI drivers? I have never done it and have yet to come across a decent HOWTO for doing so. There is a reason I don't advertise the Ubuntu driver packages, I never claimed they work well with Bodhi.
15.) hal and hal-info are on the 0.1.7 livecd... Something else is causing places not to work

~Jeff

#7 User is offline   avni 

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

View Postottermaton, on 14 March 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

6) Colors on the wikis (Main, Software, Art): I liked them at first, but have grown tired of them. The wikis are designed to be a reference of sorts (maybe not Art so much) and I think those colors in the main body (fine if they're just across the top) is distracting and have no functional value.

I like colorful wikis :)

View Postfore17, on 15 March 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

I think HAL is now deprecated. It is not maintained anymore. I use Gentoo at the same time and for example in Xorg 1.8 and up deprecated HAL support has now been removed in favor of udev.

16- An idea. May be a simple way to set screen resolution. I think E17's screen resolution settings doesn't work as expected.

The following part is only user feedback ;)

For me Bodhi has everything for my daily use. I decided to use it also at work. At first glance office software libreoffice fail to satisfy me. I have also a Pardus based distro installed : Dolly It has also libreoffice is installed but it looks better and use different fonts I think. I'll try to put 2 screenshots of them so you may compare yourself. Also I recommend to give it a try because it is also Enlightenment based distribution.

And I discovered Google Docs and got the best results. It is awesome as an office software :)

So now I use Bodhi both at work and home. Thanks Jeff for producing such a great distrubution. Keep up the good work! :)

#8 User is offline   jschall 

• Gold Member
  • LocationMont Saint Hilaire, QC

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:31 PM

View PostJeff, on 15 March 2011 - 10:44 PM, said:

15.) hal and hal-info are on the 0.1.7 livecd... Something else is causing places not to work

Nope.

Hal-info is there, but not hal itself.
the other Jeff
----------------------------
eeePC 701 4G Bodhi Forum Members Map

#9 User is offline   fore17 

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

To keep up the "spirit" of this thread,
"I decided to start this thread to open a discussion for what we should fix and/or improve before Stable."

present update

• Done: Synaptic in a more accessible place. Apps -> System
  • No: increase font
  • Agree: "Run Everything" rework quick Start Guide
  • No: "Click to Focus."
  • N/A: Maximizing windows NOT to overlap shelf(s)
  • Agree: Midori in the Quick Start Guide
  • N/A: Fixing the NetwokManager icon
  • No: GPG signatures
  • Not sure: a wiki for setting up setxkbmap ?
  • N/A: "Add a firewall in install Cd". "ufw" already included
  • Not sure: Add a line in the wiki showing the command to install Nvidia driver ?
  • Agree: hal in the install Cd

Edit: any correction / update will be appreciated.
Jeff Hoogland is stupid

#10 User is offline   BrianT 

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:20 AM

On my 160G WD IDE HD GA-P35-DS3L Gigabit Motherboard with 32 bit Dual E6550 @ 2.33 3GHz CPU. Slightly older cranky Dual layer DVD burner.
I'm getting:

1) When booting from the Live CD the first message I get is "Could not find Kernel image..." I do wait about 60 seconds after this message to make sure and it does boot into the CD kernel. But the message would be scary for a noob. This isn't new to 0.1.7 I've seen It was there in 0.1.5.Could be my Drive, not sure. But I often bring up Knoppix 6.2.1 for T/Sing partition manipulation and never seen this.

2) Trying to do a 'safely remove drive' on a USB Thumb drive from the Home Folder, The folder window crashes on me and I got the pop up message window saying "Home folder stopped running unexpectedly" looking around the message information for a reason; it only said there was none.

3) In Midori I tried twice from the 'add tab' button to set a speed dial. Midori crashed both times and a pop up window came up each time that said "Midori stopped running running unexpectedly. no error message. When launching Midori after the crashes the added speed dials that I set were there. But it shouldn't crash when making one.

4) When rebooting the PC after checking out the Live CD; the CD will eject but there is no message saying to remove CD and press 'return'. It just stays there with the Bodhi splash screen. Being me; I'm always hitting return. But if I wasn't me, would I know to do that? Better to not guess.

#11 User is offline   BrianT 

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:26 AM

I kind of like the increased font idea. An over Overall general increase. I'm using a 24" wide screen with a standard, for me, 1920x1080 resolution and letters are pretty small. But that's probably not the norm.

#12 User is offline   fore17 

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:47 AM

Regarding BrianT (my system is very identical to yours):

• ok with me
  • Midori crash often in my experience, but it seems there's a reason to keep it.
  • I agree with this point.
Will try to recreate @ 2) above
Regarding @ 1) - someone else with this issue?
Jeff Hoogland is stupid

#13 User is offline   capt 

• LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

Jeff said:

11.) No. I don't use one and most won't need it. Maybe we can add a firewall section to the software wiki?

I'm confused, isn't ufw a firewall? I did the usual "sudo ufw enable" and later "sudo ufw status" and recieve the answer "active". It was inactive by default on .1.4 and .1.6 and assume .1.7 is the same? :huh:

#14 User is offline   fore17 

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

View Postcapt, on 16 March 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

I'm confused, isn't ufw a firewall?

I'm sorry. That was ignorance of mine. I didn't know about the ufw until I read your post. Thanks for pointing it.
There is a good documentation about it in the Ubuntu site, here.
Jeff Hoogland is stupid

#15 User is offline   anlem 

• LocationFinland

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

16. (or is it 17.?) Could usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch data included in live-cd? It would be much more convenient for new users who use 3G modem as their only internet connection.
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 520
Asus Eeepc 701 4G
HP Compaq nc8000

#16 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

View Postanlem, on 17 March 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

16. (or is it 17.?) Could usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch data included in live-cd? It would be much more convenient for new users who use 3G modem as their only internet connection.

Already done. Check the 0.1.7 disc - this was one of those packages I slid in quietly when I gained all that space back from replacing firefox with midori :)

~Jeff

#17 User is offline   anlem 

• LocationFinland

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

View PostJeff, on 17 March 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

Already done. Check the 0.1.7 disc - this was one of those packages I slid in quietly when I gained all that space back from replacing firefox with midori :)

~Jeff

Well, I just checked the 0.1.7 disc: modemmanager was there, but no usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch data! So you better slid in those missing packages for Bodhi stable release. ;)
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 520
Asus Eeepc 701 4G
HP Compaq nc8000

#18 User is offline   BrianT 

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

OK, I'm getting confused with the numbering scheme. I see:
Ott:1-7
Jef:8-10
for:1-15
bri:1-4
not sure about [16. (or is it 17.?)]
So I'll call these

bri:5
Cannot install Fire Fox 3.6 thru the 'Install now' - I get the below error and after closing Midori looking for Fire Fox and reopening Midori after not finding FF Midori crashes.
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox-3.6_3.6.15_all.deb: short read in
buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./opt/firefox-3.6/chrome/browser.jar')

bri:6
VLC brought up a file and played the song - but - when going back into 'open file' after the song was over and selecting another song - VLC crashed with the error pop-up.
"VLC Player Stoped unexpectedly. There was no error"

This happened on multiple tries [note:opening mp3s from a second drive not the OS install drive]

#19 User is offline   BrianT 

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the cross check. Looks like #1 worked ok for me the second time when I actually installed, so maybe fluke.
I can truly see the reason for Midori, in that it's very light and fast, but to have something so unstable on a brand new Linux Distro designed for it's speed and light weight, and given that probably 90% of the people will go straight to the Internet on a new OS, would make me nervous having it.

View Postfore17, on 16 March 2011 - 02:47 AM, said:

Regarding BrianT (my system is very identical to yours):

• ok with me
  • Midori crash often in my experience, but it seems there's a reason to keep it.
  • I agree with this point.
Will try to recreate @ 2) above
Regarding @ 1) - someone else with this issue?

#20 User is offline   ottermaton 

• Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

View PostBrianT, on 18 March 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

I can truly see the reason for Midori, in that it's very light and fast, but to have something so unstable on a brand new Linux Distro designed for it's speed and light weight, and given that probably 90% of the people will go straight to the Internet on a new OS, would make me nervous having it.

Have a look at the info I added to the Quickstart about Midori which I hope will alleviate concerns somewhat.

cheers
mark

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users