zenbook and bodhi linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Alright so I just got a zenbook and it only has a 128gb hd (ssd) and windows took up about 70gb. I need an OS that fits my minimalist zen style. And what better to go with zen than bodhi right?

Given the popularity of these new ultrabooks I was hoping to kick off a thread.

I have a UX31A and right out of the box bodhi runs great. Trackpad is slow but much better after adjusting the settings to max sensitivity. Even the 2 finger scrolling works.

However, sound is a negative. And very frustrating to try and fix if you are new to linux. I expected a learning curve but this feels like a learning cliff.
(volume slider and volume keys F11 and F12 are reversed, use volume down to increase the volume and it will work fine)

Video looks amazing though. Graphics A+, wireless without a hitch, even a theme for laptops :)

Everything is smooth except no sound and no clue what to do about it either.

Any help appreciated and thank you for this wonderful distro!

Sound is Bang and Olufsen ICEpower (what it says on the casing). Not exacty sure if that is hardware. 3rd gen ivy bridge i5 1.7ghz 4gb ram 128gb ssd hd, as far as I know integrated intel 4000 and integrated audio. For some reason the product description online doesn't mention audio hardware specifically. I can't find any drivers. Audio by Bang and Olufsen ICEpower is all the info I get :/ And they don't typically make audio cards. But man it was really nice clear sound, so I really hope it will work on Linux too.

Also...

I closed the laptop last night with full battery. It should have went to sleep and been charged this morning. It was dead. So the power-saving features do not work.

None of the F1-F9 keys work with the 'fn' key, like adjusting the brightness, etc.

However, F11 and F12 DO work for the audio, except they are reversed. The volume down button (F11) makes the volume go up, and F11 makes it go down. When it should be the other way around. But it's still nice to have the volume adjustment working.

The trackpad works but not nearly as well as it did in windows with the elantech driver. Now it feels like it is reading my EXACT touch input, without any software acceleration or 'help' and I think that a little help is needed to make the user experience smooth, because we do not all use our fingers the same way and I like to use a light touch so it feels unresponsive at times and I feel like I have to really pound the pad with my finger to click on something. And dragging the cursor from one edge of the screen to the other can take awhile if each light swipe doesn't register. So I find myself again mashing the pad and swiping to make sure it registers. Overall I feel like I am just trying too hard to make it work and a little help from bodhi would be nice Some kind of trackpad sensistivity settings? I already used the default settings under accessories to put the sensitivity at max. I need something more advanced or targeted for the elantech touchpad.

If we could get bodhi and zenbook to work together seemlessly I feel it's definitely a match made in heaven. The overall design of both just fit together very nicely.

When I have everything sorted out I will turn this post into a go-to for zenbook peeps

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 bodhibob

bodhibob

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Locationitaly

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hello, try to open a terminal and type: alsamixer to see if it is a problem of volume to move between the sliders and change the volume you do with the arrows
http://www.enlighten...97.17265807.jpg
you must see under all volume levels 00, as the screen that I posted, if you see MM means that it is muted with m key take away and put the mute.I hope you understand, English is not my language.Posted ImageCiao Roberto

#3 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Roberto thank you! I figure it out using your advice.

The volume slider is reversed. In my efforts to increase sound (raising the slider) I was actually reducing the sound to zero. And when I slide the volume slider all the way to the bottom, the volume goes up to 100% and it sounds great.

So, the audio DOES work right out of the box. Great work guys! Just a little confusing, and I'm sure I can learn how to fix it over time. I will post it here when/if I do.

Ok so I changed the theme and now the slider works correctly AND the F11 and F12 keys. I was using the default theme before (with the coffee cups, brown/tan theme) and now I am using the blue futuristic looking one. Sorry I don't know the names of them.

#4 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

spectacles!

cheers
mark

#5 Rich Tango-Lowy

Rich Tango-Lowy

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationManchester, NH USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Alright so I just got a zenbook and it only has a 128gb hd (ssd) and windows took up about 70gb. I need an OS that fits my minimalist zen style. And what better to go with zen than bodhi right?

Given the popularity of these new ultrabooks I was hoping to kick off a thread.
When I have everything sorted out I will turn this post into a go-to for zenbook peeps

I have a Zenbook on its way and will be dropping Bodhi onto it pretty quickly, so I expect to be adding to the thread. I've browsed a bunch of Ubuntu threads with useful information, but have a few questions for you.

What specific model do you have?

Did you need to do anything special with the UEFI bootloader?

Anything else I should watch out for?

Kind regards,

Rich
Rich Tango-Lowy
Master Chocolatier and part-time UNIX hack

DancingLion.us

Las cosas claras y el chocolate espeso.
Ideas should be clear and chocolate thick. ~Spanish Proverb

#6 Rich Tango-Lowy

Rich Tango-Lowy

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationManchester, NH USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Received Zenbook--jeez, what a beautiful piece of hardware! I miss my trackstick and touchscreen, but the 1920x matte display is worth the trade. Unfortunately, I'm typing thus on Ubuntu Quantal rather than on Bodhi.

Downloaded the 64 bit Bodhi and burned to a USB key with unetbootin. The UEFI BIOS refused to recognize and boot from the key. Put the key in my Thinkpad and it booted with no problem. Burned Ubuntu 12.10 to the key and it booted on the zenbook and installed with no problem. Would prefer Bodhi. Any ideas why the BIOS won't recognize the Bodhi image?

Rich
Rich Tango-Lowy
Master Chocolatier and part-time UNIX hack

DancingLion.us

#7 cukcuk

cukcuk

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hello Rich,

enter in BIOS pressing F2 at powering on the UB. Go to Boot, and disable "Fast Boot", then enable "Launch CSM", then go to Security and disable "Secure Boot Control". Save & Exit, and while the UB goes on, press repeteadly "Esc" key. Then, the USB-Stick appears in the list of devices to boot.

I think this rules for you.

Regards

cuk

Les coses clares i la xocolata espessa. <---- In Catalan :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users