What web browser do you use?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 TheEdward

TheEdward

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I use Qupizlla almost all of the time, but when i want to see some videos i must go back to Midori, because i use Gnash instead of Adobe's Flash Player, so Gnash only works on Midori.
For me, Qupizlla is really fast enough.

TheEdward
"Here, take this LiveCD"

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 rippin

rippin

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'll kick start. Numbered by how frequent I use that comp.

1.Mobile Device(phone, tablet... Mine, smartphone with native debian bodhi) is Links2.
2.Laptop is Chromium & quickbrowsing=XXXterm
3.Desktop is Chromium & quickbrowsing=Midori.

Fav is Links2.

At the moment, I have an assortment of browsers, but only for web page testing. Would like to know if I've got the populous covered.

FF 99% but links2 otherwise.
--
rippin

#23 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

I use FF almost exclusively. Nothing else compares in my book.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#24 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

So many FF fanatics. :lol:

@TheEdward Gnash? :blink:
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#25 zvacet

zvacet

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Opera and Midori,but most of the time it is Opera.

#26 Tara

Tara

Moderately Bemused

• Moderators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Firefox... because Chrome/Chromium-browser are an absolute pain in the ass to set it up not to keep a disk cache or store cookies/etc. Firefox, it's right there in the preferences. It's a command-line option in Chromium, and it still doesn't actually disable the disk cache.

Also, chrome/chromium-browser don't encrypt your passwords by default. They store them in plaintext. They can be configured to use the gnome-keyring to store passwords instead of their built in password engine, but again it's a pain in the butt to set it up because you have to edit the launcher. There's no setting in the software.

In short, Chromium simply isn't designed for privacy. Opera works well enough, but I'm happy with Firefox, so I stick with it.

#27 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I load Chromium, cache and all, directly onto RAM, so I don't really worry about all that. :lol: But I did notice my passwords, which are persistent for convenience, are in a simple text file.
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#28 caerolle

caerolle

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

So, really stupid question, and a bit OT, but where do you look for the password file for Chromium?

For me, pretty much any and all drawbacks of Chromium are overwhelmed by the ability to easily log onto my account on different systems (including the various installs I have on my home computers and on my tablet). I love having my bookmarks, Google Drive, Gmail, all that right there. There seems to be some way to kinda sorta log onto your FF account from more than one computer, but I have to admit I find it so opaque I have never been able to figure out how to do it. It does seem to require that you qualify any additional computer to the one where you set up the original account, though, which doesn't suit my needs. Yes, that seems way more secure, but secure to the point of being unusable for what I need. In particular, I rely on installing Chromium pretty much first thing after I make a new install of Linux so I can access various things.

When I was making a lot of Arch installs, I would use my tablet to access wiki entries to get to the point of having Openbox working and LXTerminal installed, then install Chromium and hit the wiki from my computer to set up most of the rest. I have a lot of bookmarks on Chrome, and use those as my Hitchhiker's Guide to a lot of things, lol.

#29 martinr

martinr

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVila do Bispo-Portugal

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

opera, also as e-mail-client, that is easy, browser and e-mail-stuff in one programm.
I do not care about security, no e-banking, no online-shopping, nothing top-secret
For flash/tube-stuff I prefer chromium, seems to be faster, that is subjectiv

Martin

#30 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

I gave up on Firefox when they started with Facebook integration (yeah, I know it's opt-in now, but it's a slippery slope).
Currently use Qupzilla/Midori/links (with framebuffer support), in order of most used to least used.

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#31 JtWdyP

JtWdyP

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Oh gawd, FF & FB getting joined at the hip??? goodbuy cruel world...

But seriously, I use three browsers in every distro I install
for any pages after which I expect to purge all history and close browser
Whether it's an online banking session, or just a site I distrust:
it's Firefox with noscript...

For facebook I keep their anti privacy contained by only going there with a browser that I use for NOTHING else:
Chomium/google-chrom

For everything else, it's Opera.

--
JtWdyP

#32 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I wish to use midori, but it gives me problem to load my alice (italian provider) mail.
So I use Firefox.
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#33 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I hear ya JtWdyP. My Qupzilla is set to remove all browsing history and cookies when I close the browser. I've also disallowed all fancy stuff like JavaScript, Flash (Don't even have that installed) and the likes.
It also supports Greasemonkey scripts, which means I can use this epic script that TeXifies stuff (and other userscripts of course). It's awesome.

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#34 Rohit

Rohit

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • LocationDelhi, India

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for suggesting Qupzilla !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users