17 replies to this topic

#1 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hey guys, some of you probably don't know me since I haven't been very active here lately. But I've been a part of this project since 0.1.6, and contributed to some of the original documentation (that's all for introductions :3).

Now, I've been thinking some and I think that - at least - the Enlightenment Guide, but probably the QS too, needs a version control system (I propose git), to make distributed 'development' easier, and to be able to track changed (and make translation easier).

I realize you're in the middle of a revision of the Enlightenment Guide at the moment, so of course I am thinking we should wait until that's done.

Any input on this proposal?

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

I have been thinking the same thing. In fact Jose set up a github page for Bodhilinux that we should be using for Bodhi Linux related stuff. I have a couple of things that I need to add to it myself. For example, the installation script templates used by our bod files. (Probably need to update them to the current version, lol)

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#3 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Excellent suggestion Timmy. Nice that Jose already has something set up to use.

cheers
mark

#4 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Love the idea. I am 100% for it, once we've finished em this time around. Genius, thy name is Timmy. :lol:
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#5 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

to quote myself from PM:
"i would say your start a public to do list at our wiki or so and also more important a changelog so meji and me can keep track of changes"
Bad Wolf

#6 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

to quote myself from PM:
"i would say your start a public to do list at our wiki or so and also more important a changelog so meji and me can keep track of changes"

I set up a wiki page here. Add/modify as you see fit.

cheers
mark

#7 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Alright, looks like overall positive feedback. I want to wait for at least Caerolle's opinion too (seeing as he's in charge of this revision, right?).
Elw3, a VCS would give us changelogs. And Mark covered the TODO bit it seems, might it not be better to have the TODO list with our git folders though?

ylee, will you take care of enabling us to push updates when the time comes?

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#8 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

ylee, will you take care of enabling us to push updates when the time comes?

Why sure :)

If I am smart enough to figure it out that is :lol:

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#9 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Why sure :)

If I am smart enough to figure it out that is :lol:

Hehe yeah, I have no experience of stuff like that, and I don't think Jose is coming back any time soon. Or is he?

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#10 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hehe yeah, I have no experience of stuff like that, and I don't think Jose is coming back any time soon. Or is he?

I hope he does but I am not sure :(

#11 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I hope he does but I am not sure :(

What happened to him anyway?

cheers
mark

#12 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

What happened to him anyway?

cheers
mark

I think a combination of work and personal problems. But I am really not in a position to speak for Jose. I do however think he will be back :)

#13 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

So, I guess it's time to start looking at getting the guides uploaded to the github. :)

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#14 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

I concur. Where exactly would I go to do this?? Is there an account already, credentials needed, etc?
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#15 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Well, it seems ylee and Jose has the ability to upload to this github, so either one of them pushes it, or they give us the ability to push commits. (I vote for the latter, since that will be needed anywho).

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#16 AntCer

AntCer

Has the Python Fu

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Location92324

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Sounds good. Voting for the latter suggestion, too. :lol: Be inconvenient the other way. Let's get this show on the road!

#17 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Well, it seems ylee and Jose has the ability to upload to this github, so either one of them pushes it, or they give us the ability to push commits. (I vote for the latter, since that will be needed anywho).

Timmy I added you to the BodhiLinux Github team with full admin rights. If you have time to create repos for the quickstart and e17 guide and push the latest versions that would be great. Please :)

After that we (Me, you or Jose) can add any that work on the documentation as collaborators on those 2 repos. They don't really need admin rights. I am not sure if they need a github account or not but it would prob be best if they did.

#18 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I am closing this thread as this is now in place. Please continue this discussion at the new thread: Bodhi Documentation is now on Github!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users