Bodhi Linux Forums: BenQ S6 - Bodhi Linux Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BenQ S6

#1 User is offline   gaytor_bayt 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I have a BenQ S6 [I wish I would have researched a bit better before I bought it] that I'm wanting to put a REAL 'nix system on. I saw in the LUbuntu forum a lot of BenQ questions and I know Canonical was working with BenQ for awhile. Does anyone know if Bodhi would install to the BenQ S6? It only has 2 gigs of memory but will accept a 32 gig scard. I'll mostly use it as a portable library/ereader and maybe some music. Thx in advance.

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

If there are install instructions for getting Ubuntu running on a device that generally means you isn't too hard to get another distro running on it.

If you provide links to resources about getting a Linux distro running on this device I can point you in the right direction of how to get started.

~Jeff

#3 User is offline   gaytor_bayt 

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

There isn't a lot of info about the S6 as evidently it was intended to be sold in Italy instead of the U.S. Installing 'nix to the system isn't a big deal. Just install it with a flash drive and a mini adapter. The big deal evidently seems to come with the wifi. Again, I can't find a lot of info. I have no clue as of yet what precisely is on the one I have. I'm waiting on a power supply. I was frusdtrated and just grabbed it from Ebay and didn't read the entire listing. I saw Linux as the OS. Later I saw Win7, which I doubt uless it's a hacked Win7. BenQ S6 originaly came with Red Flag and very few apps. They to my knowledge haven't released the source code and there has been probs getting the wifi to work due to not knowing the source code. Evidently the hardware is kernel specific. This puzzles me because it's comprised on Intel hardware which runs 'nix fine.

Ubuntu 8.10 supposedly worked fine on the S6 and Ubuntu/Canonical was collaborating with Red Flag during that time. I however can't find anything specific on BenQ itself beyond now a U.S. link leads me to believe BenQ is being made in the U.S. Most 'nix distro's now come with software that autofinds the wifi device and uses the proper drivers. Hopefully I'm needlessly fretting over spending money on junk like I did with an older Mac.

I can't find much of anything for current info on Red Flag other than it's used in China.

I already know I'll have to wait for the power supply, which cost more than the device and go from there. I was just hoping there would be info here on it and I would know in advance I could install something light that I could trust to have the few apps I would want and up to date.

Thx in advance J.

#4 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

ARM devices are often near impossible to know what will work/what won't without actually working with the device. So many random closed source ARM chipsets it is hard to keep track of them all.

~Jeff

#5 User is offline   gaytor_bayt 

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

I found some specs for it @ http://fortysomethin...d-benq-s6.html. It's identical to mine. Based on what this guy said it uses an 800mhz Atom CPU, Intel GMA 500 GPU, 3G WLAN modem, USB and microsd. Based on the manufacture date it will have a 2 gig hd w/ Red Flag Linux on it. Research says Ubuntu is currently the best bet for touch screen drivers.

Afaik, everything looks 'nix compatible unless you see/know something I don't. Research says Ubuntu is the way to go currently for touch screen drivers. A plus is, they worked with BenQ/Red Flag at this time period. Did you port the touch screen drivers over? If yes, where is a walk through on partitiong a swap and / for one of these things and installing Bodhi?

#6 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

That link is dead.

If it is an atom CPU that means it is an x86 device and you should install our normal desktop release on it. Any drivers that work with Ubuntu should be compatible under Bodhi since we are derived from there.

~Jeff

#7 User is offline   gaytor_bayt 

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I understand how to install w/unetbootin even though I've never done it. This is nothing more than a tablet pc with no mouse or keyboard. Is it still a challange to set the device up like your vid on youtube @ ? With just the standard install will I have to find a usb keyboard and mouse? Sorry for sounding like a helpless whiner but I'd like to know certain things ahead of time if possible.

One more question if I may. I'll be using this as an ereader and music. More than likely all I'll install is Calibre w /ebooks, QMMP w/1 skin and music but store it all on an sd card. How big is the standard install so I'll know how much swap I can safely make?

Well crap! I didn't intend for the link to pop up on the forum like that. Sorry if it isn't allowed.

#8 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm moving this thread to the normal request support as there doesn't appear to be an ARM device.

Because it is a normal desktop system installing should be the same as any normal PC. Boot up the live image, walk through the installer.

The default install uses around 1.4 GB in space. I've installed a system before just using a touch screen with out tablet profile with no physical keyboard.

~Jeff

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users