• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sylkie

sylkie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCentral Point, Oregon

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Over the last weekend I installed Bodhi 2.1.0 on an aging desktop that had been limping along under a dual boot MS DOS 6.22 and Win2k SP3. I actually shed a tear to wave goodbye to my old friend Win2k. I've developed user software for Windows since Windows 3.1, mostly databases using various RAD tools. My main development machine has been an old XP box, also nearing the end of it's useful life, but I was facing yet another Windows conversion with Win 7, and now Win 8. I had a very bad experience with Vista which made me sit up and take stock. So I ran across Bodhi as a recommendation on a Linux distribution page. I'd installed various flavors of Linux before... old slackware stuff, a couple of Debian distributions and a Red Hat sometime back. I'd looked at Ubuntu, booted it a few times to look around. I actually started my career on old IBM mainframes, back in the 1970's. The IBM mainframe DOS was my first operating system... so I'm really happiest flopping around inside the shell.

So I found Bodhi... burned a CD and installed with absolutely no issues whatever. Installed a few apps, Mongodb, Geany... discovered the terminal tab in Geany and laughed myself silly, what an obvious tool! I'm working my way through all of the docs I can find now, and when I find something interesting I just plop to a terminal session and play. I have not had this much fun with software in over twenty years. I cannot but thank the entire Bodhi group, from the bottom of my heart, for making this exceptional distribution available! I'm loving Enlightenment and Bodhi's Debian sensibility is showing through clearly. Kudo's!

Richard
AKA the sylkie (it's a long story)
Cheers!
Richard

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Welcome to the forums mate! Thanks for the kind words.

~Jeff

#3 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi sylkie and welcome to the forums.

I started programming myself on an IBM 360 :lol:

Thanks for your kind words and we are of course delighted you find Bodhi to be an enjoyable OS. It is esp great if you have no fear of cli and are willing to learn and/or have underpowered old hardware. If you like to code Bodhi and linux in general has alot to offer :P

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#4 ottermaton

ottermaton

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Locationlancaster, pa

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Very nice. Welcome aboard.

cheers
mark

#5 cfybiaeeiaeasyniaeecfy

cfybiaeeiaeasyniaeecfy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

So I found Bodhi... burned a CD and installed with absolutely no issues whatever.

I was on the same track as you this morning, until I got stuck when I discovered that.. the Fujitsu LH530 machine that I was working on.. somehow or rather objected to me burning the Bodhi Linux ISO onto the CDR that I loaded onto the disc drive. I stayed on with my windows, and I am sorry about that, windows is fine it is just.. it is just.. Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users