~Jeff

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I notice you recommend no more than 9GB be allocated to Bodhi, yet you said elsewhere that you allocated 8GB on your own device. What criteria ought one to apply to make that decision?
Bob Rashkin

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

It applies to how much data you have on your ChromeOS. If you don't plan to use ChromeOS (or if you don't plan to have any local data on it) you can push it up to 10GB easy for Bodhi (this leaves about 1gig for ChromeOS).

~Jeff

#4 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

(this leaves about 1gig for ChromeOS).

~Jeff

Meaning that the ChromeOS itself takes around 5 gig (the spec says 16G storage)? That seems incredibly heavy for no apps at all, doesn't it?
Bob Rashkin

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Meaning that the ChromeOS itself takes around 5 gig (the spec says 16G storage)? That seems incredibly heavy for no apps at all, doesn't it?

The default Chrome Partition is 11gigs - I am assuming the other 4ish gigs goes to system reserved stuff for resetting your chromebook. Eventually we will have an installer that will just put Bodhi on the whole drive - for now this is just a start :)

~Jeff

#6 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Great. I'm not complaining at all. I can't wait until Amazon gets around to fulfilling my order (well, I say I can't wait but I'll just have to, right?).
Bob Rashkin

#7 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

It applies to how much data you have on your ChromeOS. If you don't plan to use ChromeOS (or if you don't plan to have any local data on it) you can push it up to 10GB easy for Bodhi (this leaves about 1gig for ChromeOS).

~Jeff

Ok. Now I'm intrigued. Why would I want to use ChromeOS if I have Bodhi?
Bob Rashkin

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

Ok. Now I'm intrigued. Why would I want to use ChromeOS if I have Bodhi?

Flash is the one thing that comes to mind. Adobe has zero flash binaries for Linux ARM anything. ChromeOS has it though.

~Jeff

#9 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

Ah. For that. I have a Kindle Fire.
Bob Rashkin

#10 Rohit

Rohit

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • LocationDelhi, India

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

This Is How You Can Install Bodhi Linux On Chromebook!

http://news.efytimes...x-On-Chromebook

#11 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

As discussed in the Installation Issues topic, I ran into issues installing Bodhi on my Samsung (ARM) Chromebook because of changes to ChromeOS. I have posted my steps in a blog post here.
--Chris

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Updated first post with a link to my new post for getting our latest file system working.

~Jeff

#13 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Sorry to be dense but I don't quite get how to install to an external medium. Let's say I put an 8G SD card in the slot. In the preamble you say: "When you run the second command in step three, simply provide an install target as the first argument (such as /dev/sda for a flash drive) and then press ctrl+u to boot tell the Chromebook to boot from an external media at start up." So, Step3:
"Step 3 - Download and run Bodhi installer
From the tty run:
wget http://goo.gl/HFG6a
Followed by:
sudo bash HFG6a
"
That seems to say that to load Bodhi onto the SD I would use "sudo bash /dev/sda". Is that correct?

Further, "then press ctrl+u to boot tell the Chromebook to boot from an external media at start up." Does that mean press Ctrl+u during boot?
Bob Rashkin

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

SD cards generally appear at /dev/mmcblk1 in the Chromebook. So to install to one you would run:

sudo bash HFG6a /dev/mmcblk1

At startup you should get the message that OS something or other is disabled. You press ctrl+d to boot from the internal media or ctrl+u to boot from an external source.

~Jeff

#15 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Great! Thanks. (In retrospect, that seems like exactly what you said the first time. Sorry.)
Bob Rashkin

#16 Fox7799

Fox7799

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA, USA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

I tried to install the new January 2014 Bodhi image today and after the first part of step 1 where I got 'Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.' nothing happened when I entered ctrl-d. I copied the http://goo.gl/HFG6a image to an SD card and tried ctrl-u but that didn't work either. I can currently go back and forth between the previous Bodhi OS and Chrome OS with everything working. It would sure be nice if we could just to a Bodhi upgrade to the new image in Synaptic but that might be too hard with the existing system. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

If you had a previous Bodhi install on your Chromebook internal storage and are trying to install this new image to that same location you need to purge the old Bodhi install first.

The cleanest way to do this is to download the Chrome recovery utility and reset your Chromebook to factory defaults.

You can simply dist-upgrade to the latest E17 packages. You won't however get Chromium/Flash/other goodies that require specific user configurations. The package manager is not intended to touch these parts of the system.

~Jeff

#18 Fox7799

Fox7799

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA, USA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

I have been unable to download the Chrome recovery utility even though I tried every different way and was able to do it previously. What would happen if I did a hard reset by pressing refresh + power on boot and spacebar in accordance with https://support.goog.../answer/3227606 ? If unable to solve this I could get by with the current dual boot for awhile. Thanks.

#19 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

I have been unable to download the Chrome recovery utility even though I tried every different way and was able to do it previously. What would happen if I did a hard reset by pressing refresh + power on boot and spacebar in accordance with https://support.goog.../answer/3227606 ? If unable to solve this I could get by with the current dual boot for awhile. Thanks.

You should be able to download and create the Chrome recovery USB flash drive or SD card on any computer. It is explained here. You will note it has instructions for Chrome, Windows, Mac, and Linux. I don't know if you tried that already or if you have a different computer to create the drive/card on. If you have no luck doing that then, unless Jeff is doing something in his script I am not aware of, it should be possible to manually replace your old Bodhi with the new one on the card without starting from scratch, assuming you want the same Bodhi partition size. Jeff will correct me I am sure if I am wrong. ;) I have been working with debian Jessie on a USB drive (bootable) and I have replaced the root file system numerous times without starting from scratch. But there is a a series of steps involved and the safest way is clearly to start with a fresh system recovery.
--Chris

#20 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

I said you can manually remove the Bodhi file system. You need to drop to a command line in Chrome OS, mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 and wipe out the root FS stored there.

~Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users