• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Fox7799

Fox7799

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA, USA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

SOLVED: Originally I avoided the Windows option in https://support.goog.../answer/1080595 but I was desperate to create a recovery disk, tried it and was successful. It seems the recovery disk options in Linux and ChromeOS need some improvement. Then I went through the Bodhi install. Flash video and Chromium browser works. Google hangouts still needs a plugin so I hope that is solved soon. I couldn't get movies to play on VLC but will get back to that later along with all the other tweaks. If I have to do this again I'll try Jeff's suggestion of dropping to a command line in Chrome OS, mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 and wipe out the root FS stored there.
Thanks for the help.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

The tool for making a recovery USB on Linux code really use a GUI. That being said, I've used it a number of times and it does in fact work.

We haven't really done any work towards trying to make google hangouts work. I haven't even confirmed the webcam even works under Bodhi. Will add it to my TODO list. Have you tried an open source video chat method?

If you are dead set on Google hangouts try poking through the browser plugins on the Chrome rootfs.

~Jeff

#23 Fox7799

Fox7799

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA, USA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:40 AM

Kmplayer plays videos nicely on the new January 2014 Bodhi install and I got sound working by entering the following in the konsole:
amixer sset "Right Speaker Mixer Right DAC1" unmute
amixer sset "Left Speaker Mixer Left DAC1" unmute

I tried taking a webcam photo with cheese but it apparently needs a little more work. This is so close to being an amazing ARM laptop!

Screenshot at https://lh6.googleus...19_17-29-28.jpg

#24 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Kmplayer plays videos nicely on the new January 2014 Bodhi install and I got sound working by entering the following in the konsole:
amixer sset "Right Speaker Mixer Right DAC1" unmute
amixer sset "Left Speaker Mixer Left DAC1" unmute

Those commands (or something close to them) should be run automatically at start up in the /etc/rc.local file.

Audio works by default on new installs for me with Gstreamer applications. Haven't tried mplayer based applications yet thuogh.

~Jeff

#25 Fox7799

Fox7799

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA, USA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Videos play nicely with sound by default for me on kmplayer and other software. I have used KDE for a long time so am used to it. However I haven't yet got sound to go out to a connected external speaker. I probably need to adjust something in Alsamixer? Sometimes I get the battery is low warning when it is not low. With the Chrome browser (not Chromium browser) you can run apps. I wonder if there is a way to install this on a Bodhi Chromebook.

#26 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

The version of Chrome we managed to get built is fairly older (like 22 I believe) so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't support "apps".

I haven't had any luck getting the headphone jack to work to date. If you find some combination of settings that work with it please let me know.

~Jeff

#27 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

I have version 31 of chrome (chromium-browser) compiled for Ubuntu working on my debian-jessie image. I plan to make the debian-jessie stuff for chromebook available in the near future. I also have the Mali GL stuff working so you can use OpenGL compositing. But I am trying to get e18 to at least start without immediately segfaulting. So far, no one has been able to assist me.
--Chris

#28 failure

failure

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

This works much smoother that the ChrUbuntu i was running. Flash playback works, trackpad works, youtube works, sound works, however, i cannot get video playback to work. It works when i hover over the video file in the file manager window, i see the little preview and that works, but I cant get playback working in kmplayer or vlc =[ video playback worked out of the box for you guys? when i open a video in kmplayer it just opens kmplayer and nothing happens, same with vlc

edit: got it to work, i didnt realize i had to install mplayer and kmplayer, i previously only had kmplayer installed. Now it works. Thanks!

as for the headphone jack, someone said they got it working in arch linux by doing this
"Alsamixer, turn off/mute all the switches except for these:
DMIC1 Left, DMIC1 Right, Left ADC Mixer MIC2, Left Headphone Mixer Left DAC1, Left Headphone Mixer Right DAC1, Left Speaker Mixer Left DAC1, Left Speaker Mixer Right DAC1, MIC2 External Mic, Right ADC Mixer MIC2, Right Headphone Mixer Left DAC1, Right Headphone Mixer Right DAC1, Right Speaker Mixer Left DAC1, Right Speaker Mixer Right DAC1
And you should have sound. There's no speaker/headphone autoswitch, but I just leave Headphone unmuted and mute my speakers when I want headphones.
Oh, and turn the sound down a bit before you test it. It's quite loud."

http://www.reddit.co...re_neat/caava9w

I would try it but im not linux savvy enough to know how backup the current working alsamixer settings just incase i screw up

#29 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:17 AM

Good find! I'll have to play some of the settings when I get a chance to see if I can make audio come out of the headphone jack.

~Jeff

#30 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

In my debian jessie filesystem, I have had audio working from the headphones as well. I haven't checked yet whether it works from the speakers yet though. ;)
--Chris

#31 Fox7799

Fox7799

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA, USA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

I now have sound on both Chromebook and external speakers. You just need to have those headphones and speaker mixers turned on as listed above. Actually I have more turned on than listed above but it works.

#32 failure

failure

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

yayyy I followed my own post and got the headphone jack working wonderfully. This pretty much makes bodhilinux almost perfect for the chromebook for what i use it for. now i need to figure out how to get hibernate and suspend to work.

#33 rokky

rokky

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

I installed whatever was current about 2 days ago on my Samsung XE303, and it went fairly well to an SDHC card (helped that I was re-using a ChrUbuntu KDE "mess", so did not need the 2nd reboot). I have tried several times now to install software like Abiword and Firefox with menu item for the GUI via Chromium, but after that pops up a new browser window, nothing else happens.

I did install Abiword via the command line, and that went fine (although I had to backup up a bit and do the "apt-get update", then "--fix-missing" for Abiword). Hoping that got the needed repository/package update stuff done, I tried again for FF, but still just a "dead" browser window is all I got.

I can keep using apt-get, but it would be nice to work from those suggested bundles and apps in Chromium. Any suggestions?

TIA,
RO

#34 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

I installed whatever was current about 2 days ago on my Samsung XE303, and it went fairly well to an SDHC card (helped that I was re-using a ChrUbuntu KDE "mess", so did not need the 2nd reboot). I have tried several times now to install software like Abiword and Firefox with menu item for the GUI via Chromium, but after that pops up a new browser window, nothing else happens.

I did install Abiword via the command line, and that went fine (although I had to backup up a bit and do the "apt-get update", then "--fix-missing" for Abiword). Hoping that got the needed repository/package update stuff done, I tried again for FF, but still just a "dead" browser window is all I got.

I can keep using apt-get, but it would be nice to work from those suggested bundles and apps in Chromium. Any suggestions?

TIA,
RO

What do you mean install "via Chromium"? Are you trying to use the Bodhi AppCenter in the browser? Why don't you try:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

if it is not installed already. And then try to use synaptic to install packages.
--Chris

#35 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4440 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

The Midori browser has the apt-url function ootb. There is AFAIR a plugin for firefox to get that functionality, I don't know about Chromium plugins.

Enjoy,
Charles.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#36 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

The app center does not support arm devices. Please use the command line or synaptic as suggested.

#37 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well, still you will probably find issues. For instance, I used it and looked at email clients. It listed Thunderbird as one (I have used it for years). I tried to download it and it failed. There is no Thunderbird in debian. They use the unbranded version, Icedove. Additionally, because the Bodhi ARM-based system is based on Debian instead of Ubuntu and because of the lack of many ARM packages, many packages the Bodhi AppCenter will list are just not available. Maybe use AppCenter as a Guide but use Synaptic to find what is really there.

Since I had used Synaptic anyway for years, I gave up on the Bodhi AppCenter for use with the Samsung Chromebook.

Edit: Sorry I had not seen Jeff's post when I posted this.
--Chris

#38 Hirage

Hirage

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

Are the Bodhi on Chromebook devs aware of following?
http://malideveloper...-space-drivers/

#39 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Those are already in use on our latest testing file system. It is how we have opengles support.

~Jeff

#40 Hirage

Hirage

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Then does the driver require some trick to enable the acceleration? I am stuck with mesa's software rendering.

libGL error: failed to load driver: armsoc
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
When I try to run a game.

libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/tls/armsoc_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying ${ORIGIN}/dri/tls/armsoc_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying ${ORIGIN}/dri/armsoc_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen ${ORIGIN}/dri/armsoc_dri.so failed (${ORIGIN}/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/tls/armsoc_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/armsoc_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/armsoc_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: armsoc_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: armsoc
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/swrast_dri.so
After addition of the LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose flag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users