Bodhi Linux Forums: The Goose is Loose - E17 Stable Working in Testing - Bodhi Linux Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Goose is Loose - E17 Stable Working in Testing Bodhi 2.2.0 Builds

#1 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

OK folks - the cat is out of the bag. E17 stable is functional in the testing repo:

Posted Image

Please note at this time I am seeing some stability issues with terminology - but other than that no issues of note.

Also - all the default Bodhi profiles have been updated - please given them all a try and let me know what issues you see with them. I am going to be working a great deal in the next week to bring a 2.2.0 disc to the public - will be opening a new thread here once we have ISO images to test.

Cheers,
~Jeff

#2 User is offline   ViperDVMan 

• Group: Members
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

That's very nice that we have the stable E17 at least in the testing repos. I myself am not using the testing repos, but I do wonder who here is and how it works outside of Jeff's obervations :)
Posted Image
banner made by Viper Inferno

Linus Torvalds begot Linux, Linux begot Debian, Debian begot Ubuntu, Ubuntu begot Bodhi Linux

Student of the Bodhi School of Enlightenment

#3 User is offline   henrythemouse 

• LocationSan Diego, CA USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for all the effort in getting this running, even through the US holiday season.

I'm using the testing repo, 64bit laptop.

I started out by removing the ~/.e folder.

Using the default theme.

I'm having one issue that is not resolving with repeated tries. I am only able to use the Bare profile when I start up e for the first time. All other profile selections cause e to segfault. In addition if I try to load the EFM module afterward e will segfault. My conclusion is that any profile that includes EFM will segfault, since they all seem to show a EFM desktop except for the Bare profile.

Although I don't use it, the calendar module will not load (it is not found). Also, as reported earlier, the forecast module's zip code input field is nothing but a line. I've been unable to input anything there.

Thanks again for all the work you've put into Bodhi!

#4 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Did you perform a full system upgrade henrythemouse? There is a package that pulls in brand-spanking-new E profiles that are needed with these latest E packages.

~Jeff

#5 User is offline   smurfslover 

• LocationBelgium

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

After dist-upgrade to these packages i found my keyboard put back to qwerty instead of Belgian Azerty, not only in e17 but same for lxdm. After enabling keyboard module in e17 and choosing right layout all went back to normal.

#6 User is offline   Duma 

• Artist
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostJeff, on 27 December 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

Also -ma all the default Bodhi profiles have been updated - please given them all a try and let me know what issues you see with them. I am going to be working a great deal in the next week to bring a 2.2.0 disc to the public - will be opening a new thread here once we have ISO images to test.

Cheers,
~Jeff

The compositing Profiles start with composite module unloaded and with dropshadow module loaded, maybe should be to correct ;)

Other thing... do you know why my .pdf icons looks terrible? :D
Posted Image
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#7 User is offline   Charles@Bodhi 

• Old Faithful
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

First observations.

Profile Selector:

Description for Bare.
Clock Module is no longer loaded.

Description for Compositing is wrong ?
No Composite loaded. Layout is vertical shelf left giving larger vertical workspace.
If staying like this you might consider renaming the profile (p.e. Wide Screen ??)

Desktop seems unmodified, OK.

Fancy, this time even EFM Operations module is enabled, don't remember having seen that before. OK

Laptop seems unmodified, OK.

Tiling looks like current Composite, but this one has composite loaded (and tiling of course).

Can not check Tablet here, missing hardware :(

Systray Icons:
Still a bit off in default and other themes. The only one resizing them right that I have found this far is Magic-Bodhi, but that comes with a very dark background for it.

Using virtual desktops settings dialog to set wallpapers now works and no longer causes segfaults. Great.

Will keep on testing.

Enjoy,
Charles.
Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 8.1, Bodhi 2.4.0-64
EEE Box202, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, WIN-XP SP3, Bodhi 2.3.0-32_non-pae
EEE PC 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Tripleboot Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae: E17-stable, E17-testing, E18-testing

How to mark a thread as [SOLVED]
The Bodhi Guide to Enlightenment

#8 User is offline   Duma 

• Artist
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostCharles@Bodhi, on 28 December 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Systray Icons:
Still a bit off in default and other themes. The only one resizing them right that I have found this far is Magic-Bodhi, but that comes with a very dark background for it.

Can you try systray with my theme too? Thank you! :D
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#9 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Good catch on those profile niggles folks - updating those now.

~Jeff

#10 User is offline   Charles@Bodhi 

• Old Faithful

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Another profile glitch.

Bare profile is missing the mainmenu entry for system (power off and the like). Is this on purpose?

Charles.
EEE PC 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Tripleboot Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae: E17-stable, E17-testing, E18-testing

#11 User is offline   henrythemouse 

• LocationSan Diego, CA USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

View PostJeff, on 28 December 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

Did you perform a full system upgrade henrythemouse? There is a package that pulls in brand-spanking-new E profiles that are needed with these latest E packages.

~Jeff

I did. But just to be sure, I did it again tonight. And that pulled in bodhi-profiles ver .89. I removed my .e folder again and started e from the lxdm login. Unfortunately, I must report that the same situation exists. E crashes when I attempt to load any profile except Bare, and it crashes when ever I attempt to load EFM.

However, I see from the other posts that others are not experiencing this problem. So, I can only conclude that I have something unique in my system that is causing it. I've had this issue with EFM before and posted on Bodhi Forums about that problem. The problem ended up going away on it's own after many months of use. I also run a current version of Ubuntu on a seperate partition with the E ppa enabled and EFM works fine there, so doesn't look like a hardware problem. I've tried Bodhi in a VM and had no problems with EFM there. Seems to me that it must have something to do with my system configuration.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to see if I can change this behavior.

I'm not asking anyone (especially you Jeff) to spend any time on this issue. It's just too unique to bother with. It will probably resolve itself over time anyway ;-).

#12 User is offline   AntCer 

• Has the Python Fu
  • Location92324

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Can't enter text in the Desktop Entry Editor in the General tab.

Bug with E17 or themes?
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#13 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:26 AM

View PostCharles@Bodhi, on 28 December 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

Another profile glitch.

Bare profile is missing the mainmenu entry for system (power off and the like). Is this on purpose?

Charles.

That is intended. After so many comments about the inclusion of the clock in past bare profiles I stripped out even MORE from it this time around.

@Antcenter - what do you mean desktop entry editor? What theme are you using? To always pin down a theme bug VS an E bug, switch to the default theme.

~Jeff

#14 User is offline   AntCer 

• Has the Python Fu
  • Location92324

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

Persists in the default theme. Could it be a profile issue?

Posted Image
Bodhi QuickStart Index Page -- Updates are automatically viewable via link. Take a couple seconds to view. ;)

#15 User is offline   Charles@Bodhi 

• Old Faithful

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostAntCer, on 29 December 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

Persists in the default theme. Could it be a profile issue?

I noticed this as well. I had the impression that it might have to do with privileges as for most .desktop files you need to be root to modify. This could be an E17 decision.

Any sysadmin would use a texteditor probably.

Charles.

#16 User is offline   smurfslover 

• LocationBelgium

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostCharles@Bodhi, on 29 December 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

I noticed this as well. I had the impression that it might have to do with privileges as for most .desktop files you need to be root to modify. This could be an E17 decision.

Any sysadmin would use a texteditor probably.

Charles.

Permissions are not the issue as the changes are saved locally in ~/.local/share/applications/ and not in the system wide .desktop files. So the changes one user does do not affect other users on the system. I can make changes in the other tabs except for the 'General' tab.

#17 User is offline   AntCer 

• Has the Python Fu
  • Location92324

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I also do not think permissions are an issue.

I can't believe this went unnoticed by the e team so I am forced to believe theme or profile issue, though it does not work in the default theme either. Maybe last minute changes to edje for the stable release broke this??

#18 User is offline   AntCer 

• Has the Python Fu
  • Location92324

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

There is a penguin module package in the testing repo. It does not seem to work now that I've upgraded to stable. Error when loading. Is it still going to be available in the repos or does it not function with the stable e17? So I can remove it from the Module Reference page.

#19 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostAntCer, on 30 December 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

There is a penguin module package in the testing repo. It does not seem to work now that I've upgraded to stable. Error when loading. Is it still going to be available in the repos or does it not function with the stable e17? So I can remove it from the Module Reference page.

Please remove penguin and calendar module references. They are no longer maintained and I am not looking into packaging them before our 2.2.0 release.

~Jeff

#20 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

I can reproduce the issue with the entry in the general section of the launchers - can someone please go file a report on trac.enlightenment.org with the details and link to it here?

While this is obviously a bug - I don't think it is worth holding our release for (very minor issues that should be fixed via a later update) Thoughts on this?

~Jeff

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users